Background: Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), the hepatic manifestation of insulin resistance, is the most common cause of chronic liver. The present study aimed to investigate the roles of vaspin and omentin-1 in the NAFLD-related pathology including IR, inflammation and elevated blood pressure.
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted among 83 NAFLD patients in Jahrom, Iran. Plasma levels of omentin-1, vaspin, hs-CRP and IL-6 were measured. Anthropometric indices, lipid profiles, liver enzymes as well as abdominal ultrasonography were assessed.
Results: Partial correlations controlling for age and sex showed significant positive correlation between vaspin and fasting blood sugar (FBS), insulin, HOMA-IR, and hs-CRP. It has been observed that omentin negatively correlated with glucose levels. Moreover, a marginally significant association has been found between omentin levels and systolic blood pressure (SBP).
Conclusions: This study shows that vaspin and omentin-1 are associated with inflammation, insulin resistance and serum glucose levels in patients with NAFLD.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bekaert M Verhelst X Geerts A Lapauw B Calders P. Association of recently described adipokines with liver histology in biopsy proven non alcoholic fatty liver disease: a systematic review. Obesity Reviews 2016; 17(1): 68–80.
2. Abenavoli L Milic N Di Renzo L Preveden T Medi-Stojanoska M De Lorenzo A. Metabolic aspects of adult patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2016; 22(31): 7006.
3. Panel NCEPNE. Third report of the National Cholesterol Education Program (NCEP) expert panel on detection evaluation and treatment of high blood cholesterol in adults (Adult Treatment Panel III) final report. Circulation 2002; 106(25): 3143.
4. Masarone M Federico A Abenavoli L Loguercio C Persico M. Non alcoholic fatty liver: epidemiology and natural history. Reviews on recent clinical trials 2014; 9(3): 126–33.
5. Sung K-C Wild SH Byrne CD. Development of new fatty liver or resolution of existing fatty liver over five years of follow-up and risk of incident hypertension. Journal of Hepatology 2014; 60(5): 1040–5.
6. Yki-Järvinen H. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease as a cause and a consequence of metabolic syndrome. The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology 2014; 2(11): 901–10.
7. Tilg H Diehl AM. Cytokines in alcoholic and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis. The New England Journal of Medicine 2000; 343: 1467–76.
8. Abiru S Migita K Maeda Y Daikoku M Ito M Ohata K et al. Serum cytokine and soluble cytokine receptor levels in patients with non alcoholic steatohepatitis. Liver International 2006; 26(1): 39–45.
9. Haukeland JW Damås JK Konopski Z Løberg EM Haaland T Goverud I et al. Systemic inflammation in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is characterized by elevated levels of CCL2. Journal of Hepatology 2006; 44(6): 1167–74.
10. Yang R-Z Lee M-J Hu H Pray J Wu H-B Hansen BC et al. Identification of omentin as a novel depot-specific adipokine in human adipose tissue: possible role in modulating insulin action. American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology and Metabolism 2006; 290(6): E1253–E61.
11. Heiker JT. Vaspin (serpinA12) in obesity insulin resistance and inflammation. Journal of Peptide Science 2014; 20(5): 299–306.
12. Aktas B Yilmaz Y Eren F Yonal O Kurt R Alahdab YO et al. Serum levels of vaspin obestatin and apelin-36 in patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Metabolism 2011; 60(4): 544–9.
13. Matthews D Hosker J Rudenski A Naylor B Treacher D Turner R. Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and β-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man. Diabetologia 1985; 28(7): 412–9.
14. Geloneze B Vasques ACJ Stabe CFC Pareja JC Rosado LEFPd Queiroz ECd et al. HOMA1-IR and HOMA2-IR indexes in identifying insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome: Brazilian Metabolic Syndrome Study (BRAMS). Arquivos Brasileiros de Endocrinologia & Metabologia 2009; 53(2): 281–7.
15. Dietrich P Hellerbrand C. Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease obesity and the metabolic syndrome. Best Practice & Research Clinical Gastroenterology 2014; 28(4): 637–53.
16. Asrih M Jornayvaz FR. Metabolic syndrome and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: Is insulin resistance the link? Molecular and cellular endocrinology 2015; 418: 55–65.
17. Asrih M Jornayvaz FR. Inflammation as a potential link between nonalcoholic fatty liver disease and insulin resistance. Journal of Endocrinology 2013; 218(3): R25–R36.
18. Al Rifai M Silverman MG Nasir K Budoff MJ Blankstein R Szklo M et al. The association of nonalcoholic fatty liver disease obesity and metabolic syndrome with systemic inflammation and subclinical atherosclerosis: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA). Atherosclerosis 2015; 239(2): 629–33.
19. Ramadan RA. Serum vaspin and insulin resistance: predictors of steatosis and fibrosis in Egyptian patients with genotype 4 chronic hepatitis C. Advance Laboratory Medicine International 2013; 3(3): 48–64.
20. Collinson P. Laboratory medicine is faced with the evolution of medical practice. J Med Biochem 2017; 36: 211–15.
21. Zhou J-Y Chan L Zhou S-W. Omentin: linking metabolic syndrome and cardiovascular disease. Current Vascular Pharmacology 2014; 12(1): 136–43.
22. Coimbra S Catarino C Santos Silva A. The triad psoriasis–obesity–adipokine profile. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology 2016; 30(11): 1876–85.
23. Esteghamati A Noshad S Mousavizadeh M Zandieh A Nakhjavani M. Association of vaspin with metabolic syndrome: the pivotal role of insulin resistance. Diabetes & Metabolism Journal 2014; 38(2): 143–9.
24. Alkady MM Abdel-Messeih PL Nosseir NM. Assessment of serum levels of the adipocytokine chemerin in colorectal cancer patients. J Med Biochem 2018; 37: 313–9.
25. Kukla M Zwirska Korczala K Gabriel A Waluga M Warakomska I Szczygiel B et al. Chemerin vaspin and insulin resistance in chronic hepatitis C. Journal of Viral Hepatitis 2010; 17(9): 661–7.
26. Senolt L Polanska M Filkova M Cerezo LA Pavelka K Gay S et al. Vaspin and omentin: new adipokines differentially regulated at the site of inflammation in rheumatoid arthritis. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2010; 69: 1410–11.
27. Schäffler A Neumeier M Herfarth H Fürst A Schölmerich J Büchler C. Genomic structure of human omentin a new adipocytokine expressed in omental adipose tissue. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Gene Structure and Expression 2005; 1732(1): 96–102.
28. Engin-Ustun Y Tonguç E Var T Deveer R Yilmaz N Danisman N et al. Vaspin and C-reactive protein levels in hyperemesis gravidarum. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci 2013; 17(1): 138–40.
29. Napitupulu RE Meiliana A Wijaya A. Correlation of Progranulin Granulin Adiponectin and Vaspin with Meta-flammation (hs-CRP) in Indonesian Obese Men. The Indonesian Biomedical Journal 2013; 5(2): 107–14.
30. Auguet T Quintero Y Riesco D Morancho B Terra X Crescenti A et al. New adipokines vaspin and omentin. Circulating levels and gene expression in adipose tissue from morbidly obese women. BMC Medical Genetics 2011; 12(1): 60.
31. Hong H-R Ha C-D Jin Y-Y Kang H-S. The effect of physical activity on serum IL-6 and vaspin levels in late elementary school children. Journal of Exercise Nutrition Biochemistry 2015; 19(2): 99.
32. Wang H Wang Q. Low vaspin levels are related to endothelial dysfunction in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Brazilian Journal of Medical and Biological Research 2016; 49(7).
33. Esaki E Adachi H Hirai Y Yamagishi S-i Kakuma T Enomoto M et al. Serum vaspin levels are positively associated with carotid atherosclerosis in a general population. Atherosclerosis 2014; 233(1): 248–52.
34. Tan BK Adya R Farhatullah S Lewandowski KC O’Hare P Lehnert H et al. Omentin-1 a novel adipokine is decreased in overweight insulin-resistant women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Diabetes 2008; 57(4): 801–8.
35. Grygiel-Górniak B Grzelak T Czyżewska K Puszczewicz M. Chemerin resistin and adiponectin in patients with connective tissue diseases. J Med Biochem 2018; 37: 148–54.
36. Zhang B Peng W Wang K Li H Xu Y. Vaspin as a Prognostic Marker in Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. Heart Lung and Circulation 2016; 25(3): 257–64.
37. Karbek B Bozkurt N Topaloglu O Aslan M Gungunes A Cakal E et al. Relationship of vaspin and apelin levels with insulin resistance and atherosclerosis in metabolic syndrome. Minerva Endocrinol 2014; 39(2): 99–105.
38. Kameshima S Sakamoto Y Okada M Yamawaki H. Vaspin prevents elevation of blood pressure through inhibition of peripheral vascular remodelling in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Acta Physiologica 2015.
39. Kameshima S Yamada K Morita T Okada M Yamawaki H. Visceral adipose tissue derived serine protease in hibitor augments acetylcholine induced relaxation via the inhibition of acetylcholine esterase activity in rat isolated mesenteric artery. Acta Physiologica 2016; 216(2): 203–10.
40. Tan BK Adya R Randeva HS. Omentin: a novel link between inflammation diabesity and cardiovascular disease. Trends in cardiovascular medicine 2010; 20(5): 143–8.
41. de Souza Batista CM Yang R-Z Lee M-J Glynn NM Yu D-Z Pray J et al. Omentin plasma levels and gene expres sion are decreased in obesity. Diabetes 2007; 56(6): 1655–61.
42. Yilmaz Y Yonal O Kurt R Alahdab YO Eren F Ozdogan O et al. Serum levels of omentin chemerin and adipsin in patients with biopsy-proven nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Scandinavian Journal of Gastroenterology 2011; 46(1): 91–7.