An integrated model of specialised-delivered care is widely accepted as the standard of care for people with haemophilia in the UK. Assessment of available evidence on patient outcomes confirms this approach. But leading the specialist care for this group of patients does not require a medical qualification. Specialist nursing is well established within the haemophilia service and offers perhaps the greatest resource as health services cope with cost constraints on the specialist provision of services.
1. Srivastava A, Brewer AK, Mauser-Bunschoten EP, et al. Guidelines for the management of hemophilia. Haemophilia 2013; 19(1): e1-47.
2. Pai M, Key NS, Skinner M, et al. NHF-McMaster guideline on care models for haemophilia management. Haemophilia 2016; 22 (Suppl. 3): 6-16.
3. Yeung C, Santesso N, Zeraatkar D, et al. Integrated multidisciplinary care for the management of chronic conditions in adults: an overview of reviews and an example of using indirect evidence to inform clinical practice recommendations in the field of rare disease. Haemophilia 2016; 22 (Suppl. 3): 41-50.
4. Kaupp MJ, Säilä H, Belt EA, Hakala M. Beware of the biologicals - hospitals may die: the Rheumatism Foundation Hospital, Heinola, Finland (1951-2010). Clin Rheumatol 2012; 31(8): 1151-4.
5. The King’s Fund. Haywood Rheumatology Centre - case study. October 2014. Available from https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/sites/files/kf/media/haywood-rheumatology-centrekingsfund-oct14.pdf (accessed 14 November 2016).
6. Väre P. Nikophorou E, Hannonen P, Sokka T. Delivering a one-stop, integrated, and patient-centred service for patients with rheumatic diseases. SAGE Open Med 2016; 14:4. doi:
12. Chambost H. Assessing risk factors prevention of inhibitors in haemophilia. Haemophilia 2010; 16 (Suppl. 2): 10-15.
13. Franchini M, Tagliaferri A, Mannucci PM. The management of haemophilia in elderly patients. Clin Interv Aging 2007; 2(3): 361-8.
14. Franchini M, Mannucci PM. Past, present and future of hemophilia: a narrative review. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2012; 7:24.
15. Mannucci PM, Mauser-Bunschoten EP. Cardiovascular disease in haemophilia patients: a contemporary issue. Haemophilia 2010; 16 (Suppl. 3): 58-66.
16. Coppola A, Tagliaferri A, Franchini M. The management of cardiovascular diseases in patients with hemophilia. Semin Thromb Hemost 2010; 36: 91-102.
17. Peyvandi F, Palla R, Menegatti M, et al. Coagulation factor activity and clinical bleeding severity in rare bleeding disorders: results from the European Network of Rare Bleeding Disorders. J Thromb Haemost 2012; 10(4): 615-21.