Corticosteroids play an important role in clinical oncology, and they may be used alone or in combination with other treatments in the therapy of cancer patients. Commonly they may be used to decrease inflammations. In this overview, by discussions on the applications of corticosteroids that are mainly used in oncology, we suggest that careful use of Corticosteroids is required and the balance between risks and benefits should always be considered in clinical oncology.
1. Eichenauer DA, Engert A, Dreyling M, ESMO Guidelines Working Group. Hodgkin’s lymphoma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2011;22 Suppl 6:vi55-8.
2. Ghielmini M, Vitolo U, Kimby E, Montoto S, Walewski J, Pfreundschuh M, et al. ESMO Guidelines consensus conference on malignant lymphoma 2011 part 1: Diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL), follicular lymphoma (FL) and chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Ann Oncol 2013;24:561-76.
3. Dreyling M, Thieblemont C, Gallamini A, Arcaini L, Campo E, Hermine O, et al. ESMO Consensus conferences: Guidelines on malignant lymphoma. part 2: Marginal zone lymphoma, mantle cell lymphoma, peripheral T-cell lymphoma. Ann Oncol 2013;24:857-77.
4. Moreau P, San Miguel J, Ludwig H, Schouten H, Mohty M, Dimopoulos M, et al. Multiple myeloma: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol 2013;24 Suppl 6:vi133-7.
5. Fayers PM, Palumbo A, Hulin C, Waage A, Wijermans P, Beksaç M, et al. Thalidomide for previously untreated elderly patients with multiple myeloma: Meta-analysis of 1685 individual patient data from 6 randomized clinical trials. Blood 2011;118:1239-47.
6. San Miguel JF, Schlag R, Khuageva NK, Dimopoulos MA, Shpilberg O, Kropff M, et al. Bortezomib plus melphalan and prednisone for initial treatment of multiple myeloma. N Engl J Med 2008;359:906-17.
7. Wu W, Chaudhuri S, Brickley DR, Pang D, Karrison T, Conzen SD. Microarray analysis reveals glucocorticoid-regulated survival genes that are associated with inhibition of apoptosis in breast epithelial cells. Cancer Res 2004;64:1757-64.
8. Huang Y, Johnson KR, Norris JS, Fan W. Nuclear factor-kappaB/ IkappaB signaling pathway may contribute to the mediation of paclitaxel-induced apoptosis in solid tumor cells. Cancer Res 2000;60:4426-32.
9. Herr I, Pfitzenmaier J. Glucocorticoid use in prostate cancer and other solid tumours: Implications for effectiveness of cytotoxic treatment and metastases. Lancet Oncol 2006;7:425-30.
10. Millar BM, Bezjak A, Tsao M, Sturdza A, Laperriere N. Defining the impact and contribution of steroids in patients receiving whole-brain irradiation for cerebral metastases. Clin Oncol (R Coll Radiol) 2004;16:339-44.
11. Edwards MS, Prados M. Current management of brain stem gliomas. Pediatr Neurosci 1987;13:309-15.
12. Hempen C, Weiss E, Hess CF. Dexamethasone treatment in patients with brain metastases and primary brain tumors: Do the benefits outweigh the side-effects? Support Care Cancer 2002;10:322-8.
13. Weissman DE. Glucocorticoid treatment for brain metastases and epidural spinal cord compression: A review. J Clin Oncol 1988;6:543-51.
14. Sørensen S, Helweg-Larsen S, Mouridsen H, Hansen HH. Effect of high-dose dexamethasone in carcinomatous metastatic spinal cord compression treated with radiotherapy: A randomised trial. Eur J Cancer 1994;30A:22-7.
15. Vecht CJ, Hovestadt A, Verbiest HB, van Vliet JJ, van Putten WL. Doseeffect relationship of dexamethasone on Karnofsky performance in metastatic brain tumors: A randomized study of doses of 4, 8, and 16 mg per day. Neurology 1994;44:675-80.
16. Spain RC. The case for mitomycin in non-small cell lung cancer. Oncology 1993;50 Suppl 1:35-50.
17. Kemp C. Metastatic spread and common symptoms. Part One: Introduction, bladder cancer, and brain cancer. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 1998;15:355-60.
18. Kemp C. Breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and esophageal cancer. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 1999;16:403-11.
19. Kemp C. Kidney cancer, leukemia, and liver cancer. Part 3. Am J Hosp Palliat Care 1999;16:479-86.
20. Walsh TD, West TS. Controlling symptoms in advanced cancer. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed). 1988 13;296:477-81.
21. Aapro MS. Corticosteroids as antiemetics. Recent Results Cancer Res 1988;108:102-11.
22. Sorbe B, Högberg T, Himmelmann A, Schmidt M, Räisänen I, Stockmeyer M, et al. Efficacy and tolerability of tropisetron in comparison with a combination of tropisetron and dexamethasone in the control of nausea and vomiting induced by cisplatin-containing chemotherapy. Eur J Cancer 1994;30A:629-34.
23. Lai YL, Fang FM, Yeh CY. Management of anorexic patients in radiotherapy: A prospective randomized comparison of megestrol and prednisolone. J Pain Symptom Manage 1994;9:265-8.
24. Attie MF. Treatment of hypercalcemia. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 1989;18:807-28.
25. Truhan AP, Ahmed AR. Corticosteroids: A review with emphasis on complications of prolonged systemic therapy. Ann Allergy 1989;62:375-91.
26. Mandel S. Steroid myopathy. Insidious cause of muscle weakness. Postgrad Med 1982;72:207-10, 213.
27. Patschan D, Loddenkemper K, Buttgereit F. Molecular mechanisms of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Bone 2001;29:498-505.
28. Parrillo JE, Fauci AS. Mechanisms of glucocorticoid action on immune processes. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol 1979;19:179-201.
29. Lupien SJ, Nair NP, Brière S, Maheu F, Tu MT, Lemay M, et al. Increased cortisol levels and impaired cognition in human aging: Implication for depression and dementia in later life. Rev Neurosci 1999;10:117-39.