The pharmaceutical industry is one of the most competitive businesses in the world. Supply chain in this industry has been directed towards the production of large batches to avoid lack of supplies, and the achievement of regulatory requirements, at the cost of high level of inventory, higher costs and inventory write-off due to expiration or other reasons. In recent years this industry is facing major changes and challenges such as intense globalization processes, increased competition and innovations in technologies, which has broadened and deepened risks in supply chain.
The paper reports the results of the study of the risk in distribution processes of Slovenian pharmaceutical companies, which was conducted among five companies and aims to draw attention to risks that arise in supply chain, to emphasize the importance of their management and to present a model for an effective assessment of risk in companies, developed at the Faculty of Logistics.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Statista Inc. (2017). Top 10 biotech and Pharmaceutical Companies Worldwide Based on Market Value in 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars). Retrieved March 15 2017 from https://www.statista.com/statistics/272716/global-top-biotech-andpharmaceutical-companies-based-on-market-value/
2. Kesic D. (2011). Pharmaceutical Industry in Strategic Development. International Jounral of Economics and Resarch. 2(6) 29-37.
3. Cubisms. (2012 August). Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Risk Management. Retrieved April 08 2015 from http://www.mypurchasingcenter.com/files/2313/4678/0641/PharmaceuticalSupplyChainRiskManagement.pdf
4. Breen L. (2008). A Preliminary Examination of Risk in the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain (PSC) in the National Health Service (NHS) (UK). Journal of Service Science and Management. 1(2) 193-199.
5. Jaberidoost M. Nikfar S. Abdollahiahiasl A. & Dinarvand R. (2013). Pharmaceutical supply chain risks: a sistematic review. DARU Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 21(69) 1-7. DOI: 10.1186/2008-2231-21-69.
6. Brako S. Asante D. & Akosah N.B. (2016). Investigating the Risks in the Pharmaceutical Supply Chain in Ghana. International Journal of Academic research in Business and Social Sciences. 6(6) 7-21. DOI: 10.6007/IJARBSS/v6-i6/2176.
7. Kamath J.K. Kamath K.K. Azaruddin M. Subrahmanyam E.V.S. & Shabharaya A.R. (2012). Evaluation of Different Types of Risks in Pharmaceutical Supply Chain. American Journal of PharmTech Research. 2(4) 280-287.
8. KPMG International. (2009). Risk Management in the Pharmaceuticals and Life Sciences Industry. Retrieved March 20 2015 from https://www.eiuperspectives.economist.com/sites/default/files/Risk%20management%20in%20the%20pharmaceuticals%20and%20life%20sciences%20industry.pdf
9. Jeberidoost M. Olfat L. Hosseini A. Kabriaeezadeh A. Abdollahi M. Alaeddini M. & Dinarvand R. (2015). Pharmaceutical Supply Chain Risk Assessment in Iran Using Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) and Simple Additive Weighting (SAW) Methods. Journal of Pharmaceutical Policy and Practice. 8(9) 1-10. DOI: 10.1186/s40545-015-0029-3.
10. Enyinda C. Briggs C. & Backhar K. (2009). Managing Risk in Pharmaceutical Global Supply Chain Outsourcing. In ASBBS Annual Conference 19-22 February 2009. Las Vegas Nevada: Proceedings of ASBBS.
11. Logozar K. (2004). Poslovna logistika: Elementi in podsistemi. Ljubljana: GV izobrazevanje.
12. Jereb B. Ivanusa T. & Rosi B. (2013). Systemic Thinking and Requisite Holism in Mastering Logistics Risks: the Model for Identifying Risks in Organisations and Supply Chain. Amfiteatru Economic. 15(33) 56-73.
13. ISO. (2009). ISO 31000:2009 Risk Management - Principles and Guidelines. Retrieved June 08 2015 from https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:31000:ed-1:v1:en
14. Jereb B. (2014). Upravljaje Tveganj. Celje: University in Maribor - Faculty of logistics.
15. Jereb B. & Cvehte T. (2013). Risk Catalog. Retrieved April 04 2015 from http://labinf.fl.uni-mb.si/risk-catalog/
16. ISO. (2009). Risk Management - Risk Assessment Techniques. Retrieved June 10 2015 from https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iec:31010:ed-1:v1:en
17. JAZMP. (2016 October). List of Holders of Licence for Performing the Activity of Wholesaler in Medicinal Products. Retrieved June 30 2015 from https://www.jazmp.si/fileadmin/datoteke/seznami/ImetnikiDovoljenjNaDebeloo.pdf
18. European Medicines Agency. (2012 November). Reflection Paper on Medicinal Product Supply Shortages Caused by Manufacturing / Good Manufacturing Practice Compliance Problems. Retrieved April 09 2015 from http://www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/Other/2012/11/WC500135113.pdf
19. Waters D. (2011). Supply Chain Risk Management. Vulnerability and Resilience in Logistics. London: Kogan Page Limited.