This paper applies a non-parametric method to provide level technical efficiency for 7 Tunisian ports during 18 years (1998-2015). These ports represent different data set. The use of the model of variable returns to scale (VRS) has led to interesting results. The results show that the most ports are characterized by low levels of technical efficiency, with the exception port of Rades. In addition, the result shows the variation of variable returns to scale and constant returns to scale of technical port’s efficiency. Furthermore, we concluded that the panel data improves the efficiency estimates.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Ablanedo-Rosas J.H. and Ruiz-Torres A.J. (2009) Benchmarking of Mexican ports with data envelopment analysis. International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics 1(3): 276-294.
2. Al-Eraqi A. Mustafa A. Khader A. and Barros C. (2008) Efficiency of Middle Eastern and East African seaports: Application of DEA using window analysis. European Journal of Scientific Research 23(4): 597-612.
3. Al-Eraqi A.S. Mustafa A. and Khader A.T. (2010) An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports. Journal of Economic Studies 37(2): 208-218.
4. Almawsheki E. S. Shah M. Z. (2015) Technical Efficiency Analysis of Container Terminals in the Middle Eastern Region The Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics 31(4): 477-486.
5. Banker R.D.Charnes A. and Cooper W.W.(1984) some models for estimating technical and scale inefficiencies in data envelopment analysis. Management Science 30(9):1078-1092.
6. Barros C. P. Felicio J.A. Leite R. (2012) Productivity analysis of Brazilian seaports. Maritime Policy & Management 39(5): 503-523
7. Bichou K. (2012) An empirical study of the impacts of operating and market conditions on container-port efficiency and benchmarking. Research in Transportation Economics 42(1):28-37.
8. César L. N-C and Zamora-Torres A. I. (2014) Economic Efficiency of the International Port System: An Analysis through Data Envelopment International Business Research 7(11):108-116.
9. Charnes A. Cooper W.W. and Rhodes E. (1978) Measuring the efficiency of decision making units. European Journal of Operational Research 2(6): 429–444.
10. Cullinane K. Song D.-W. Ji P. and Wang T.-F. (2004) An application of DEA windows analysis to container port production efficiency. Review of Network Economics 3(2): 7.
11. Cullinane K.P. and Wang T.-F.(2006) The efficiency of European container ports: A cross-sectional data envelopment analysis. International Journal of Logistics Research and Applications 9(1):19-31.
12. Cullinane K. and Wang T.-F. (2010) The efficiency analysis of container port production using DEA panel data approaches. OR Spectrum 32(3): 717–738.
13. Demirel B. Cullinane K. and Haralambides H. (2012) Container terminal efficiency and private sector participation: an application to Turkey and the Eastern Mediterranean. In: The Blackwell Companion to Maritime Economics: 571-598.
14. Ding Z.Y. Jo G.S. Wang Y. and Yeo G.T. (2015) The Relative Efficiency of Container Terminals in Small and Medium-Sized Ports in China The Asian Journal of Shipping and Logistics 31: 231-251.
15. Farrell M.J. (1957) The measurement of efficiency. Journal of the Royal Society A (120): 257-271.
16. Hung S.W. Lu W.M. and Wang T.P. (2010) Benchmarking the operating efficiency of Asia container ports. European Journal of Operational Research 203(3): 706-713.
17. Hyun M. J. Ho P. Sang Y. Kim. (2016) Efficiency Analysis of Major Container Ports in Asia: Using DEA and Shannon’s Entropy International Journal of Supply Chain Management 5 (2):1-6
18. Infante Z. and Gutiérrez A. (2013) Port Efficiency in apec1. México y la Cuenca del Pacífico.
19. Kamble Sachin S. Raoot Arun D. and Khanapuri Vivek B. (2010) Improving port efficiency: a comparative study of selected ports in India International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics 2(4) pp. 444-470.
20. Kaisar E.I. Pathomsiri S. and Haghani A. (2006) Effeciency measurement of US ports using data envelopment analysis. In: National Urban Freight Conference Long Beach CA1–3 February p. 16.
21. Liu B.-L. Liu W.-L. and Cheng C.-P. (2008) the efficiency of container terminals in mainland China: An application of DEA approach. 4th International Conference on Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing Wi COM ’08. 2008 IEEE Xplore digital library: 1-10.
22. Martinez-Budria E. Armas R.D. Ibanez M.N. and Mesa R.(1999) A study of the efficiency of Spanish port authorities using Data Envelopment Analysis. International Journal of Transport Economics 26(2): 237-253.
23. Min H. and Park B.I. (2005) Evaluating the inter-temporal efficiency trends of international container terminals using data envelopment analysis. International Journal of Integrated Supply Management 1(3): 258-277.
24. Munisamy S. and Singh G. (2011) Benchmarking the efficiency of Asian container ports African journal of business management (5): 1397-1407.
25. Munisamy S. and Jun O.(2013) Efficiency of Latin American container seaports using DEA Proceedings of 3rd Asia-Pacific Business Research Conference 25–26 February 2013 Kuala Lumpur Malaysia ISBN: 978-1-922069-19-1.
26. Mokhtar k. and Shah M.Z. (2013) Efficiency of Operations in Container Terminals: A Frontier Method. European Journal of Business and Management 5(2): 91-106.
27. Niavis S. and Tsekeris T. (2012) Ranking and causes of inefficiency of container seaports in South-Eastern Europe European Transport Research Review 4(4): 235-244.
28. Rios L. and Maçada A. (2006) Analysing the relative efficiency of container terminals of Mercosur using DEA. Maritime Economics & Logistics 8(4): 331-346.
29. RollY. and Hayuth Y. (1993) Port performance comparison applying data envelopment analysis (DEA). Maritime Policy & Management 20(2): 153-161.
30. Sanchez R.J. Hoffman J. Micco A. PI Zzolitto G.V. Sgut M. and Wilmsmeier G. (2003) “Port efficiency and international trade: Port efficiency as a determinant of maritime transport costs” Maritime Economics & Logistics Vol.5 pp.199-218.
31. Schøyen H. Odeck J. (2013) The technical efficiency of Norwegian container ports: A comparison to some Nordic and UK container ports using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Maritime Economics & Logistics 15(2):197-221.
32. Tetteh E. A. Yang H. Gomina M. F. (2016) Container Ports Throughput Analysis: A Comparative Evaluation of China and Five West African Countries International Journal of Engineering Research in Africa (22): 162-173.
33. Trujillo L. and Tovar B. (2007) The European port industry: An analysis of its economic efficiency. Maritime Economics & Logistics 9(2): 148-171.
34. Wang T-F. Song D-W. Cullinane K. (2003) Container Port Production Efficiency: A Comparative Study of DEA and FDH Approaches Journal of the Eastern Asia Society for Transportation Studies (5): 698-713.
35. Wu J. and Liang L.(2009) Performances and benchmarks of container ports using data envelopment analysis. International Journal of Shipping and Transport Logistics 1(3): 295-310.
36. Wu Y-C. J. and Goh M. (2010) Container port efficiency in emerging and more advanced markets Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review (46): 1030-1042.