Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation (CCAM) is a rare abnormality of lung development. It was classified into 5 types by Stocker in 2002 and is also known under the name of congenital pulmonary airway malformation (CPAM). Cases are typically identified prenatally by routine ultrasonography screening. CCAM may present in the older child and adult as an incidental finding. The case presented is of a 21-year-old male patient who suffered from pulmonary infections with a recurrent productive cough 3-4 times the last 4 years. CT scanning of the thorax showed multiple cystic lesions in the right middle and lower lobes. The areas with the lesions were resected. The macroscopic and histological findings were typical for congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation type 2, which was the final diagnosis. Clinical presentations and prognosis depend on the type of lesion and its sequelae. The diagnosis is confirmed histologically.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Wilson RD Hedrick HL Liechty KW Flake AW Johnson MP Bebbington M et al. Cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung: review of genetics prenatal diagnosis and in utero treatment. Am J Med Genet A. 2006;140(2):151-5.
2. Kotecha S Barbato A Bush A Claus F Davenport M Delacourt C et al. Antenatal and postnatal management of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2012;13(3):162-70; quiz 170-1.
3. Laberge JM Flageole H Pugash D Khalife S Blair G Filiatrault D et al. Outcome of the prenatally diagnosed congenital cystic adenomatoid lung malformation: a Canadian experience. Fetal Diagn Ther. 2001;16(3):178-86.
4. Luján M Bosque M Mirapeix RM Marco MT Asensio O Domingo C. Late-onset congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung. Embryology clinical symptomatology diagnostic procedures therapeutic approach and clinical follow-up. Respiration. 2002;69(2):148-54.
5. Sauvat F Michel JL Benachi A Emond S Revillon Y. Management of asymptomatic neonatal cystic adenomatoid malformations. J Pediatr Surg. 2003;38(4):548-52.
6. Shanti CM Klein MD. Cystic lung disease. Semin Pediatr Surg. 2008; 17:2-8.
7. Stocker JT. Cystic lung disease in infants and children. Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2009;28:155-84.
8. Bromley B Parad R Estroff JA Benacerraf BR. Fetal lung masses: Prenatal course and outcome. J Ultrasound Med. 1995;14: 27-936.
9. Di Prima FA Bellia A Inclimona G Grasso F Teresa M Cassaro MN. Antenatally diagnosed congenital cystic adenomatoid malformations (CCAM): Research Review. J Prenat Med. 2012;6(2):22-30.
10. Ramos SG Barbosa GH Tavora FR Jeudy J Torres LA Tone LG et al. Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma arising in a congenital pulmonary airway malformation in a child: case report with an update of this association. J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42:E1-4.
11. MacSweeney F Papagiannopoulos K Goldstraw P Sheppard MN Corrin B Nicholson AG. An assessment of the expanded classification of congenital cystic adenomatoid malformations and their relationship to malignant transformation. Am J Surg Pathol. 2003;27:1139-46.
12. Stocker JT Madewell JE Dark RM. Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung: Classification and morphologic spectrum. Hum Pathol. 1977;8: 155-71.
13. Stocker JT. Congenital and developmental diseases. In: Dail DH Hammer SP editors. Pulmonary pathology. 2nd ed. New York: Springer; 1994. p 174-80.
14. Davidson LA Batman P Fagan DG. Congenital acinar dysplasia: a rare cause of pulmonary hypoplasia. Histopathology. 1998;3:57-59.
15. Adzick NS Harrison MR Glick PL Golbus MS Anderson RL Mahony BS et al. Fetal cystic adenomatoid malformation: Prenatal diagnosis and natural history. J Pediatr Surg. 1985;20:483-8.
16. Thorpe-Beeston JG Nicolaides KH. Cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung: prenatal diagnosis and outcome. Prenat Diagn. 1994;14(8): 677-88.
17. Adzick NS. Management of fetal lung lesions. Clin Perinatol. 2003;30:481-92.
18. Huang HJ Talbot AR Liu KC Chen CP Fang HY. Infected cystic adenomatoid malformation in an adult. Ann Thorac Surg. 2004; 78:337-9.
19. Oh BJ Lee JS Kim JS Lim CM Koh Y. Congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of the lung in adults: clinical and CT evaluation of seven patients. Respirology. 2006;11:496-501.
20. West D Nicholson AG Colquhoun I Pollock J. Bronchioloalveolar carcinoma in congenital cystic adenomatoid malformation of lung. Ann Thorac Surg. 2007;83:687-9.
21. Oliveira C Himidan S Pastor AC Nasr AD Taylor G Yanchar NL et al. Discriminating preoperative features of pleuropulmonary blastomas (PPB) from congenital cystic adenomatoid malformations (CCAM): a retrospective age-matched study. Ann Thorac Surg. 2011;21:2-7.