A person with haemophilia is at risk of intracranial haemorrhage caused by spontaneous or traumatic events, potentially resulting in long-term disability. Early initiation of timely treatment is essential to prevent this. In developing countries, morbidity and mortality is common in intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) cases with haemophilia as a result of patients and family members having inadequate knowledge, lack of awareness regarding referral, lack of availability of treatment products, and delays in the treatment decision. These barriers can potentially be managed by the haemophilia nurse taking responsibility for the coordination of care. This case report addresses the nurse-coordinated care of a haemophilic patient with ICH in a developing country, and may provide insight into the benefits of a haemophilia nurse undertaking a coordinating role.
1. Antunes SV, Vicari P, Cavalheiro S, Bordin JO. Intracranial haemorrhage among a population of haemophilic patients in Brazil. Haemophilia 2003; 9(5): 573-7. Available from: http://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2516.2003.00789.x (accessed 7 November 2017).
2. Witmer C. M., Raffini, L. J., & Manno, C. S. (2007). Utility of computed tomography of the head following head trauma in boys with haemophilia. Haemophilia, 13(5), 560-566. http://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2516.2007.01546.x (accessed 7 November 2017).
3. Khair K, Chaplin S. What is a nurse-led service? A discussion paper. Journal of Haemophilia Practice 2017;4(1): 1-10. Available from: http://doi.org/10.17225/jhp00100 (accessed 7 November 2017).
4. Riley L, Womack M, Zappa S. Chapter 8: Emergency room care. In: Nurses’ Guide to Bleeding Disorders. National Hemophilia Foundation, 1995. Available from: https://www.hemophilia.org/sites/default/files/document/files/Nurses-Guide-Chapter-8-Emergency-Room-Care.pdf (accessed 7 November 2017).
5. Sahni R, Jesse, W. Management of intracerebral hemorrhage. Vascular Health and Risk Management 2007; 3(5): 701-9.
6. Haddad S, Arabi Y. Critical care management of severe traumatic brain injury in adults. Scandinavian Journal of Trauma, Resuscitation and Emergency Medicine 2012; 20(1): 12. Available from: http://doi.org/10.1186/1757-7241-20-12 (accessed 7 November 2017).
7. Chandy M. Treatment Options in the Management of Hemophilia in Developing Countries. Treatment of Hemophilia, 37. World Federation of Hemophilia, 2005. Available from: http://www.hemophiliabangalore.org/PdfFile(H)/Treatment_Options_Dev_Countries.pdf (accessed 7 November 2017).