Objectives: This retrospective study analyzed long-term survivor patients with advanced nonsmall cell lung cancer (NSCLC) stage IIIB and IV with the aim to find the common characteristics of this group of patients. Materials and Methods: Clinical records of 76 long-term survivor patients with advanced NSCLC who took over three series of chemotherapy and had Erlotinib in one therapeutic lines. The main criterion for selection for this study was survival over 2 years. We sought to establish some features of long-term survivors, survival according to the number of lines of chemotherapy, survival by administration of Erlotinib. The Student t-test was used for calculation of P value when the data allowed this calculation and Kaplan Mayer curve was used for survival calculation. Discussions and conclusions: Relatively small number of patients cannot afford to obtain results with a high confidence interval and very heterogeneous patient characteristics were not in the favor of the creation a prototype of long-term survivors. We have found that the trend of longer survival of our patients with advanced NSCLC may be due to using multiple lines of chemotherapy and Erlotinib in the treatment strategy for these patients. Some of our conclusions are similar to other retrospective study.
1. Dujon C, Azarian R, Petitpretz P. Long-term survivors of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: Characterisation and prognostic factors in a retrospective study. Rev Mal Respir 2009;26:952-60.
2. Van Damme V, Govaerts E, Nackaerts K, Dooms C, Wauters I, Vansteenkiste J. Clinical factors predictive of long-term survival in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2013;79:73-6.
3. Plumridge NM, Millward MJ, Rischin D, MacManus MP, Wirth A, Michael M, et al. Long-term survival following chemoradiation for inoperable non-small cell lung cancer. Med J Aust 2008;189:557-9.
4. Hespanhol V, Queiroga H, Magalhães A, Santos AR, Coelho M, Marques A. Survival predictors in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 1995;13:253-67.
5. Kaira K, Takahashi T, Murakami H, Tsuya A, Nakamura Y, Naito T, et al. Long-term survivors of more than 5 years in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2010;67:120-3.
6. Wu W, Tang J, Wu Y, Zhu Y, Xu L, Shi H, et al. Long-term survival of a patient with advanced non-small cell lung cancer on bevacizumab therapy: Case report and review of the literature. Zhongguo Fei Ai Za Zhi 2013;16:325-9.
7. Ahbeddou N, Fetohi M, Boutayeb S, Errihani H. Which non-smallcell lung cancer patients achieve long-term survival?. Indian J Cancer 2011;48:514-5.
8. Sarna L, Padilla G, Holmes C, Tashkin D, Brecht ML, Evangelista L. Quality of life of long-term survivors of non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2002;20:2920-9.
9. Julien S, Jacoulet P, Dubiez A, Westeel V, Depierre A. Non-small cell lung cancer: A study of long-term survival after vinorelbine monotherapy. Oncologist April 2000;5:115-9.
10. Quoix E, Kleisbauer JP, Moro D, et al. Fichier national des longues survies dans les cancers bronchiques non à petites cellules (CBNPC) non réséqués. Communications libres. Congrès de Pneumologie de Langue Française. 8-10 june 1995. Marseille, France.
11. Satoh H, Ishikawa H, Ohara G, Kagohashi K, Kurishima K, Ohtsuka M, Hizawa N, et al. Long-term Survivors after Chemotherapy in Advanced Non-small Cell Lung Cancer, Anticancer Research 2007;27:4457-60.
12. Rodriguez CP. Treatment implications of the new lung cancer staging system. Clevel Clin J Med 2012;79 Electronic Suppl 1:e-S7-10.
13. Niemieca M, Głogowskib M, Tyc-Szczepaniaka D, Wierzchowskia M, Kepkaa L. Characteristics of long-term survivors of brain metastases from lung cancer. Rep Pract Oncol Radiother 2011;16:49-53.
14. Arrieta O, Villarreal-Garza C, Zamora J, Blake-Cerda M, de la Mata MD, Zavala GD, et al. Long-term survival in patients with non-small cell lung cancer and synchronous brain metastasis treated with whole-brain radiotherapy and thoracic chemoradiation. Radiat Oncol 2011;6:166.
15. Wang T, Nelson RA, Bogardus A, Grannis FW Jr. Five-year lung cancer survival: Which advanced stage nonsmall cell lung cancer patients attain long-term survival?. Cancer 2010;116:1518-25.
16. Yang P, Sun Z, Jatoi A, Clark MM, Garces YI, Wampfler JA, et al. Characteristics of long-term lung cancer survivors, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, [Fifth AACR International Conference on Frontiers in Cancer Prevention Research, Nov 12-15, 2006 Abstract PR-17].
17. Giroux Leprieur E, Lavole A, Ruppert AM, Gounant V, Wislez M, Cadranel J, et al. Factors associated with long-term survival of patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Respirology 2012;17:134-42.