The terms ‘nurse-led service’ and ‘nurse-led care’ are often used, but are frequently not well defined. As health care delivery evolves across the world and struggles to cope with changes in medical care and with the rising number of people living longer with long term conditions, it is frequently suggested that more care should be delivered and coordinated by nurses who have the most day-to-day contact with affected individuals and their families. This paper addresses the notion of modern ‘nurse-led’ care in the 21st century, with a focus on haemophilia. Haemophilia is one specialty in which totally nurse-led and delivered care could become a reality, there is already evidence from both developing and developed countries of nurses providing excellent and innovative haemophilia care.
1. Berntorp E, Hart D, Mancuso ME, d'Oiron R, Perry D, O'Mahony B, Kaczmarek R, Crato M, Pasi J, Miners A, Carlsson KS, Kitchen S, Boehlen F, Giangrande P, Cebura E, Uitslager N, Osooli M, Janeckova D, Haldon R, Rivolta GF. The first Team Haemophilia Education meeting, 2015, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Eur J Haematol 2016;97 Suppl 83:3-18. doi: 10.1111/ejh.12760
2. Bradway C, Trotta R, Bixby MB et al. A qualitative analysis of an advanced practice nurse-directed transitional care model intervention. Gerontologist 2012;52:394-407.
3. Kidd L, Lawrence M, Booth J et al. Development and evaluation of a nurse-led, tailored stroke self-management intervention. BMC Health Serv Res 2015;15:359.
4. Center for Health Market Innovations. Clinical Mentorship of Nurse Initiated Antiretroviral Therapy (NIMART), South Africa. (http://healthmarketinnovations.org/program/clinicalmentorship- nurse-initiated-antiretroviral-therapy-nimart)
5. McFarlane K, Dixon L, Wakeman CJ et al. The process and outcomes of a nurse-led colorectal cancer follow-up clinic. Colorectal Dis 2012;14:e245-9.
6. Richardson A, Cunliffe L. New horizons: the motives, diversity and future of ‘nurse led’ care. J Nurs Management 2003;11:80-84.
7. Hutchison C. Overview of nurse-led clinics and their scope of practice. Cancer Nursing Practice 2011;10:29-35.
8. Schrivers L, Bedford M, Elfvinge P et al. The role of the European haemophilia nurse. J Haemophilia Pract 2014;1:24-7.
9. Metzelthin SF, Daniëls R, van Rossum E et al. A nurse-led interdisciplinary primary care approach to prevent disability among community-dwelling frail older people: a large-scale process evaluation. Int J Nurs Stud 2013;50:1184-96.
10. O’Shea E, Coughlan M, Corrigan H, McKee G Evaluation of a nurse -led haemophilia counselling service. Br J Nurse 2012 8;21 (14) 868-70.
11. Caird J, Rees R, Kavanagh J et al. The socioeconomic value of nursing and midwifery: a rapid systematic review of reviews. London: EPPI Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London. 2010.
12. Pittman P, Salmon ME. Advancing nursing enterprises: A crosscountry comparison. Nurs Outlook 2016;64:24-32.
13. Panek-Hudson Y, Ritchie D. The rise and rise of advanced practice nursing. Intern Med J 2015;45:691-3.
14. Hakanson C, Douglas C, Robertson J et al. Evaluation of a rural nurse-led clinic for female sexual dysfunction. Austr J Rural Health 2014;22:33-9.
15. NHS Highland. Argyll & Bute Welcomes New Service for People Affected by Multiple Sclerosis and Parkinson's Disease. May 2014. (www.nhshighland.scot.nhs.uk/News/Pages/ArgyllButeWelcomes.aspx)
16. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Assessing chronic disease management in European health systems. Concepts and approaches. Observatory Study Series 37. Nolte E, Knai C, Saltmand RB, eds. 2014. (www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/270729/Assessingchronic-disease-management-in-European-health-systems.pdf?ua=1)
17. (European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Assessing chronic disease management in European health systems: country reports. Observatory Study Series 39. Nolte E, Knai C eds. 2014. (www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/277939/Assessing-chronic-disease-management.pdf?ua=1)
18. Schadewaldt V, McInnes E, Hiller JE et al. Views and experiences of nurse practitioners and medical practitioners with collaborative practice in primary health care - an integrative review. BMC Fam Pract 2013;14:132. doi:10.1186/1471-2296-14-132.
19. European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies. Building primary care in a changing Europe. Case studies. Observatory Study Series 40. Kringos DS, Boerma WG, Hutchinson A et al, eds. 2015.) (www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/277940/Building-primary-carechanging-Europe-case-studies.pdf?ua=1).
20. Hoare KJ, Mills J, Francis K. The role of Government policy in supporting nurse-led care in general practice in the United Kingdom, New Zealand and Australia: an adapted realist review. J Adv Nurs 2012;68:963-80.
21. Sibbald B. Should primary care be nurse led? Yes. BMJ 2008;337:a1157.
22. Front Line Care: the future of nursing and midwifery in England. Report of the Prime Minister’s Commission on the Future of Nursing and Midwifery in England 2010.
23. An evaluation of the extent and nature of nurse-led/midwifeled services in Ireland. National Council for the Professional Development of Nursing and Midwifery. (http://hdl.handle.net/10147/44772)
24. Department of Health. Strategic Framework for Role Expansion of Nurses and Midwives: Promoting Quality Patient Care. May 2011. (http://health.gov.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/role_expansion_nurses_midwives.pdf)
25. Royal College of Nursing response to the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Global Health’s consultation on the future development of nursing globally. Royal College of Nursing. 2016 (www.rcn.org.uk/about-us/policy-briefings/conr-2216)
26. Maier CB. The role of governance in implementing taskshifting from physicians to nurses in advanced roles in Europe, U.S., Canada, New Zealand and Australia. Health Policy 2015;119:1627-35.
27. The NHS Plan, Developing key roles for nurses and midwives; a guide for managers www.nationalarchives.gov.uk last accessed 21 December 2016.
28. RCN Competences. Advanced Nurse Practitioners. Royal College of Nursing. 2012. (www.rcn.org.uk/-/media/royalcollege-of-nursing/documents/publications/2012/may/pub-003207.pdf)
29. Department of Health. Advanced Practitioner Nursing. A Position Statement. 2010. (www.gov.uk/government/publications/advanced-level-nursing-a-position-statement)
30. National Leadership and Innovation Agency. Framework for Advanced Nursing, Midwifery and Allied Health Professional Practice in Wales. 2010. (www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/documents/829/NLIAH%20Advanced%20Practice%20Framework.pdf)
31. Advanced Nursing Practice Roles Guidance for NHS Boards. Scottish Government. 2010. (www.advancedpractice.scot.nhs.uk/media/614/sg-advanced-practice-guidance-mar10.pdf)
32. Howard J, Barnes K. Addressing workforce capacity and safety issues for new nurse-led services through competency modelling. Clinical Governance: An International Journal 2012;17:317-31.
33. Scope of practice for nurse practitioners. American Association of Nurse Practitioners. 1993 (last revised 2015). (www.aanp.org/images/documents/publications/scopeofpractice.pdf)
34. Dutch Professional Nurse Practitioner Organisation. The Nurse Practitioner in the Netherlands. (http://venvnvs.nl/wpcontent/uploads/sites/164/2015/08/2015-10-30-Factsheet-Nurse-Practitioner-Netherlands-2015.pdf)
35. Nurse practitioner standards for practice - Effective from 1 January 2014. Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia. 2013 (www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/documents/default.aspx?record=WD15%2f17299&dbid=AP&chksum=nIAcbT9WBTW8qNOGpK25iw%3d%3d)
36. Kruth T. Advanced practice nursing in Sweden. International Advanced Practice Nursing. 2013. (https://internationalapn.org/2013/09/08/sweden)
37. Lindblad E, Hallman EB, Gillsjö C et al. Experiences of the new role of advanced practice nurses in Swedish primary health care-a qualitative study. Int J Nurs Pract 2010;16:69-74.
38. Khair K, Barker C, Bedford M, Elliott D, Harrington C, Lawrence K. A core competency framework for haemophilia nurses in the UK. J Haemophilia Pract 2014; 1(1): 32-36. doi: 10.17225/jhp00010
39. EAHAD Nurses Committee., Harrington C, Bedford M, Andritschke K, Barrie A, Elfvinge P, Grønhaug S, Mueller-Kagi E, Leenders B, Schrijvers LH. A European curriculum for nurses working in haemophilia. Haemophilia. 2016;22(1):103-9. doi: 10.1111/hae.12785.