Chronic mesenteric artery disease has a much lower incidence than the acute one, but it raises the same problems in terms of patient survival. The long-term outcomes for open surgery are crucial for the right choice of a particular technique. We present the case of a 39-year-old female patient with a history of total nephrectomy, chronic kidney failure, and hypertension, who presented in the Emergency Department with abdominal pain with high intensity, for which she was admitted to the General Surgery Department. Abdominal computed tomography angiography was performed, which indicated the diagnosis of partial upper mesenteric artery stenosis. The patient underwent surgery, during which a retrograde aorto-mesenteric bypass with a Gore-Tex 5 mm diameter prosthesis was performed. In situations where the endovascular approach fails or has no indication (multiple incidence lesions from the origin of the superior mesenteric artery), open surgery is the indication in chronic mesenteric ischemia.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Clair DG Beach JM. Mesenteric ischemia. N Engl J Med. 2016;374:959-968.
2. Oderich GS Gloviczki P Bower TC. Open Surgical Treatment for Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia in the Endovascular Era: When It is Necessary and What it is the Preferred Technique? Semin Vasc Surg. 2010;23:36-46.
3. Oliva IB Davarpanah AH Rybicki FJ et al. ACR appropriateness criteria imaging of mesenteric ischemia. Abdom Imaging. 2013;38:714-719.
4. White CJ. Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia: Diagnosis and Management. Progress in Cardiovascular Diseases. 2011;54:36-40.
5. Hagspiel KD Flors L Hanley M Norton PT. Computed Tomography Angiography and Magnetic Resonance Angiography Imaging of the Mesenteric Vasculature. Tech Vasc Interventional Rad. 2015;18:2-13.
6. Cai W Li X Shu C et al. Comparison of Clinical Outcomes of Endovascular Versus Open Vascularization for Chronic Mesenteric Ischemia: A Meta-analysis. Ann Vasc Surg. 2015;29:934-940.
7. Oderich GS Bower TC Sullivan TM Bjarnason H Cha S Gloviczki P. Open versus endovascular revascularization for chronic mesenteric ischemia: Risk-stratified outcomes. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49:1472-1479.
8. Kruger AJ Walker PJ Foster WJ Jenkins JS Boyne NS Jenkins J. Open surgery for atherosclerotic chronic mesenteric ischemia. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46:941-945.