The imaging obtained by endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) has improved our understanding of many disease states of the digestive tract. It was mostly utilized by gastroenterologists and surgeons. In this article, we highlight some of the indications and applications that may be noticed by other specialists such as non-small cell lung cancer (by a special EUS technique, i.e., endobronchial ultrasound), pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors, kidney and adrenal masses, rectosigmoid endometriosis, celiac plexus neurolysis and pseudocyst drainage.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Vilmann P Jacobsen GK Henriksen FW Hancke S. Endoscopic ultrasonography with guided fine needle aspiration biopsy in pancreatic disease. Gastrointest Endosc 1992;38:172-3.
2. Costache MI Iordache S Karstensen JG Săftoiu A Vilmann P. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration: From the Past to the Future. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:77-85.
3. Maluf-Filho F Dotti CM Halwan B Queiros AF Kupski C Chaves DM et al. An evidence-based consensus statement on the role and application of endosonography in clinical practice. Endoscopy 2009;41:979-87.
4. Drigo JM Castillo C Wever W Obaldía JR Fillipi S Ribeiro MC et al. Endoscopic Ultrasound Practice Survey in Latin America. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:208-18.
5. Fusaroli P Ceroni L Caletti G. Forward-view Endoscopic Ultrasound: A Systematic Review of Diagnostic and Therapeutic Applications. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:64-70.
6. Okasha HH Naga MI Esmat S Naguib M Hassanein M Hassany M et al. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration versus Percutaneous Ultrasound-Guided Fine Needle Aspiration in Diagnosis of Focal Pancreatic Masses. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:190-3.
7. Herth FJ. Endobronchial Ultrasound: First Choice for the Mediastinum. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:179-80.
8. Schuhmann M Eberhardt R Herth FJ. Endobronchial Ultrasound for Peripheral Lesions: A review. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:3-6.
9. Khashab MA Yong E Lennon AM Shin EJ Amateau S Hruban RH et al. EUS is still superior to multidetector computerized tomography for detection of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. Gastrointest Endosc 2011;73:691-6.
10. Figueiredo FA Giovannini M Monges G CharfiS Bories E Pesenti C et al. Pancreatic endocrine tumors: A large single-center experience. Pancreas 2009;38:936-40.
11. Pais SA Al-Haddad M Mohamadnejad M Leblanc JK Sherman S McHenry L et al. EUS for pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: A singlecenter 11-year experience. Gastrointest Endosc 2010;71:1185-93.
12. Figueiredo FA Giovannini M Monges G Bories E Pesenti C Caillol F et al. EUS-FNA predicts 5-year survival in pancreatic endocrine tumors. Gastrointest Endosc 2009;70:907-14.
13. Fasanella KE McGrath KM Sanders M Brody D Domsic R Khalid A. Pancreatic endocrine tumor EUS-guided FNA DNA microsatellite loss and mortality. Gastrointest Endosc 2009;69:1074-80.
14. DeWittJ Gress FG Levy MJ Hernandez LV Eloubeidi MA Mishra G et al. EUS-guided FNA aspiration of kidney masses: A multicenter U.S. experience. Gastrointest Endosc 2009;70:573-8.
15. Bodtger U Vilmann P Clementsen P Galvis E Bach K Skov BG. Clinical impact of endoscopic ultrasound-fine needle aspiration of left adrenal masses in established or suspected lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2009;4:1485-9.
16. Uemura S Yasuda I Kato T Doi S Kawaguchi J Yamauchi T et al. Preoperative routine evaluation of bilateral adrenal glands by endoscopic ultrasound and fine-needle aspiration in patients with potentially resectable lung cancer. Endoscopy 2013;45:195-201.
17. Pishvaian AC Ahlawat SK Garvin D Haddad NG. Role of EUS and EUS-guided FNA in the diagnosis of symptomatic rectosigmoid endometriosis. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;63:331-5.
18. Chapron C Vieira M Chopin N Balleyguier C Barakat H Dumontier I et al. Accuracy of rectal endoscopic ultrasonography and magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of rectal involvement for patients presenting with deeply infiltrating endometriosis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004;24:175-9.
19. Bazot M Thomassin I Hourani R Cortez A Darai E. Diagnostic accuracy of transvaginal sonography for deep pelvic endometriosis. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2004;24:180-5.
20. Ng PY Rasmussen DN Vilmann P Hassan H Gheorman V Burtea D et al. Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Drainage of Pancreatic Pseudocysts: Medium-Term Assessment of Outcomes and Complications. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:199-203.
21. Paik WH Seo DW. Is Endoscopic Ultrasound-Guided Celiac Ganglia Neurolysis Superior to Celiac Plexus Neurolysis? Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:123-4.
22. Téllez-Ávila FI Romano-Munive AF Herrera-Esquivel JJ Ramírez- Luna MA. Central is as Eff ective as Bilateral Endoscopic Ultrasound- Guided Celiac Plexus Neurolysis in Patients with Unresectable Pancreatic Cancer. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:153-6.
23. Guo XZ Cui Z Hu Z. Role of Endoscopic Ultrasound in Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer. Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:181-9.
24. Sun S. Endoscopic ultrasound’s vision: Probing our way to NOTES. Endosc Ultrasound 2014;3:141-2.
25. Chu Y Qiao X Gao X Wang X Liu W Jia H et al. Combined EUS and CT for evaluating gastrointestinal submucosal tumors before endoscopic resection. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2014;26:933-6.
26. Ge N Sun S Wang S Liu X Wang G Guo J. Endoscopic ultrasoundassisted tunnel-type endoscopic submucosal dissection for the treatment of esophageal tumors arising in the muscularis propria (with video). Endosc Ultrasound 2013;2:11-5.
27. Moon JH Choi HJ Kim DC Lee YN Kim HK Jeong SA et al. A newly designed fully covered metal stent for lumen apposition in EUS-guided drainage and access: A feasibility study (with videos). Gastrointest Endosc 2014;79:990-5.
28. Saftoiu A Vilmann P Bhutani MS. Feasibility Study of EUS-NOTES as a Novel Approach for Peroral Cholecysto-Gastrostomy. Chirurgia (Bucur) 2013;108:62-9.