The incidence of deep venous thrombosis (DVT) depends on the specific genotype, inheritance of prothrombotic polymorphisms and the influence of environmental risk factors. Rs1799889(-) polymorphism in the promotor of PAI-1 gene has been described as a risk factor for hypercoagulable state. Objective: To evaluate the contribution of thrombophilic rs1799889 (-) in the promotor of PAI-1 gene on the incidence of DVT in women and men in groups below and above 45 years of age. Тhere was significantly higher rs1799889 (-) polymorphism carriage among female patients with DVT vs controls (Chi squared =5.506, OR=2.170, p=0.021) but not in male patients (Chi squared =0.090 OR=1.147, p=0.825). A significant contribution of rs1799889 (-) polymorphism to early onset of the disease was found in female patients aged 45+ and carriers of the polymorphism (Chi squared =7.476, p=0.006), but not in young women.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Rosendaal F. Venous thrombosis: amulticausal disease. Lancet. 1999;353(9159):1167-73.
2. Kujovich J. Factor V Leiden thrombophilia. Genet Med. 2011;13(1):1-16.
3. Rodger M Wells PS. Diagnosis of pulmonary embolism. Thromb Res. 2001;103(6):225-38.
4. Stiko A Hervio L Loskutoff DJ. Plasminogen activator inhibitors. In: Colleman RW Hirsh J Marder VJ Clowes AW George JN editors. Hemostasis and Thrombosis: Basic Principles and Clinical Practice. Philadelphia: Pa: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2001. p. 975-1002. 2002.
5. Smith EB. Haemostatic risk factors for cardiovascular diseases. 1998;19:39-43.
6. Olié V Zhu T Martinez I Scarabin P-Y Emmerich J. Sex-specific risk factors for recurrent venous thromboembolism. Thromb Res. 2012;130(1):16-20.
7. Bates SM Jaeschke R Stevens SM Goodacre S Wells PS Stevenson MD et al. Diagnosis of DVT: Antithrombotic Therapy and Prevention of Thrombosis. 2012;141(2):351-418.
8. Wilbur J Shian B. Diagnosis of DVT Am Fam Physician. 2012:86(10):913-9.
9. Komsa-Penkova R Kovacheva- Kotseva K Angelova S Savov A Semionova M. Selected methods of DNA analysis and clinical applications. Pleven: MU – Pleven; 2004.
10. Kwok S Higuchi R. Avoiding false-positives with PCR. Nature. 1989;339(6221):237-8.
11. Tsantes AE Nikolopoulos GK Bagos PG Rapti E Mantzios G Kapsimali V et al. Association between the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 4G/5G polymorphism and venous thrombosis: a meta-analysis. Thromb Haemost. 2007;97(6):907-13.
12. Ivanov P Komsa-Penkova R Ivanov Y Ivanov I Matkov O Beshev L. [Polymorphism in 4G/5G in the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene in patients with DVT]. Savremenna Medicina. 2009;60(2):35-9. Bulgarian
13. Roest M van der Schouw YT Banga JD Tempelman MJ de Groot PG Sixma JJ et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor 4G polymorphism is associated with decreased risk of cerebrovascular mortality in older women. Circulation. 2000;101(1):67-70.
14. Boekholdt SM Bijsterveld NR Moons AH Levi M Büller HR Peters RJ. Genetic variation in coagulation and fibrinolytic proteins and their relation with acute myocardial infarction: a systematic review. Circulation. 2001;104(25):3063-8.
15. Hindorff LA Schwartz SM Siscovick DS Psaty BM Longstreth WT Jr Reiner AP. The association of PAI-1 promoter 4G/5G insertion/deletion polymorphism with myocardial infarction and stroke in young women. J Cardiovasc Risk. 2002;9(2):131-7.
16. Hoekstra T Geleijnse JM Kluft C Giltay EJ Kok FJ Schouten EG. 4G/4G genotype of PAI-1 gene is associated with reduced risk of stroke in elderly. Stroke. 2003;34:2822-8
17. Heijmans BT Westendorp RG Knook DL Kluft C Slagboom PE. Angiotensin I–converting enzyme and plasminogen activator inhibitor–1 gene variants: risk of mortality and fatal cardiovascular disease in an elderly population-based cohort. J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999;34:1176-83.
18. Roest M van der Schouw YT Banga JD Tempelman MJ de Groot PG Sixma JJ et al. Plasminogen activator inhibitor 4G polymorphism is associated with decreased risk of cerebrovascular mortality in older women. 2000;101:67-70.
19. Argirios E Tsantes A Georgios K Nikolopoulos B Pantelis G Bagos S et al. The effect of the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 4G/5G polymorphism on the thrombotic risk. Thromb Res. 2008;122:736-42
20. Komsa-Penkova R Ivanov Y Tonchev P Ivanov P Golemanov G Kovacheva K et al. Predisposition to thrombophilia and hypofibrinolysis in pulmonary embolism: analysis of inherited factors. J Boimed Clin Res. 201;6(2):73-81.
21. Saucedo R Basurto L Zarate A Martínez C Hernandez M Galván R. Effect of Estrogen Therapy on Insulin Resistance and Plasminogen Activator Inhibitor Type 1 Concentrations in Postmenopausal Women. Gynecol Obstet Invest. 2007;64(2):61-4