Improving the outcomes in reconstructive surgery of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) requires a rigorous and permanent assessment of specific parameters. Therefore, we can increase the degree of reproducibility of the procedure and identify particular aspects in order to achieve an adequate and individualized therapeutic approach for each case. In order to accomplish this goal, the use of complex means (scores) of quantifying results is required. That includes objective means of verifying the parameters in knee surgery, and a subjective evaluation of the patient in order to compare the results.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Logerstedt D Grindem H Lynch A et al. Single-legged Hop Tests as Predictors of Self-Reported Knee Function After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: The Delaware-Oslo ACL Cohort Study. Am J Sports Med. 2012;40:2348-2356.
2. Tan SH Lau BP Khin LW et al. The Importance of Patient Sex in the Outcomes of Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstructions: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Am J Sports Med. 2016;44:242-254.
3. Tegner Y Lysholm J. Rating systems in the evaluation of knee ligament injuries. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1985;(198):43-49.
4. Mitsou A Vallianatos P Piskopakis N et al. Anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction by over-the-top repair combined with popliteus tendon plasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1990;72:398-404.
5. Roos EM Roos HP Lohmander LS Ekdahl C Beynnon BD. Knee Injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (KOOS) - development of a selfadministered outcome measure. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;28:88-96.
6. Irrgang JJ Anderson AF Boland AL et al. Development and validation of the International Knee Documentation Committee subjective knee form. Am J Sports Med. 2001;29:600-613.
7. Zaffagnini S Lopomo N Signorelli C et al. Inertial sensors to quantify the pivot shift test in the treatment of anterior cruciate ligament injury. Joints. 2014;2:124-129.
8. Hoshino Y Araujo P Ahldén M et al. Quantitative evaluation of the pivot shift by image analysis using the iPad. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2013;21:975-980.
9. Carneiro M Nakama GY Malheiros Luzo MV. Loss of Extension after Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Treated with Arthroscopic Posteromedial Capsulotomy. Ann Sports Med Res. 2015;2:1013.
10. De Carlo MS Sell KE. The effects of the number and frequency of physical therapy treatments on selected outcomes of treatment in patients with anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1997;26:332-339.
11. Arden CL. Webster KE Taylor NF Feller JA. Return to sport following ACL-R surgery: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the state of play. Br J Sports Med. 2011;45:596-606.
12. Grindem H Logerstedt D Eitzen I et al. Single-legged hop tests as predictors of self-reported knee function in nonoperatively treated individuals with anterior cruciate ligament injury. Am J Sports Med. 2011;39:2347-2354.
13. Engelen-van Melick N Cingel REH Tijssen MPW Nijhuis-van der Sanden MWG. Assessment of functional performance after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a systematic review of measurement procedures. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012;21:869-879.
14. Button K van Deursen R Price P. Measurement of functional recovery in individuals with acute anterior cruciate ligament rupture. Br J Sports Med. 2005;39:866-871.
15. Ardern CL Taylor NF Feller JA et al. Fifty-five Per Cent Return to Competitive Sport Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction Surgery. Br J Sports Med. 2014;48:1543-1552.
16. Wright RW Magnussen RA Dunn WR et al. Ipsilateral graft and contralateral ACL rupture at five years or more following ACL reconstruction: a systematic review. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2011;93:1159-1165.
17. Lynch AD Logerstedt DS Grindem H et al. Consensus criteria for defining ‘successful outcome’ after ACL injury and reconstruction: a Delaware-Oslo ACL cohort investigation. Br J Sports Med. 2015;49:335-342.
18. Øiestad BE Engebretsen L Storheim K et al. Review Knee osteoarthritis after anterior cruciate ligament injury: a systematic review. Am J Sports Med. 2009;37:1434-1443.