Cardiac magnetic resonance imaging is an evolving imaging method that can be used in cardiovascular pathology evaluation. Technological developments have increased the clinical utility of cardiac magnetic resonance in the exploration of various cardiac abnormalities. The most important imaging techniques and their utility will be presented in this review, together with the advantages and limitations of cardiac magnetic resonance and with a brief presentation of common cardiac disorders that can be assessed by cardiac magnetic resonance including ischemic heart disease, cardiomyopathies and myocarditis.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Sakuma H. Coronary CT versus MR angiography: the role of MR angiography. Radiology. 2011;258:340-349.
2. Watzinger N Maier R Reiter U et al. Clinical applications of cardiovascular magnetic resonance. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11:457-475.
3. Pilz G Heer T Harrer E et al. Clinical applications of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging. Minerva Cardioangiol. 2009;57:299-313.
4. Stokes MB Nerlekar N Moir S et al. The evolving role of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging in the assessment of cardiovascular disease. Aust Fam Physician. 2016;45:761-764.
5. Sakuma H Ichikawa Y Chino S et al. Detection of coronary artery stenosis with whole-heart coronary magnetic resonance angiography. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006;48:1946-1950.
6. Teo KS Crbone A Piantadosi C et al. Cardiac MRI assessment of left and right ventricular parameters in healthy Australian normal volunteers. Heart Lung Circ. 2008;17:313-317.
7. Lam WC Pennell DJ. Imaging of the heart: historical perspective and recent advances. Postgrad Med J. 2016;92:99-104.
8. Van Der Graaf AW Bhagirath P Gotte MJ. MRI and cardiac implantable electronic devices; current status and required safety conditions. Neth Heart J. 2014;22:269-276.
9. Scott Ad Keegan J Firmin DN. Motion in cardiovascular MR imaging. Radiology. 2009;250:331-351.
10. Bitar R Leung G Perng R et al. MR pulse sequences: what every radiologist wants to know but is afraid to ask. Radiographics. 2006;26:513-537.
11. Ginat DT Fong MW Tuttle DJ et al. Cardiac imaging: Part 1 MR pulse sequences imaging planes and basic anatomy. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2011;197:808-815.
12. Eugene CL Steven RK Evan JS et al. Cardiac MRI Technical Aspects Primer. Available from: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/352250-overview
13. Krishnamurthy R Cheong B Muthupillai R. Tools for cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging. Cardiovasc Diagn Ther. 2014;4:104-125.
14. McCarthy RM Shea SM Deshpande VS et al. Coronary MR angiography: true FISP imaging improved by prolonging breath holds with preoxygenation in healthy volunteers. Radiology. 2004;227:283-288.
15. Marcu CB Beek AM van Rossum AC. Clinical applications of cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging. CMAJ. 2006;175:911-917.
16. Friedrich MG Sechtem U Schulz-Menger J. Cardiovascular magnetic resonance in myocarditis: A JACC White Paper. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;53:1475-1487.
17. Friedrich MG Marcotte F. Cardiac magnetic resonance assessment of myocarditis. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2013;4:126-137.
18. Parsai C O’Hanlon R Prasad SK et al. Diagnostic and prognostic value of cardiovascular magnetic resonance in non-ischaemic cardiomyopathies. J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2012;14:54.
19. Moon JC McKenna WJ McCrohon JA et al. Toward clinical risk assessment in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with gadolinium cardiovascular magnetic resonance. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2003;41:1561-1567.
20. van Dockum WG Beek AM ten Cate FJ et al. Early onset and progression of left ventricular remodeling after alcohol septal ablation in hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Circulation. 2005;III:2503-2508.
21. McCrohon JA Moon JC Prasad SK. Differentiation of heart failure related to dilated cardiomyopathy and coronary artery disease using gadolinium-enhanced cardiovascular magnetic resonance. Circulation. 2003;198:54-59.
22. Mahrholdt H Wagner A Judd RM et al. Delayed enhancement cardiovascular magnetic resonance assessment of non-ischemic cardiomyopathies. Eur Heart J. 2005;26:1461-1474.
23. Vignaux O Dhote R Duboc D et al. Clinical significance of myocardial magnetic resonance abnormalities in patients with sarcoidosis treated with prednisone. Am J Cardiol. 2001;122:1895-1901.
24. Corrado D Fontaine G Marcus FI et al. Arrhythmogenic right ventricle dysplasia/cardiomyopathy: need for an international registry. Circulation. 2000;101:E101-E106.
25. Fernandez-Perez GC Aquilar-Arjona Ja de la Fuente Gt et al. Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: Assessment with cardiac MRI. Am J Roentgenol. 2010;195:W139-W145
26. Ishida M Kato S Sakuma H. Cardiac MRI in ischemic heart disease. Circ J. 2009;73:1577-1588.