Stem cells are undifferentiated cells that can divide and become differentiated. Hematopoietic stem cells cannot transform into new stem cells such as cardiomyocytes or new heart valves, but they act through paracrine effects, by secreting cytokines and growth factors that lead to an increase in contractility and overall improved function. In this case report, we present how autologous stem cell transplantation can bring two major benefits: the first refers to hematological malignancy and the second is about the improvement of the heart condition. We present the case of a 60-year-old patient diagnosed with multiple myeloma suffering from a bi-valve severe condition in which autologous stem cell transplantation led to the remission of the patient’s malignant disease and also improved the heart function.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Kyle RA Rajkumar SV. Multiple myeloma. Blood. 2008;111:2962-2972.
2. Becker N. Epidemiology of multiple myeloma. Recent Results Cancer Res. 2011;183:25-35.
3. Rajkumar SV. Multiple Myeloma. Curr Probl Cancer. 2009;33:7-64.
4. Durie BG Salmon SE. A clinical staging system for multiple myeloma. Correlation of measured myeloma cell mass with presenting clinical features response to treatment and survival. Cancer. 1975;36:842-854.
5. Hari PN Zhang M-J Roy V et al. Is the international staging system superior to the Durie Salmon staging system? A comparison in multiple myeloma patients undergoing autologous transplant. Leukemia. 2009;23:1528-1534.
6. Greipp PR San Miguel J Durie BG et al. International staging system for multiple myeloma. J Clin Oncol. 2005;23:3412-3420.
7. San Miguel JF Bladé Creixenti J García-Sanz R. Treatment of multiple myeloma. Haematologica. 1999;84:36-58.
8. Fermand JP Ravaud P Chevret S et al. High-dose therapy and autologous peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma: up-front or rescue treatment? Results of a multicenter sequential randomized clinical trial. Blood. 1998;92:3131-3136.
9. Kyle RA Rajkumar SV. Treatment of Multiple Myeloma: A Comprehensive Review. Clinical lymphoma & myeloma. 2009;9:278-288.
10. Rogers JH Bolling SF. The Tricuspid Valve. Circulation. 2009;119: 2718.
11. Vahanian A Alfieri O Andreotti F et al. Guidelines on the management of valvular heart disease. Eur Heart J. 2012;33:2451-2496.