The paper deals with corrosion degradation of gas pipeline.
Pipelines play very important role as means transporting
gas media over long distances from producers to end-users.
Gas pipelines present a risk of potential corrosion degradation
that can result in their failure. Corrosion on internal surfaces
of steel pipes takes place in CO2, H2S, H2O and chloride environment.
Degradation of steel results in loss of mechanical
properties, reduction in thickness and ultimate perforation and
failure. Corrosion is the electrochemical process that involves
the fl ow of electrical currents on a micro or macro scale. For
corroding steel, the anodic and the cathodic reactions produces
the electrochemical cell. Corrosion protection of internal
pipeline surface is based mainly on chemical composition of
gas and the use of inhibitors. Corrosion protection of the external
steel surface of the product line involves coatings and
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Gas and Oil Pipelines in Europe Current Issues in Education
2013 [Online] Available: www.europarl.europa.eu.
[Accessed Dec 2013].
2. Burda T. Development of a model for evaluation of risk in
Slovak gas transport systems Slovgas 2007 6 12-13 (In
3. Pipeline Performance in Alberta Alberta Energy Regulator
Report 2013-B Current Issues in Education 2013 [Online]
pdf. [Accessed Aug 2013].
4. Tawancy H.M. et al. Analysis of corroded elbow section
of carbon steel piping system of an oil–gas separator vessel
Case Studies in Engineering Failure Analysis 2013 1
5. Popoola L.T. et al. Corrosion problems during oil and gas
production and its mitigation International Journal of
Industrial Chemistry (IJIC) 2013 4:35 1-15.
6. Farelas F. et al. Corrosion Behavior of Deep Water Oil
Production Tubing Material under Supercritical CO2. Environment:
Part II. Effect of Crude Oil and Flow Corrosion
2013 NACE International 2013 2381 1-14.
7. Moiseeva L.S. Rashevskaya N.S. Providing Protection
against Carbonic-Acid Corrosion for Equipment in the Oiland-
Gas and Chemical Industries Chemical and Petroleum
Engineering 2001 37 1 54-59.
8. Kvarekval J. Kjeller Localised Corrosion Project (KLOC)
Current Issues in Education 2011 [Online] Available:
corrosion_tech/projects/kloc [Accessed 2012].
9. Sridhar N. et al. Effects of Water and Gas Compositions
on the Internal Corrosion of Gas Pipelines – Modeling
and Experimental Studies Corrosion Science 2001 57 3
10. Recommended Practice for Mitigation of Internal Corrosion
in Sour Gas Pipeline Systems Current Issues in Education
2009 [Online] Available: http://www.capp.ca/getdoc.
aspx?DocId=155644&DT=PDF [Accessed Dec 2013].
11. Cathodic Corrosion Protection of earthburried Pipelines
Current Issues in V&C Kathodischer Korrosionsschutz
Ges.m.b.H [Online] Available: http://www.vc-austria.com
pipeline_protection.pdf [Accessed Oct 2013].
12. Repčík R. Microbiologically induced corrosion on buried
steel structures Slovgas 2010 5 28-31.
13. Antony P.J. et al. Corrosion of 2205 duplex stainless steel
in chloride medium containing sulfate-reducing bacteria
Electrochimica Acta 2007 52 3985–3994.
14. Cetin D. Aksu M.L. Corrosion behavior of low – alloy
steel in the presence of Desulfotomaculum sp. Corrosion
Science 2009 51 1584- 1588.
15. Beavers J.A Neil G. T. External Corrosion of Oil and Natural
Gas pipelines Current Issues in Education 2006 13C
[Online] Available: www.asminternational.org [Accessed
16. Ferreira C.A.M. et al. Vaitsman D.S. Pérez D.V. Evaluation
of the Corrosivity of the Soil Through Its Chemical
Composition Science of the Total Environment 2007
17. Liu T.M. et al. Effect of Soil Compositions on the
Electrochemical Corrosion Behavior of Carbon Steel in
Simulated Soil Solution Materials Science and Engineering
Technology 2010 41 4 228–233.
18. Cole I. S. Marney D. The science of pipe corrosion:
A review of the literature on the corrosion of ferrous metals
in soils Corrosion Science 2012 56 0 5-16.
19. Kleiner Y. et al. Impact of soil properties on pipe corrosion:
Re-examination of traditional conventions. WDSA proceedings
of the 12th Annual International Conference on Water
Distribution Systems Analysis: Tucson AZ 2010 968.
20. Ahmed A. Review: Electrical study of pipe - soil - earth
system Life Sciences Journal 2011 8 2 695-723.
21. Shreir L.L. et al. Metal environment reactions. Jarman
R.A. Burstein G.T Publishers 2000 Oxford.
22. Bertolini L. et al. Corrosion behaviour of steel in concrete
in the presence of stray current Corrosion Science 2007
23. Beavers J. Harle B. Mechanisms of high-pH and nearneutral-
pH SCC of underground pipelines Journal of
Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering Transactions
of the ASME 2001 123 3 147-151.
24. Baker M. Pipeline Corrosion 2008. [E-book] Available:
25. Ossai Ch.I. Advances in Asset Management Techniques:
An Overview of Corrosion Mechanisms and Mitigation
Strategies for Oil and Gas Pipelines International Scholarly
Research Network ISRN Corrosion 2012 2012 1-10.
26. Graeme W. Corrosion protection of metals in marine environment.
J. Metal Corrosion Protection Chemistry 2010
27. Hany M.A. Adb El-Lateef. Corrosion Properties of Steel
Pipelines against CO2 Corrosion Chemistry Journal 2012
28. Westood J. Macro factors driving the global oil and gas
industry and the subsea pipelines sector 2011 Toronto.
29. Jaš F. Zinganization – renovation and depositing of new
zinc coatings to steel products Transfer inovácií 2013 27
47-50 (in Slovak).
31. BBA – Technical Approvals for construction. Corrosion
protective coating for steel. Agrément Certifi cate 03/4047.
32. Liptáková T. et al. The granularity effect of the carbon
packs on behavior of cathodic protection Corrosion of
underground structures 2011: proceedings of the 17th
international conference: Košice Slovakia 2011 65-71.
33. Guyer J.P. et al. An introduction to cathodic protection
Current Issues in Education 2009 [Online] Available:
34. Lazzari L. Pedeferri P. Cathodic protection McGraw Hill
Publishers 2006 New York.
35. Ashworth V. Principles of Cathodic Protection Elsevier
B.V. 2010 2 2747–2754.
36. Choi J.B. et al. Development of Limit Load Solutions for
Corroded Gas Pipelines International Journal