If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Buckner T Witkop M Wang M et al. Prevalence description and management of pain in adult people with hemophilia (PWH): initial lessons from the pain functional impairment and quality of life (P-FIQ study). J Thromb Haemost 2015; 13(Suppl. 2):860.
2. Forsyth AL Witkop M Lambing A et al. Associations of quality of life pain and self-reported arthritis with age employment bleed rate and utilization of hemophilia treatment center and health care provider services: results in adults with hemophilia in the HERO study. Patient Prefer Adherence 2015; 9: 1549–60.
3. Humphries TJ Kessler CM. Managing chronic pain in adults with haemophilia: current status and call to action. Haemophilia 2015; 21: 41–51.
4. Witkop M Lambing A Divine G et al. A national study of pain in the bleeding disorders community: a description of haemophilia pain. Haemophilia 2012; 18(3): e115–9.
5. Timmer MA Pisters MF De Kleijn P et al. Differentiating between signs of intra-articular joint bleeding and chronic arthropathy in haemophilia: a narrative review of the literature. Haemophilia 2015; 21: 289–96.
6. McLaughlin JM Witkop ML Lambing A et al. Better adherence to prescribed treatment regimen is related to less chronic pain among adolescents and young adults with moderate or severe haemophilia. Haemophilia 2014; 20: 506–12.
7. American Pain Society. Principles of Analgesic Use 7th edn. 2016. Chicago: American Pain Society.
8. Barnes PM Bloom B. Complementary and alternative medicine use among adults and children: United States 2007. Natl Health Stat Report 2008: 12; 1–23.
9. Snyder M Lindquist R. Issues in complementary therapies: how we got to where we are. Online J Issues Nurs. 2001; 6(2). Available from http://ojin.nursingworld.org/MainMenuCategories/ANAMarketplace/ANAPeriodicals/OJIN/TableofContents/Volume62001/No2May01/ComplementaryTherapiesIssues.aspx (accessed 21 January 2019).
10. Jadhav U Mukherjee K Thakur H. Usage of complementary and alternative medicine among severe hemophilia A patients in India. Journal of Evidence-Based Integrative Medicine. 2013; 18(3): 191–7. doi: 10.1177/2156587213484339.
11. Delgado R York A Lee C et al; Active Self-Care Therapies for Pain (PACT) Working Group. Assessing the quality efficacy and effectiveness of the current evidence base of active self-care complementary and integrative medicine therapies for the management of chronic pain: a rapid evidence assessment of the literature. Pain Med 2014; 15: S9–20.
12. Witkop M Lambing A Fritz R. Pain. In: National Hemophilia Foundation. Nurses’ Guide to Bleeding Disorders. Available from https://www.hemophilia.org/sites/default/files/document/files/Nurses-Guide-Chapter-18-Pain.pdf (accessed 21 January 2019).
13. Canadian Hemophilia Society. Roadmap for managing pain 2nd edn. 2012. Available from https://www.hemophilia.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Roadmap-for-managing-pain.pdf (accessed 21 January 2019).
14. World Federation of Hemophilia. Guidelines for the management of hemophilia 2nd edn. 2012. Blackwell. Available from http://www1.wfh.org/publications/files/pdf-1472.pdf (accessed 21 January 2019).
15. Young G Tachdjian R Baumann K Panopoulos G. Comprehensive management of chronic pain in haemophilia. Haemophilia 2014; 20: e113–20.
16. Riley RR Witkop M Hellman E Akins S. Assessment and management of pain in hemophilia patients. Haemophilia 2011; 17: 839–45.
17. St. Marie B (ed.). Core Curriculum for Pain Management Nursing 2nd edn. 2010. American Society for Pain Management Nursing.
18. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health. Complementary alternative or integrative health: what’s in a name? July 2018. Available from https://nccih.nih.gov/health/integrative-health (accessed 21 January 2018).
19. LaBaw W. Auto-hypnosis in haemophilia. Haematologia (Budap) 1975; 9(1-2): 103–10.
20. Elander J Robinson G Morris J. Randomized trial of a DVD intervention to improve readiness to self-manage joint pain. Pain 2011; 152: 2333–41. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2011.06.026.
21. Dunn A Patterson J Biega C. A feasibility and usability study of a nursing orchestrated customized 3-dimensional virtual reality environment in children with hemophilia undergoing routine intravenous procedures. Blood 2017; 130: 3691.
22. Elander J Robinson G Mitchell K Morris J. An assessment of the relative influence of pain in coping negative thoughts about pain and pain acceptance on health-related quality of life among people with hemophilia. Pain 2009; 145; 169–75. doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2009.06.004.
23. Elander B Morris J Robinson G. Pain coping and acceptance as longitudinal predictors of health-related quality of life among people with haemophilia-related joint pain. Eur J Pain 2013; 17(6): 929–38. doi: 10.1002/j.1532-2149.2012.00258.x.
24. Lichstein KL Eakin TL. Progressive versus self-controlled relaxation to reduce spontaneous bleeding in hemophiliacs. J Behav Med 1975; 8(2): 149–62.
25. Swirsky-Sacchetti T Margolis CG. The effects of a comprehensive self-hypnosis training program on the use of factor VIII in severe hemophilia. Int J Clin Exp Hypn 1986; 34(2): 71–83.
26. Behestipoor N Bagheri S Hashemi F Zare N Karimi M. The effect of yoga on quality of life in the children and adolescents with haemophilia. Int J Community Based Nurs Midwifery 2015; 3(2): 150–55.
27. Lambing A Kohn-Converse B Hanagavadi S Varma V. Use of acupuncture in the management of haemophilia pain. Haemophilia 2006; 12: 500–2.
28. Martini A Schweiger V Giuffrida A et al. Acupuncture and auricular cryotherapy for chronic headache in a patient with type III von Willebrand disease. Acupunct Med 2014; 32(5); 432-4. doi: 10.1136/acupmed-2014-010632
29. Varni JW. Self-regulation techniques in the management of chronic arthritic pain in hemophilia. Behav Ther 1981; 12; 185-94. doi: doi.org/10.1016/S0005-7894(81)80071-8.
30. Varni JW. Behavioral medicine in hemophilia arthritic pain management: two case studies. Arch Phys Med Rehabit 1981; 62(4): 183–7.
31. Newman M. Hypnotic handling of the chronic bleeder in extraction: a case report. Am J Clin Hypn 1971; 14(2) :126–7.
32. LaBaw W. The use of hypnosis with hemophilia. Psychiatr Med 1992; 10(4): 89–98.
33. Koh TC. Acupuncture therapy in hemophilia: a report of 2 cases. Am J Acupunct 1981; 9(3): 269–70.
34. Rosted P Jorgensen V. Acupuncture used in the management of pain due to arthropathy in a patient with haemophilia. Acupunct Med 2002; 20(4): 193–5.
35. Wallny TA Brackmann HH Gunia G et al. Successful pain treatment in arthropathic lower extremities by acupuncture in haemophilia patients. Haemophilia 2006; 12: 500–2.
36. Using Reiki for pain relief and stress management. Blog: Haemophilia of Georgia. 4 June 2012. Available from https://www.hog.org/blog/detail/using-reiki-for-pain-relief-andstress-management (accessed 22 January 2019).
37. Krug P Kramer D Bukatman R Gordon P Mermelstein P. Energy dialogue technique in healing and health: relieving side effects and thyroid dysfunction in a male with haemophilia receiving PEGylated interferon and ribavirin treatment for hepatitis C virus – an anecdotal case study. J Holist Nurs 2013; 31(3): 204–13. doi: 10.1177/0898010113488992.
38. Beyer R Ingerslev J Sørensen B. Muscle bleeds in professional athletes: diagnosis classification treatment and potential impact in patients with haemophilia. Haemophilia 2010; 16: 858–65. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2516.2010.02278.x.
39. Vicol MC. Alternative and traditional healing. In: Loue S (ed.). Mental Health Practitioner’s Guide to HIV/AIDS. New York: Springer; 2013. 91–94.
40. Bradley LA Young LD Anderson KO et al. Psychological approaches to the management of arthritis pain. Soc Sci Med 1984; 19(12); 1353–60.
41. Nikjou R Kazemzadeh R Rostamnegad M et al. The effect of lavender aromatherapy on the pain severity of primary dysmenorrhea: a triple-blind randomized clinical trial. Ann Medicine Health Sci Res 2016; 6(4): 211–15.
42. Marzouk TMF Barakat R Ragab A Badria F Badawy A. Lavender-thymol as a new topical aromatherapy preparation for episiotomy: a randomized clinical trial. J Obstet Gynaecol 2015; 35(5): 472–5. doi: 10.3109/01443615.2014.970522.
43. Marzouk TMF El-Nemer AMR Baraka HN. The effect of aromatherapy abdominal massage on alleviating menstrual pain in nursing students: a prospective randomized crossover study. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2013; 1-2: 742421. doi: 10.1155/2013/742421.
44. Vandervaart S Berger H Tam C et al. The effect of distant reiki on pain in women after elective caesarean section: a double-blinded randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open 2011; 1:e000021. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2010-000021.
45. Midilli TS Esser I. Effects of reiki on post-cesarean delivery pain anxiety and hemodynamic parameters: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Pain Manag Nurs 2015; 16(3): 388–99. doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2014.09.005.
46. Weiland LS Skoetz N Pilkington K et al. Yoga treatment for chronic non-specific low back pain. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2017; 1:CD010671. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD010671.pub2.
47. Morone NE Greco CM Weiner DK. Mindfulness meditation for the treatment of chronic low back pain in older adults: a randomized controlled pilot study. Pain 2008; 134: 310–19.
48. Lauche R Stumpe C Fehr J et al. The effects of Tai Chi and neck exercises in the treatment of chronic nonspecific neck pain: a randomized controlled trial. J Pain 2016; 17(9): 1013–27. doi: 10.1016/j.jpain.2016.06.004.
49. Gerard S Smith BH Simpson JA. A randomized controlled trial of spiritual healing in restricted neck movement. J Altern Complement Med 2004; 9(4): 467–77.
50. Nasiri A Mahmodi M Nobakht Z. Effect of aromatherapy massage with lavender essential oil on pain in patients with osteoarthritis of the knee: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Complement Ther Clin Pract 2016; 25; 75–80. doi: 10.1016/j.ctcp.2016.08.002.
51. Seyyed-Rasooli A Salehi F Mohammadpoorasl A et al. Comparing the effects of aromatherapy massage and inhalation aromatherapy on anxiety and pain in burn patients: a single-blind randomized clinical trial. Burns 2016; 42(8): 1774–80. doi: 10.1016/j.burns.2016.06.014.
52. Bikmoradi A Harorani M Roshanaei G Moradkhani S Falahinia GH. The effect of inhalation aromatherapy with damask rose (Rosa damascena) essence on the pain intensity after dressing in patients with burns: a clinical randomized trial. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res. 2016; 21(3): 247–54. doi: 10.4103/1735-9066.180380.
53. Ho SSM Kwong ANL Wan KWS Ho RML Chow KM. Experiences of aromatherapy massage among adult female cancer patients: a qualitative study. J Clin Nurs 2017; 26: 4519–26. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13784.
54. Metin ZG Ozdemir L. The effects of aromatherapy massage and reflexology on pain and fatigue in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: a randomized controlled trial. Pain Manag Nurs 2016; 17(2): 140–9. doi: 10.1016/j.pmn.2016.01.004.
55. Puretić MB Demarin V. Neuroplasticity mechanisms in the pathophysiology of chronic pain. Acta Clin Croat 2012; 51(3): 425–9.
56. Lee C Crawford C Hickey A. Mind-body therapies for the selfmanagement of chronic pain symptoms. Pain Med 2014; 15 Suppl 1: S21–39. doi: 10.1111/pme.12383.
57. Whitney A. Biofeedback: a way to regain some control over pain. J Fam Pract 2014; 63(6 Suppl): S12–17.
58. Potts DA Davis KF Elci OU Fein JA. A vibrating cold device to reduce pain in the paediatric emergency department: a randomized clinical trial. Pediatr Emerg Care 2017. doi: 10.1097/PEC.0000000000001041. [Epub ahead of print]
59. Moadad N Kozman K Shahine R Ohanian S Badr LK. Distraction using the BUZZY for children during an IV insertion. J Pediatr Nurs 2016; 64-72. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2015.07.010.
60. Kearl YL Yanger S Montero S Morelos-Howard E Claudius I. Does combined use of the J-tip® and Buzzy® device decrease the pain of venipuncture in a pediatric population? J Pediatr Nurs 2015; 30(6): 829–33. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2015.06.007.
61. Canbulat Şahiner N İnal S Sevim Akbay A. The effect of combined stimulation of external cold and vibration during immunization on pain and anxiety levels in children. J Perianesth Nurs 2015; 30(3): 228–35. doi: 10.1016/j. jopan.2014.05.011.
62. Kuttner L. The magic glove: a hypnotic pain management technique. Available from http://pediatric-pain.ca/wpcontent/uploads/2013/04/The_Magic_Glove12.pdf (accessed 22 January 2019).