Introduction: Aujeszky’s disease (AD), most often related to infection of domestic and feral swine, may also concern other mammals, including dogs. The disease in carnivores, related to consumption of raw meat or offal contaminated with AD virus, is manifested by severe neurological disorders and inevitably leads to animal’s death.
Material and Methods: Karelian bear dog was euthanised due to nervous symptoms that started two days after participation in wild boar hunting. After exclusion of rabies the dog’s carcass was subjected to standard necropsy. Tissue samples were collected for histological examination. Samples of the brain were tested for ADV by real-time PCR and virus isolation. Samples of the liver were collected for toxicological examination.
Results: The presence of ADV was confirmed by real-time PCR and virus isolation. Toxicological examination revealed anticoagulant poisoning. This is the first case of Aujeszky’s disease (AD) in a hunting dog in Poland after exposure to ADV from offal of wild boar.
Conclusion: This infection should be taken into consideration in differential diagnosis of syndromes of neurological disorders in dogs. Since AD is found in both domestic pigs and wild boar in Poland, special care must be taken to prevent spread of infection to other species.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Aujeszky’s disease. OIE Terrestrial Manual 2012 pp. 1–15 http://www.oie.int/international-standard-setting/terrestrial-manual/access-online/.
2. Bartosz B.: Aujeszky’s disease in the region of Dobiegniew in the years 1958–1960. Med Weter 1962 18 393–396.
3. Caloni F. Cortinovis C. Rivolta C. Davanzo F.: Suspected poisoning of domestic animals by pesticides. Sci Total Environ 2016 539 331–336.
4. Caruso C. Dondo A. Cerutti F. Masoero L. Rosamilia A. Zoppi S. D’Errico V. Grattarola P.L. Peletto S.: Aujeszky’s disease in red fox (Vulpes vulpes): phylogenetic analysis unravels an unexpected epidemiological link. J Wildl Dis 2014 50 707–710.
5. Cay A.B. Letellier C.: Isolation of Aujeszky’s disease virus from two hunting dogs in Belgium after hunting wild boars. Vlaams Diergeneeskundig Tijdschrift 2009 78 194–195.
6. Commission Decision 2008/185/EC of 21 February on additional guarantees in intra-Community trade of pigs relating to Aujeszky’s disease and criteria to provide information on this disease. OJ L 59 4.3.2008 19.
7. Cramer S.D. Campbell G.A. Njaa B.L. Morgan S.E. Smith II S.K. McLin IV W.R. Brodersen B.W. Wise A.G. Scherba G.S. Langhorn I.M. Maes R.K.: Pseudorabies virus infection in Oklahoma hunting dogs. J Vet Diagn Invest 2011 23 915–923.
8. Furie B. Bouchard B.A. Furie B.C.: Vitamin K-dependent biosynthesis of gamma-carboxyglutamin acid. Blood 1999 93 1798–1808.
10. Kasza L. Shadduck J.A. Christofinis G.J.: Establishment viral susceptibility and biological characteristics of a swine kidney cell line SK-6. Res Vet Sci 1972 13 46–51.
11. Lipowski A. Pejsak Z.: Antibody prevalence of pseudorabies virus in feral pigs in Poland. Proc. 17th International Pig Veterinary Society Congress Ames 2002 223.
12. Lipowski A. Pejsak Z.: Occurrence of Aujeszky’s disease virus single–reactor pigs in Poland. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2015 59 185–190.
13. Lipowski A. Pejsak Z.: Seroprevalence of Aujeszky's disease in pigs in Poland in the years 2001–2004. Med Weter 2006 62 285–288.
14. Lipowski A. Związek J. Pejsak Z: Seroprevalence of Aujeszky’s disease in pigs in Poland in the years 2005–2007. Med Weter 2009 65 771–774.
15. Lipowski A.: European wild boar (Sus scrofa L.) as a reservoir of infectious diseases for domestic pigs. Med Weter 2003 59 861–863.
16. Mettenleiter T. Ehlers B. Müller T. Yoon K.J. Teifke J.P.: Herpesviruses. In: Diseases of Swine edited by Wiley-Blackwell Ames 2012 pp. 421–446.
17. Monroe W.E.: Clinical signs associated with pseudorabies in dogs. J Am Vet Med Assoc 1989 195 599–602.
18. Moreno A. Sozzi E. Grilli G. Gibelli L.R. Gelmetti D. Lelli D. Chiari M. Prati P. Alborali G.L. Boniotti M.B. Lavazza A. Cordioli P.: Detection and molecular analysis of pseudorabies virus strains isolated from dogs and wild boar in Italy. Vet Microbiol 2015 177 359–365.
19. Murphy M.J.: Rodenticides. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract 2002 32 469–484.
20. Pomeranz L. Reynolds A.E. Hengartner C.J.: Molecular biology of pseudorabies virus: impact on neurovirology and veterinary medicine. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2005 69 462–500.
21. Przymus J. Kozioł T.: A case of Aujeszky's disease in a dog. Med Weter 1989 45 41.
22. Pušić I. Prodanov-Radulović J. Došen R. Stojanov I. Stojanović D. Petrović T.: Epizootical characteristics of Aujeszky’s disease in Vojvodina region and biosecurity concerns. Biotechnol Anim Husb 2011 27 875–882.
23. Regulation of Ministry Council of 19 March 2008 concerning introducing Aujeszky’s disease eradication programme. Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 2008 No. 64 item 397.
24. Regulation of Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development of 27 January 2015 concerning introducing Aujeszky’s disease eradication and monitoring programme. Journal of Laws of the Republic of Poland 2015 No. 189.
25. Salwa A.: Evaluation of the epidemiological situation of Aujeszkýs disease in the Gdańsk coast area in 1987–2006. Med Weter 2008 64 1118–1121.
26. Schang L.M. Osorio F.A.: A quantitative technique for the study of the latency of Aujeszky virus. Rev Sci Tech Off Int Epiz 1993 12 505–521.
27. Schöniger S. Klose K. Werner W. Schwarz B.-A. Müller T. Schoon H.-A.: Nonsuppurative encephalitis in dogs. Vet Pathol 2012 49 731–734.
28. Steinrigl A. Revilla-Fernández S. Kolodziejek J. Wodak E. Bagó Z. Nowotny N. Schmoll F. Köfer J.: Detection and molecular characterization of Suid herpesvirus type 1 in Austrian wild boar and hunting dogs. Vet Microbiol 2012 157 276–284.
29. Szweda W. Lipowski A. Ciecierski H. Zalewski K. Pirus T.: European wild boar (Sus scrofa L.) as a reservoir of Herpesvirus suis 1. Med Weter 1998 54 541–544.
30. Verpoest S. Cay A.B. Bertrand O. Saulmont M. de Regge N.: Isolation and characterization of pseudorabies virus from a wolf (Canis lupus) from Belgium. Eur J Wildl Res 2014 60 149–153.
31. Wadell L.S. Poppenga R.H. Drobatz K.J.: Anticoagulant rodenticide screening in dogs: 123 cases (1996–2003). J Am Vet Med Assoc 2013 252 516–521.
32. Zanin E. Capua I. Casaccia C. Zuin A. Moresco A.: Isolation and characterization of Aujeszky’s disease virus in captive brown bears from Italy. J Wildl Dis 1997 33 632–634.
33. Zhang L. Zhong C. Wang J. Lu Z. Liu L. Yang W. Lyu Y.: Pathogenesis of natural and experimental Pseudorabies virus infections in dogs. Virol J 2015 12:44 doi: 10.1186/s12985-015-0274-8.