A case of respiratory failure in a domestic fire victim presenting with 1-3-degree skin burns on 10% of the total body surface, is reported. Forty-eight hours after admission to hospital, the patient developed severe respiratory failure that did not respond to mechanical ventilation. Severe obstruction of the airway had resulted from secretions and deposits of soot forming bronchial casts. The patient required repeated bronchoscopies to separate and remove the bronchial secretions and soot deposits. An emergency bronchial endoscopic exam was crucial in the patient’s survival and management. The patient was discharged from the hospital after twenty-four days.
2. Hassan Z Wong JK Bush J Bayat A Dunn KW. Assessing the severity of inhalation injuries in adults. Burns. 2010;36:212-6.
3. Bai C Huang HD Yao XP et al. Application of flexible bronchoscopy in inhalation lung injury. Diagn Pathol. 2013;8:174.
4. Mlcak RP Suman OE Herndon DN. Respiratory management of inhalation injury. Burns. 2007;33:2–13.
5. Jones SW Zhou H Ortiz-Pujols SM et al. Bronchoscopy-Derived Correlates of Lung Injury following Inhalational Injuries: A Prospective Observational Study. Plos One. 2013;8:e64250.
6. Marek K Piotr W Stanislaw S et al. Fiberoptic bronchoscopy in routine clinical practice in confirming the diagnosis and treatment of inhalation burns. Burns. 2007;33:554–60.
7. Traber DL Hawkins HK Enkhbaatar P et al. The role of the bronchial circulation in the acute lung injury resulting from burn and smoke inhalation. Pulm Pharmacol Ther. 2007;20:163–6.
8. Enkhbaatar P Traber DL. Pathophysiology of acute lung injury in combined burn and smoke inhalation injury. Clin Sci. 2004;107:137–43.
9. Lee AS Mellins RB. Lung injury from smoke inhalation. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2006;7:123–8.
10. Amin M Shaarawy H Gad El-Rab E. Role of fiberoptic bronchoscopy in management of smoke inhalation lung injury. Egyptian Journal of Chest Diseases and Tuberculosis. 2015;64:733–7.
11. Carr JA Phillips BD Bowling WM. The utility of bronchoscopy after inhalation injury complicated by pneumonia in burn patients: Results from the national burn repository. J Burn Care Res.2009;30:967-74.
12. Walker PF Buehner MF Wood LA. et al. Diagnosis and management of inhalation injury: an updated review. Crit Care. 2015;19:351.