The role of corticosteroids in critically ill patients has always been discussed by researchers and clinicians dedicated in the related field. Despite several decades of clinical studies exploring their role in both sepsis and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), their use remains controversial. This short review highlights current knowledge and opinions.
4. Marik PE Pastores SM Annane D Meduri GU Sprung CL Arlt W et al. Recommendations for the diagnosis and management of corticosteroid insufficiency in critically ill adult patients: Consensus statements from an international task force by the American College of Critical Care Medicine. Crit Care Med 2008;36:1937-49.
5. Effect of high-dose glucocorticoid therapy on mortality in patients with clinical signs of systemic sepsis. The Veterans Administration Systemic Sepsis Cooperative Study Group. N Engl J Med 1987;317:659-65.
6. Annane D Sébille V Charpentier C Bollaert PE François B Korach JM et al. Effect of treatment with low doses of hydrocortisone and fludrocortisone on mortality in patients with septic shock. JAMA 2002;288:862-71.
7. Sprung CL Annane D Keh D Moreno R Singer M Freivogel K et al. Hydrocortisone therapy for patients with septic shock. N Engl J Med 2008;358:111-24.
8. Annane D Bellissant E Bollaert PE Briegel J Confalonieri M De Gaudio R et al. Corticosteroids in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock in adults: A systematic review. JAMA 2009;301:2362-75.
9. Minneci PC Deans KJ Eichacker PQ Natanson C. The effects of steroids during sepsis depend on dose and severity of illness: An updated meta-analysis. Clin Microbiol Infect 2009;15:308-18.
10. Sligl WI Milner DA Jr Sundar S Mphatswe W Majumdar SR. Safety and efficacy of corticosteroids for the treatment of septic shock: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2009;49:93-101.
11. Casserly B Gerlach H Phillips GS Lemeshow S Marshall JC Osborn TM et al. Low-dose steroids in adult septic shock: Results of the Surviving Sepsis Campaign. Intensive Care Med 2012;38:1946-54.
12. Dellinger RP Levy MM Rhodes A Annane D Gerlach H Opal SM et al. Surviving sepsis campaign: International guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock 2012. Intensive Care Med 2013;39:165-228.
13. Sprung CL Caralis PV Marcial EH Pierce M Gelbard MA Long WM et al. The effects of high-dose corticosteroids in patients with septic shock. A prospective controlled study. N Engl J Med 1984;311:1137-43.
14. Bernard GR Luce JM Sprung CL Rinaldo JE Tate RM Sibbald WJ et al. High-dose corticosteroids in patients with the adult respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med 1987;317:1565-70.
15. Meduri GU Headley AS Golden E Carson SJ Umberger RA Kelso T et al. Effect of prolonged methylprednisolone therapy in unresolving acute respiratory distress syndrome: A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 1998;280:159-65.
16. Meduri GU Golden E Freire AX Taylor E Zaman M Carson SJ et al. Methylprednisolone infusion in early severe ARDS results of a randomized controlled trial 2007. Chest 2009;136:e30.
17. Steinberg KP Hudson LD Goodman RB Hough CL Lanken PN Hyzy R et al. Efficacy and safety of corticosteroids for persistent acute respiratory distress syndrome. N Engl J Med 2006;354:1671-84.
18. Agarwal R Nath A Aggarwal AN Gupta D. Do glucocorticoids decrease mortality in acute respiratory distress syndrome? A meta-analysis. Respirology 2007;12:585-90.
19. Peter JV John P Graham PL Moran JL George IA Bersten A. Corticosteroids in the prevention and treatment of acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in adults: Meta-analysis. BMJ 2008;336:1006-9.
20. Meduri GU Marik PE Chrousos GP Pastores SM Arlt W Beishuizen A et al. Steroid treatment in ARDS: A critical appraisal of the ARDS network trial and the recent literature. Intensive Care Med 2008;34:61-9.
21. Slutsky AS Ranieri VM. Ventilator-induced lung injury. N Engl J Med 2013;369:2126-36.