The objective of the study was to investigate the influence of sperm DNA fragmentation index (DFI) by DNA integrity test on pregnancy outcome and pregnancy loss after assisted reproductive technology (ART) procedure: autologous intracytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI), donation eggs ICSI, and intrauterine insemination (IUI). We investigated men from 531 couples undergoing autologous ICSI procedure (n=416), from couples undergoing donation eggs procedure (n=39) and IUI (n=76). We performed the following interventions: semen analysis, DNA integrity test, embryo scoring by Gardner and Schoolcraft grading system (1999). The study showed no statistically significant differences between the group regarding pregnancy rate (χ2=0.55; p>0.05; OR=1.25, 95% Cl 1.23-1.46; p>0.05). However, with increased levels of DFI, the number of pregnancy losses became higher (including biochemical pregnancies and spontaneous abortions) at OR=5.65 (95% Cl 4.32-7.11; p=0.05). We examined the percentage of grade I blastocysts (by Gardner and Schoolcraft, 1999) before donation eggs embryo transfer and found a statistically significant correlation with both the DFI (χ2=7.80; p<0.05) and sperm morphology (χ2=6.14; p<0.05). Analysis of the relationship between DFI and IUI output (clinical pregnancy, miscarriage) revealed significant correlations in both directions: between DFI and pregnancy rate after IUI (χ2=6.29; p<0.05) and between the DFI and pregnancy development after IUI (χ2=6.87; p<0.05). The three group categories (autologous, heterologous ICSI procedures and IUI) studied showed that sperm samples with DFI>27% were associated with increased riskofearlypregnancyloss. Men with infertility should undergo DNA fragmentation assay in addition to the standard semen analysis. When DFI exceeds 27%, ICSI should be a method of choice, even in cases where the conventional parameters of semen analysis tests are normal.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Thonneau P Marchand S Tallec A Ferial ML Ducot B Lansac J et al. Incidence and main causes of infertility in a resident population. Hum Reprod. 1991;6:811-6.
2. Lamb DJ Lipshultz LI. Male infertility: recent advances and a Iook toward the future. Out Opin Urol. 2000; 10:359-62.
3. Oehninger S. Clinical and laboratory management of male infertility: an opinion on its current status. JAndrol. 2000;21:814-21.
4. Nagy ZP Liu J Joris H Verheyen G Toumaye 11 Camus M et al. The result of intracytoplasmic sperm injection is not related to any of the three basic sperm parameters. Hum Reprod. 1995;10:1123-9.
5. Lopes S Sun J Jurisicova A Meriano J Casper RF. Sperm deoxyribonucleic acid fragmentation is increased in poor-quality semen samples and correlates with failed fertilization in intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Fertil Steril. 1998;69:528-32.
7. Ludwig M Diedrich K. Possibilities and limits of assisted reproduction. Gesundheitswesen. 1999;61:593-600.
8. Sakkas D UmerF Bianchi PG Bizzaro D Wagner I Jaquenoud N et al. Sperm chromatin abnormalities can influence decondensation after intracytoplasmic sperm injection. Hum Reprod. 1996;11:837-43.
9. Irvine DS Twigg JP Gordan EL Fulton N Milne A Aitken J. DNA integrity in human spermatozoa: relationships with semen quality. J Androl. 2000;21:33-44.
10. Evenson DP Jost LK Marshall D Zinaman MJ Clegg E Purvis K et al. Utility of the sperm chromatin structure assay as a diagnostic tool in the human fertility clinic. Hum Reprod. 1999;14:1039-49.
11. Larson KL DeJonge CJ Barnes AM Jost LK Evenson DP. Relationship of assisted reproductive technique (ART) outcomes with sperm chromatin integrity and maturity as measures by the sperm chromatin structure assay (SCSA). Hum Reprod. 2000;15:1717-22.
12. Morris ID Ilott S Dixon L Brison DR. The spectrum of DNA damage in human sperm assessed by single cell electrophoresis (COMETassay) and its relationship to fertilization and embryo development. Hum Reprod. 2002; 17:990-8.
13. Saleh RA Agarwal A Nelson DR Nada EA El-Tonsy MH Alvarez G et al. Increased sperm nuclear DNA damage in normozoospermic infertile men: a prospective study. Fertil Steril. 2002;78:313-8.
14. Spano M Bonde JP Hjollund HI Kolstad HA Cordelli E Leter G. Sperm chromatin damage impairs human fertility. The Danish First Pregnancy Planner Study Team. Fertil Steril. 2000;73:43-50.
15. Zini A Bielecki R Phang D Zenzes MT. Correlations between two markers of DNA integrity DNA denaturation and DNA fragmentation in fertile and infertile men. Fertil Steril. 2001;75:674-7.
16. Tomlinson MJ MoffattO Manicardi GC Bizzaro D AfnanM Sakkas D. Interrelationshipsbetween seminal parameters and sperm nuclear DNA damage before and after density gradient centrifugation: implications for assisted conception. Hum Reprod. 2001; 16:2160-5.
17. World Health Organization. WHO laboratory manual for the examination and processing of human semen. 5th ed. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2010.
18. Sakkas D Mariethoz Manicardi G Bizzaro DBianchi U. Origin of DNA damage in ejaculated human spermatozoa. Rev Reprod. 1999;4:31 -7
19. Zini AGarrels K Phang D. Anti oxidant activity in the semen of fertile and infertile men. Urology. 2000;55:922-6.
20. Agarwal A Prabakaran S Allamaneni SS. Relationship between oxidative stress varicocele and infertility: a meta-analysis. Reprod Biomed Online. 2006; 12:630-3.
21. Saleh RA Agarwal A Nada EA El-Tonsy MH Sharma RK Meyer A et al. Negative effects of increased sperm DNA damage in relation to seminal oxidative stress in men with idiopathic and male factor infertility. Fertil Steril. 2003;79:1597-605.
22. Janny L Menezo YJ. Evidence for a strong paternal effect on human preimplantation embryo development and blastocyst formation. Mol Reprod Dev. 1994;38(1 ):36-42.
23.Sikka SC Rajasekaran M Hellstrom WJ. Role of oxidative stress and antioxidants in male infertility. JAndrol. 1995;16:464-8.
24. Evenson DR Sperm chromatin structure assay (SCSA*): 30 years of experience with the SCSA®. In: Zini A Agarwal A editors. Sperm chromatin: Biological and clinical applications in male infertility and assisted reproduction. New York: Springer;2011.p. 125-49.
25. Zinaman MJ Brown CC Selevan SG Clegg ED. Semen quality and human fertility: a prospective study with healthy couples J Androl. 2000;21(1): 145-53.
26. Bungum M Humaidan P Axmon A Spano M Bungum L Erenpreiss J et al. Sperm DNA integrity assessment in prediction of assisted reproduction technology outcome. Hum Reprod [Internet]. 2007;22(1): 174-9. Available from: http://humrep.oxfordjoumals.Org/content/22/l/174.short-aff-l.
27.Giwercman A Lindstedt L Larsson M Bungum M Spano M Levine RJ et al. Sperm chromatin structure assay as an independent predictor of fertility in vivo: a case-control study. Int J Androl. 2010;33( 1 ):e221 -7.