The HIV and hepatitis C epidemics of the 1980s represent the darkest days in the history of modern haemophilia care. The haemophilia centre at the Royal Free Hospital was at the forefront of research into the natural history of both diseases. This work led directly to the widespread use of recombinant products, as well as the establishment of combined haemophilia clinics with hepatologists and HIV physicians.
1. Bennett E, Dormandy KM, Churchill WG, et al. Cryoprecipitate and the plastic blood-bag system: provision of adequate replacement therapy for routine treatment of haemophilia. Br Med J 1967; 2: 88-91.
2. Levine PH, McVerry BA, Attock B, Dormandy KM. Health of the intensively treated hemophiliac, with special reference to abnormal liver chemistries and splenomegaly. Blood 1977; 50: 1-9.
3. Kernoff PB, Lee CA, Karayiannis P, Thomas HC. High risk of non-A non-B hepatitis after a first exposure to volunteer or commercial clotting factor concentrates: effects of prophylactic immune serum globulin. Br J Haematol 1985; 60: 469-79.
4. Lee CA, Kernoff PB, Peters DK. Cryoglobulinaemia in haemophilia. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1985; 290: 1947-8.
5. Lee CA, Kernoff PB, Karayiannis P, Thomas HC. Interferon therapy for chronic non-A non-B and chronic delta liver disease in haemophilia. Br J Haematol 1989; 72: 235-8.
6. Lee CA, Phillips A, Elford J, Miller EJ, et al. The natural history of human immunodeficiency virus infection in a haemophilic cohort. Br J Haematol 1989; 73: 228-34.
7. Phillips AN, Lee CA, Elford J, et al. Serial CD4 lymphocyte counts and development of AIDS. Lancet 1991; 337: 389-92.
8. Phillips AN, Sabin CA, Elford J, et al. Use of CD4 lymphocyte count to predict long-term survival free of AIDS after HIV infection. BMJ 1994; 309: 309-13.
9. Darby SC, Kan SW, Spooner RJ, et al. The impact of HIV on mortality rates in the complete UK haemophilia population. AIDS 2004; 18: 525-33.
10. Anon. Post-transfusion hepatitis. Br Med J (Clin Res Ed) 1981; 283: 1-2.
11. Biggs R. Witnessing medical history: an interview with Dr Rosemary Biggs. Interview by Christine Lee and Charles Rizza. Haemophilia 1998; 4: 769-77.
12. Dudley NE, Kernoff PB, Gough MH. Surgery in children with congenital disorders of blood coagulation. J Pediatr Surg 1971; 6: 689-701.
13. Rizza CR. Historical annotation. Haemophilia 1995; 1: 210-2.
14. Yee TT, Griffioen A, Sabin CA, et al. The natural history of HCV in a cohort of haemophilic patients infected between 1961 and 1985. Gut 2000; 47: 845-51.
15. Schwartz RS, Abildgaard CF, Aledort LM, et al. Human recombinant DNA-derived antihemophilic factor (factor VIII) in the treatment of hemophilia A. recombinant Factor VIII Study Group. N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 1800-5.
16. Ludlam CA, Turner ML. Managing the risk of transmission of variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease by blood products. Br J Haematol 2006; 132: 13-24.
17. Lee CA, Ironside JW, Bell JE, et al. Retrospective neuropathological review of prion disease in UK haemophilic patients. Thromb Haemost 1998; 80: 909-11.
18. Peden A, McCardle L, Head MW, et al. Variant CJD infection in the spleen of a neurologically asymptomatic UK adult patient with haemophilia. Haemophilia 2010; 16: 296-304. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2516.2009.02181.x.