There is a paucity of studies regarding oxidative balance and selenium (Se) status in congenital hypothyroidism. Recently, more attention has been given to the use of Se supplementation as a new treatment for thyroid disorders. Oxidative stress increases in different thyroid disorders and causes many pathological outcomes. The present study aimed to determine the serum prooxidant-anti - oxidant balance (PAB), Se, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) and free thyroxine (FT4) concentration in congenital hypothyroidism (CH) patients and the association of their probable change with hematological indices. Blood samples were collected from 60 healthy and 39 CH subjects. Serum PAB values were measured and Se, TSH, FT4 and hematological indices were determined. Data were analyzed by SPSS version 16 and p value less than 0.05 was considered statistically significant. Serum TSH concentration was significantly higher in CH patients group compared to the controls (p value < 0.05); however, FT4 was in the same concentration in patients and controls. Platelet (Plt) and lymphocytes (Lym) counts markedly decreased in all patients and showed a significant direct correlation with serum TSH levels (rs = 0.307, p value = 0.004 and rs = 0.413, p value < 0.0001). Serum PAB and Se had no significant correlation with he - mato logical indices in the studied subjects. Although there was no correlation between PAB and also Se with hematologic and biochemical markers in CH patients, changes in these two factors might be considered as a potential risk factor due to the other known effects of high PAB values and low Se concentrations.
2. Mirjanic-Azaric B Avram S Stojakovic-Jelisavac T Sto - janovic D Petkovic M Bogavac-Stanojevic N Ignjatovic S Stojanov M. Direct estimation of reference intervals for thyroid parameters in the Republic of Srpska. J Med Biochem 2017; 36: 137-44.
3. Hulur I Hermanns P Nestoris C Heger S Refetoff S Pohlenz J et al. A single copy of the recently identified dual oxidase maturation factor (duoxa) 1 gene produces only mild transient hypothyroidism in a patient with a novel biallelic duoxa2 mutation and monoallelic duoxa1 deletion. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2011; 96: E841-845.
4. Jacob H Peters C. Screening diagnosis and management of congenital hypothyroidism: European society for paediatric endocrinology consensus guideline. Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed 2015; 100: 260-3.
5. Ghasemi M Hashemipour M Hovsepian S Heiydari K Sajadi A Hadian R et al. Prevalence of transient conge - nital hypothyroidism in central part of Iran. J Res Med Sci 2013; 18: 699-703.
6. Cattani D Goulart PB Cavalli VL Winkelmann-Duarte E Dos Santos AQ Pierozan P et al. Congenital hypothyroi - dism alters the oxidative status enzyme activities and morphological parameters in the hippocampus of developing rats. Mol Cell Endocrinol 2013; 375: 14-26.
7. Cacciatore I Baldassarre L Fornasari E Mollica A Pin - nen F. Recent advances in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases based on gsh delivery systems. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2012; 2012: 240146.
8. Bashir H Bhat MH Farooq R Majid S Shoib S Hamid R et al. Comparison of hematological parameters in untreated and treated subclinical hypothyroidism and primary hypothyroidism patients. Med J Islam Repub Iran 2012; 26: 172-8.
9. Dorgalaleh A Mahmoodi M Varmaghani B Kiani Node F Saeeidi Kia O Alizadeh S et al. Effect of thyroid dysfunctions on blood cell count and red blood cell indices. Iran J Ped Hematol Oncol 2013; 3: 73-7.
10. Iddah MA Macharia BN Ng'wena AG Keter A Ofulla AV. Thryroid hormones and hematological indices levels in thyroid disorders patients at Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital Western Kenya. ISRN Endocrinol 2013; 2013: 385940.
11. Heshmati N Shahgheibi S Nikkhoo B Amini S Abdi M. Association of prooxidant-antioxidant balance with clinical and laboratory parameters and its relation to different drug regimens in polycystic ovary syndrome women with normal BMI. Indian J Clin Biochem 2016: 1-8.
12. Tavana S Amini S Hakhamaneshi MS Andalibi P Hajir MS Ardalan A et al. Prooxidant-antioxidant balance in patients with phenylketonuria and its correlation to biochemical and hematological parameters. J Pediatr Endo - crinol Metab 2016; 29: 675-80.
13. Naji P Kumar G Dewani S Diedrich WA Gupta A. Graves’ disease causing pancytopenia and autoimmune hemolytic anemia at different time intervals: A case report and a review of the literature. Case Rep Med 2013; 2013: 194542.
14. Pandrc MS Ristić A Kostovski V Stanković M Antić V Milin-Lazović J ]irić J. The Effect of Early Substitution of Subclinical Hypothyroidism on Biochemical Blood Parameters and the Quality of Life. J Med Biochem 2017; 36: 127-36.
15. Santi A Duarte MM de Menezes CC Loro VL. Association of lipids with oxidative stress biomarkers in subclinical hypothyroidism. Int J Endocrinol 2012; 2012: 856359.
16. Mancini A Di Segni C Raimondo S Olivieri G Silvestrini A Meucci E et al. Thyroid hormones oxidative stress and inflammation. Mediators Inflamm 2016; 2016: 6757154.
17. Barrera G. Oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation products in cancer progression and therapy. ISRN Oncol 2012; 2012: 137289.
18. Parascandolo A Rappa F Cappello F Kim J Cantu DA Chen H et al. Extracellular superoxide dismutase expression in papillary thyroid cancer mesenchymal stem/stromal cells modulates cancer cell growth and migration. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 41416.
19. Ventura M Melo M Carrilho F. Selenium and thyroid disease: From pathophysiology to treatment. Int J Endo - crinol 2017; 2017: 1297658.
20. Reddy VS Gouroju S Suchitra MM Suresh V Sachan A Srinivasa Rao PV et al. Antioxidant defense in overt and subclinical hypothyroidism. Horm Metab Res 2013; 45: 754-8.
21. Saad-Hussein A Hamdy H Aziz HM Mahdy-Abdallah H. Thyroid functions in paints production workers and the mechanism of oxidative-antioxidants status. Toxicol Ind Health 2011; 27: 257-63.
22. Aslan M Cosar N Celik H Aksoy N Dulger AC Begenik H et al. Evaluation of oxidative status in patients with hyperthyroidism. Endocrine 2011; 40: 285-9.
23. Marcocci C Bartalena L. Role of oxidative stress and selenium in Graves’ hyperthyroidism and orbitopathy. J Endocrinol Invest 2013; 36: 15-20.
24. Kaur A Pandey S Kumar S Mehdi AA Mishra A. Oxi - dative stress profile in Graves’ ophthalmopathy in Indian patients. Orbit 2010; 29: 97-101.
25. Sarati LI Toblli JE Martinez CR Uceda A Feldman M Balaszczuk AM et al. Nitric oxide and aqp2 in hypothyroid rats: A link between aging and water homeostasis. Metabolism 2013; 62: 1287-95.
26. Kong L Wei Q Fedail JS Shi F Nagaoka K Watanabe G. Effects of thyroid hormones on the antioxidative status in the uterus of young adult rats. J Reprod Dev 2015; 61: 219-27.
27. Novakovic TR Dolicanin ZC Djordjevic NZ. Oxidative stress biomarkers in amniotic fluid of pregnant women with hypothyroidism. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2017: 1-6.
28. Villanueva I Alva-Sanchez C Pacheco-Rosado J. The role of thyroid hormones as inductors of oxidative stress and neurodegeneration. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2013; 2013: 218145.
29. Baser H Can U Baser S Yerlikaya FH Aslan U Hida - yetoglu BT. Assessment of oxidative status and its association with thyroid autoantibodies in patients with euthyroid autoimmune thyroiditis. Endocrine 2015; 48: 916-23.
30. Nabatchican F Einollahi N Kazemi Khaledi A. Relation - ship between prooxidant-antioxidant balance and severity of coronary artery disease in patients of Imam Khomeini Hospital of Tehran Iran. Acta Med Iran 2014; 52: 116-21.
31. Wang W Xue H Li Y Hou X Fan C Wang H et al. Effects of selenium supplementation on spontaneous autoimmune thyroiditis in nod.H-2h4 mice. Thyroid 2015; 25: 1137-44.
32. Drutel A Archambeaud F Caron P. Selenium and the thyroid gland: More good news for clinicians. Clin Endo - crinol (Oxf) 2013; 78: 155-64.
33. Chanoine JP Neve J Wu S Vanderpas J Bourdoux P. Selenium decreases thyroglobulin concentrations but does not affect the increased thyroxine-to-triiodothyronine ratio in children with congenital hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2001; 86: 1160-3.
34. Chanoine JP. Selenium and thyroid function in infants children and adolescents. Biofactors 2003; 19: 137-3.
35. Franzese A Salerno M Argenziano A Buongiovanni C Limauro R Tenore A. Anemia in infants with congenital hypothyroidism diagnosed by neonatal screening. J Endo crinol Invest 1996; 19: 613-9.
36. Onyiriuka AN Kouyate M Oduwole AO Oyenusi EE Oluwayemi IO Fakaye-Udeogu OB et al. Primary congenital hypothyroidism complicated by persistent severe anaemia in early infancy: A case report with a literature
review. Journal of Endocrinology Metabolism and Diabetes of South Africa 2014; 19: 85-8.