Introduction:Mycoplasma bovis is a well-known cause of various disorders in cattle, such as pneumonia, arthritis, mastitis kerato-conjunctivitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis, otitis media, meningitis, and reproductive disorders. There are no commercial vaccines against M. bovis in Europe, therefore, experimental ones are still under investigation. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of experimental M. bovis vaccine, containing the Polish field M. bovis strain as well as saponin and lysozyme dimer adjuvants, on the T- and B-cell response in calves.
Material and Methods: The study was carried out on 12 calves divided into two equal groups: experimental and control. The experimental group was subcutaneously injected with the vaccine composed of the field M. bovis strain as well as saponin and lysozyme dimer as adjuvants, whereas the control one received phosphate buffered saline (PBS). The blood samples were collected prior to the study (day 0), then in 24 h intervals up to day 7 and then each 7 days until day 84 post immunisation. The T- and B-cell response as CD2+ (T-cells), CD4+ (T-helper cells), CD8+ (T-cytotoxic cells), and WC4+ (B-cells) markers was analysed using flow cytometry.
Results: In response to the immunisation, the general stimulation of T-cell was observed, the most seen in an increase in CD8+ subpopulation. Similarly, a visible rise in the percentage of WC4+ cells was registered in the vaccinated calves when compared to the control animals.
Conclusion: This study demonstrated that the novel experimental M. bovis vaccine containing saponin and lysozyme dimer effectively stimulated the cell-mediated immunity in the calves.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alberti A. Addis M.F Chessa B. Cubeddu T. Profiti M. Rosati S. Ruiu A. Pittau M.: Molecular and antigenic characterization of a Mycoplasma bovis strain causing an outbreak of infectious keratoconjunctivitis. J Vet Diagn Invest 2006 18 41–51.
2. Ayling R.D. Baker S.E. Peek M.L. Simon A.J. Nicholas R.A.: Comparison of in vitro activity of danofloxacin florfenicol oxytetracycline spectinomycin and tilmicosin against recent field isolates of Mycoplasma bovis. Vet Rec 2000 146 745–747.
3. Ayling R.D. Rosales R.S. Barden G. Gosney F.L.: Changes in antimicrobial susceptibility of Mycoplasma bovis isolates from Great Britain. Vet Rec 2014 175 486.
4. Barret D.C.: Cost-effective antimicrobial drug selection for the management and control of respiratory disease in European cattle. Vet Rec 2000 146 545–550.
5. Bednarek D. Ayling R.D. Nicholas R.A.J. Dudek K. Szymańska-Czerwińska M.: A serological survey to determine the occurrence of respiratory Mycoplasma infections in the Polish cattle population. Vet Rec 2012 171 45.
6. Dudek K. Bednarek D. Ayling R.D. Kycko A. Szacawa E. Karpińska T.A.: An experimental vaccine composed of two adjuvants gives protection against Mycoplasma bovis in calves. Vaccine 2016 34 3051–3058.
7. Dudek K. Bednarek D. Szacawa E. Rosales R.S. Ayling R.D.: Flow cytometry follow-up analysis of peripheral blood leukocyte subpopulations in calves experimentally infected with field isolated of Mycoplasma bovis. Acta Vet Hung 2015 63 167–178.
8. Dudek K. Bednarek D.: Humoral immunity in the calves experimentally vaccinated against Mycoplasma bovis infections. Med Weter 2017 73 425–428.
9. Houlihan M.G. Veenstra B. Christian M.K. Nicholas R. Ayling R.: Mastitis and arthritis in two dairy herds caused by Mycoplasma bovis. Vet Rec 2007 160 126–127.
10. Machado M. Monteiro M.M. Atalaia V.: Infection by Mycoplasma bovis in calves. Its isolation from a case of meningitis. Reposit Trab Lab Nac Invest Vet 1987 19 67–74.
11. Maeda T. Shibahara T. Kimura K. Wada Y. Sato K. Imada Y. Ishikawa Y. Kadota K.: Mycoplasma bovis-associated suppurative otitis media and pneumonia in bull calves. J Comp Pathol 2003 129 100–110.
12. Malinowski E. Smulski S. Markiewicz H. Kaczmarowski M.: The effect of some drugs injection to pregnant heifers on blood antioxidant status. Pol J Vet Sci 2004 7 91–95.
13. Maunsell F.P. Donovan G.A. Risco C. Brown M.B.: Field evaluation of a Mycoplasma bovis bacterin in young dairy calves. Vaccine 2009 27 2781–2788.
14. Mulongo M. Prysliak T. Perez-Casal J.: Vaccination of feedlot cattle with extracts and membrane fractions from two Mycoplasma bovis isolates results in strong humoral immune responses but does not protect against an experimental challenge. Vaccine 2013 31 1406–1412.
15. Nicholas R.A.J. Ayling R.D. Stipkovits L.P.: An experimental vaccine for calf pneumonia caused by Mycoplasma bovis: clinical cultural serological and pathological findings. Vaccine 2002 20 3569–3575.
16. Nicholas R.A.J. Rosales R.S. Loria G.R.: Mycoplasmology: the big issues. Anim Husb Dairy Vet Sci 2017 1 1–4.
17. Prysliak T. van der Merwe J. Perez-Casal J.: Vaccination with recombinant Mycoplasma bovis GAPDH results in a strong humoral immune response but does not protect feedlot cattle from an experimental challenge with M. bovis. Microb Pathog 2013 55 1–8.
18. Soehnlen M.K. Aydin A. Lengerich E.J. Houser B.A. Fenton G.D. Lysczek H.R. Burns C.M. Byler L.I. Hattel A.L. Wolfgang D.R. Jayarao B.M.: Blinded controlled field trial of two commercially available Mycoplasma bovis bacterin vaccines in veal calves. Vaccine 2011 29 5347–5354.
19. Stipkovits L. Jaka J. Huszenyica G.: Field studies on M. bovis infection of adult cattle. Proceedings of the 1st workshop of COST Action 826 Mycoplasmas of Ruminants: Pathogenicity Diagnostics Epidemiology and Molecular Genetics 1996 pp. 115–118.
20. Stipkovits L. Rády M. Glávits R.: Mycoplasmal arthritis and meningitis in calves. Acta Vet Hung 1993 41 73–88.
21. Strugnell B.W. Glover M. Wessels M. Ayling R.D.: Ear droop and stertor in dairy calves associated with Mycoplasma bovis. Vet Rec 2013 173 299–300.
22. Sulyok K.M. Kreizinger Z. Fekete L. Hrivnák V. Magyar T. Jánosi S. Schweitzer N. Turcsányi I. Makrai L. Erdélyi K. Gyuranecz M.: Antibiotic susceptibility profiles of Mycoplasma bovis strains isolated from cattle in Hungary Central Europe. BMC Vet Res 2014 10 256.
23. van der Merwe J. Prysliak T. Perez-Casal J.: Invasion of bovine peripheral blood mononuclear cells and erythrocytes by Mycoplasma bovis. Infect Immun 2010 78 4570–4578.
24. Vanden Bush T.J. Rosenbusch R.F.: Characterization of the immune response to Mycoplasma bovis lung infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 2003 94 23–33.