Digital imprint and computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacture (CAD/CAM) systems offer several benefits compared to traditional techniques. The use of a CAD/CAM system to scan preparations and generate restorations in-office, removes a second appointment for the patient. The existence of precision benefits in using complete systems and chairside scanning systems, has been proven. CAD/CAM restorations have a good longevity and meet the accepted clinical parameters. New digital impression methods are presently accessible, and before long, the long-awaited goal of sparing patients of one the most unpleasant practices in clinical dentistry, acquiring dental impressions, will be exchanged by intraoral digital scanning. CAD/CAM systems existing nowadays, can feed data through accurate digital scans created from plaster models, straight to manufacturing systems that can shape ceramic or resin restorations with no requirement of a physical copy of the prepared, adjacent, and antagonist teeth.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Digital Impressions: Virtually Perfect. Available at: http://www.yourdentistryguide.com/digital-impressions/
2. Bratu D Nussbaum R. Bazele clinice si tehnice ale protezarii fixe. Bucharest: Editura Medicala 2009.
3. Bratu D Rominu M Leretter M Uram-Tuculescu S. Materiale dentare in cabinetul de stomatologie. Bucharest: Editura Helicon 2008.
4. Miyazaki T Hotta Y Kunii J Kuriyama S Tamaki Y. A review of dental CAD/CAM: current status and future perspectives from 20 years of experience. Dent Mater J. 2009;28:44-56.
5. Klim J Corrales E. Innovation in Dentistry: CAD/CAM Restorative Procedures. A Peer-Reviewed Publication. Dent Mater J. 2009;28:44-56.
6. Digital Impression Systems and the Importance of Interoperability. Available at: http://glidewelldental.com/education/inclusive-dental-implant-magazine/volume-5-issue-1/digital-impression-systems-and-the-importance-of-interoperability/
7. Innovation in Dentistry: CAD/CAM Restorative Procedures. Available at: https://www.dentalacademyofce.com/courses/1586/pdf/innovationcad.pdf.