Introduction: The differentially expressed proteins between healthy cows and those with footrot were identified to explore changes in protein profiles associated with the disease. Material and Methods: Out of 36 cows selected for the experiment, 18 footrot-affected cows were included in the treatment group (group T) and 18 unaffected cows were included in the control group (group C). Plasma samples from groups T and C were subjected to two-dimensional electrophoresis analysis and differentially expressed proteins were identified by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionisation tandem time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Bioinformatics, including gene ontology analysis and pathway analysis, was used for analysing all proteins. Results: Out of 63 spots identified by 2DE, 33 were selected for mass spectrum analysis, which identified 11 differentially expressed proteins in 26 spots. Footrot led to changes in profiles in plasma proteins that were classified to the pathway of inflammatory response, complement, and blood coagulation, among others. Conclusion: This study provides evidence of the defence mechanisms of cows with footrot to explore strategies for treatment.
1. Baumann H., Held W.A., Berger F.G.: The acute phase response of mouse liver, genetic analysis of the major acute phase reactants. J Biol Chem 1984, 259, 566-573.
2. Bradford M.M.: A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976, 72, 248-254
3. Chen H.H., Lin J.H., Fung H.P., Ho L.L., Yang P.C., Lee W.C., Lee Y.P., Chu R.M.: Serum acute phase proteins and swine health status. Can J Vet Res 2003, 67, 283-290.
4. Dong S.W., Zhang S.D., Wang D.S., Wang H., Shang X.F., Yan P., Yan Z.T., Yang Z.Q.: Comparative proteomics analysis provide novel insight into laminitis in Chinese Holstein cows. BMC Vet Res 2015, 11, 161.
5. Eckersall P.D.: Recent advances and future prospects for the use of acute phase protein as markers of disease in animals. Rev Med Vet Toulouse 2000, 151, 577-584.
6. Guo D.H., Sun D.B., Wu R., Yang H.M., Zheng J.S., Fan C.L., Sun B., Wang J.F.: An indirect ELISA for serodiagnosis of cattle footrot caused by Fusobacterium necrophorum. Anaerobe 2010, 16, 317-320.
7. Hernandez J., Shearer J.K., Webb D.W.: Effect of lameness on the calving-to-conception interval in dairy cows. J Am Vet Med Assoc 2001, 218: 1611-1614.
8. Ingegnoli F., Fantini F., Favalli E.G., Soldi A., Griffini S., Galbiati V., Meroni P.L., Cugno M.: Inflammatory and prothrombotic biomarkers in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: effects of tumor necrosis factor-alpha blockade. J Autoimmun 2008, 31, 175-179.
9. Jin T., Bokarewa M., Amu S., Tarkowski A.: Impact of shortterm therapies with biologics on prothrombotic biomarkers in rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2009, 27, 491-494.
10. Johnson G.L., Lapadat R.: Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways mediated by ERK, JNK, and p38 protein kinases. Science 2002, 298, 1911-1912.
11. Langlois M.R., Delanghe J.R.: Biological and clinical significance of haptoglobin polymorphism in humans. Clin Chem 1996, 42, 1589-1600.
12. Magdeldin S., Enany S., Yoshida Y., Xu B., Zhang Y., Zureena Z., Lokamani I., Yaoita E., Yamamoto T.: Basics and recent advances of two dimensional - polyacrylamide gel electrophoresis. Clin Proteomics 2014, 4, 3665-3685.
13. Ono K., Han J.: The p38 signal transduction pathway: activation and function. Cell Signal 2000, 12, 1-13.
14. Parra M.D., Fuentes P., Tecles F., Martínez-Subiela S., Martínez J.S., Muñoz A., Cerón J.J.: Porcine acute phase protein concentrations in different diseases in field condition. J Vet Med 2006, 53, 488-493.
15. Robinson M.J., Cobb M.H.: Mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways. Curr Opin Cell Biol 1997, 9, 180-186.
16. Shevchenko A., Wilm M., Vorm O., Jensen O.N., Podtelejnikov A.V., Neubauer G., Shevchenko A., Mortensen P., Mann M.: A strategy for identifying gel-separated proteins in sequenxe databases by MS alone. Biochem Soc Trans 1996, 24, 893-896.
17. Sun D., Wu R., Li G., Zheng J., Liu X., Lin Y., Guo D.: Identification of three immunodominant regions on leukotoxin protein of Fusobacterium necrophorum. Vet Res Commun 2009, 33, 749-755.
18. Sun D., Zhang H., Guo D., Sun A., Wang H.: Shotgun proteomic analysis of plasma from dairy cattle suffering from footrot: characterization of potential disease-associated factors. Plos One 2013, 8, 55973.
19. Tølbøll T.H., Danscher A.M., Andersen P.H., Codrea M.C., Bendixen E.: Proteomics: a new tool in bovine claw disease research. Vet J 2012, 193, 694-700.
20. Warnick L.D., Janssen D., Guard C.L., Gröhn Y.T.: The effect of lameness on milk production in dairy cows. J Dairy Sci 2001, 84, 1988-1997.
21. Weisel J.W., Stauffacher C.V., Bullitt E., Cohen C.: A model for fibrinogen: domains and sequence. Science 1985, 230, 1388-1391.
22. Yang F., Friedrichs W.E., Navarijo-Ashbaugh A.L., deGraffenried L.A., Bowman B.H., Coalson J.J.: Cell typespecific and inflammatory-induced expression of haptoglobin gene in lung. Lab Invest 1995, 73, 433-440.
23. Zhou H., Bennett G., Hickford J.G.: Variation in Fusobacterium necrophorum strains present on the hooves of footrot infected sheep, goats and cattle. Vet Microbiol 2009, 135, 363-367.