We present a case of “gloves and socks” syndrome associated with Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection in a 6-year-old child hospitalized for febrile syndrome associated with monomorphic purpuric papular eruption localized on the distal part of extremities, in a “gloves and socks” pattern. Clinical diagnosis was confirmed by positivity of specific IgM against Mycoplasma pneumoniae. Favorable outcome was obtained by administration of oral clarithromycin.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Harms M Feldmann R Saurat JH. Papular-purpuric “gloves and socks” syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. 1990;23:850-854.
2. Hsieh MY Huang PH. The juvenile variant of papular-purpuric gloves and socks syndrome and its association with viral infections. Br J Dermatol. 2004;151:201-206.
3. Heckler GT1 Dal Ri NM Almeida Júnior HL. Papular-purpuric gloves and socks syndrome. Case for diagnosis. An Bras Dermatol. 2012;87:793-794.
4. Waites KB Talkington DF. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and its role as a human pathogen. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2004;17:697-728.
5. Narita M. Pathogenesis of extrapulmonary manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection with special reference to pneumonia. J Infect Chemother. 2010;16:162-169.
6. Meyer Sauteur PM Goetschel P Lautenschlager S. Mycoplasma pneumoniae and mucositis-part of the Stevens-Johnson syndrome spectrum. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2012;10:740-746.
7. Schalock PC Dinulos JG. Mycoplasma pneumoniae-induced cutaneous disease. Int J Dermatol. 2009;48:673-680.
8. Spuesens EB Fraaij PL Visser EG et al. Carriage of Mycoplasma pneumoniae in the upper respiratory tract of symptomatic and asymptomatic children: an observational study. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001444.
9. Jain S Williams DJ Arnold SR et al. CDC EPIC Study Team Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization among U.S. children. N Engl J Med. 2015;372:835-845.
10. Pemira SM Tolan RW Jr. Mycoplasma pneumoniae infection presenting as bullous papular purpuric gloves and socks syndrome: novel association and review of the literature. Clin Pediatr (Phila). 2011;50:1140-1143.