The present study demonstrates the antihypertensive effect of magnesium sulfate (Cormagnesin®) and its combination with Furosemide on conscious spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHR) after intravenous infusion. Experiments were carried out on six groups of conscious male SHR (n=6). Under short anesthesia the rats were chronically instrumented for intravenous (i.v.) drug administration. The arterial blood pressure (AP) was measured by indirect tale method. Cormagnesin® was applied by i.v. infusion in doses of 5, 20 and 40 mg/kg; and furosemide (10 mg/kg) was applied intraperitoneally. Experimental results showed significant decrease of AP after i.v. infusion of 20 mg/kg Cormagnesin® as well as after application of the Cormagnesin® and furosemide combination. The hypotensive effects of 40 mg/kg Cormagnesin® and of furosemide were not significant. There was no significant difference between the antihypertensive effects of Cormagnesin® and its combination with furosemide but the combination showed much better hypotensive effect than Furosemide (p<0.05). Our study demonstrated the antihypertensive effect of magnesium sulfate on conscious SHR after i.v. application. Our results suggest that the antihypertensive effect of magnesium sulfate in the doses applied is not dose-dependent. Magnesium sulfate potentiates the antihypertensive effect of furosemide in SHR.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Laurant P Touyz RM. Physiological and pathophysiological role of magnesium in the cardiovascular system: implications in hypertension. J Hypertens. 2000;18(9):1177-91.
2. Cunha AR Umbelino B Correia ML Neves MF. Magnesium and vascular changes in hypertension. Int J Hypertens. 2012;2012:754250.
3. Laurant P Dalle M Berthelot A Rayssiguier Y. Time-course of the change in blood pressure level in magnesium-deficient Wistar rats. Br J Nutr. 1999;82(3):243-51.
4. Touyz RM. Role of magnesium in the pathogenesis of hypertension. Mol Aspects Med. 2003;24 (1-3):107-36.
5. Adrian M Chanut E Laurant P Gaume V Berthelot A. A long-term moderate magnesium-deficient diet aggravates cardiovascular risks associated with aging and increases mortality in rats. J Hypertens. 2008;26(1):44-52.
6. Okamoto K Aoki K. Development of a strain of spontaneously hypertensive rats. Jpn Circ J. 1963;27:282-93.
7. Bollman LJ Cain C Grindley JH. Techniques for the collection of lymph from the liens small intestine or thoracic duct of the rat. J Lab Clin Med. 1948;33(10):1349-52.
8. Higashino H Simeonova K Lambev I Markov M Suzuki A. Proper measurement of blood pressure and heart rate in SHRSP and WKY by an indirect volume-oscillometric method. Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1995;22(Suppl 1):S292-3.
9. Mochizuki M Akagi K Inoue K Shimamura K. [A single dose toxicity of Magnesium sulfate in rats and dogs]. J Toxicol Sci. 1998;23(Suppl 1):31-5. Japanese.
10. Hazard R Wurmser L. Actions des sels de magnesium sur les vasoconstricteux renaux. C.R. Seances Soc Biol. 1932;110:525-7.
11. Touyz RM Pu Q He G Chen X Yao G Neves MF et al. Effects of low dietary magnesium intake on development of hypertension in stroke-prone spontaneously hypertensive rats: role of reactive oxygen species. J Hypertens. 2002;20(11):2221-32.
12. Laurant P Robin S Berthelot A. Magnesium deficiency increases vasoconstrictor activity without affecting blood pressure of aged spontaneously hypertensive rats. Magnes Res. 1997;10(2):107-17.
13. Altura BM Altura BT Gebrewold A Ising H Günther T. Noise-induced hypertension and magnesium in rats: relationship to microcirculation and calcium. J Appl Physiol. 1992;72(1):194-202.
14. Altura BM Altura BT. Magnesium and cardiovascular biology: an important link between cardiovascular risk factors and atherogenesis. Cell Mol Biol Res. 1995;41(5):347-59.
15. Laurant P Hayoz D Brunner HR Berthelot A. Effect of magnesium deficiency on blood pressure and mechanical properties of rat carotid artery. Hypertension. 1999;33(5):1105-10.
16. Berthon N Laurant P Hayoz D Fellmann D Brunner HR Berthelot A. Magnesium supplementation and deoxycorticosterone acetate-salt hypertension: effect on arterial mechanical properties and on activity of endothelin-1. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 2002;80(6):553-61.
17. Weglicki WB Phillips TM Freedman AM Cassidy MM Dickens BF. Magnesium-deficiency elevates circulating levels of inflammatory cytokines and endothelin. Mol Cell Biochem. 1992;110(2):169-73.
18. Laurant P Berthelot A. Influence of endothelium on Mg(2+)-induced relaxation in noradrenaline-contracted aorta from DOCA-salt hypertensive rat. Eur J Pharmacol. 1994;258:167-72.
19. Rayssiguier Y Gueux E Nowacki W Rock E Mazur A. High fructose consumption combined with low dietary magnesium intake may increase the incidence of the metabolic syndrome by inducing inflammation. Magnes Res. 2006;19(4):237-43.
20. Mazur A Maier JA Rock E Gueux E Nowacki W Rayssiguier Y. Magnesium and the inflammatory response: potential physiopathological implications. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2007;458(1):48-56.
21. Nishio A Gebrewold A Altura BT Altura BM. Comparative effects of magnesium salts on reactivity of arterioles and venules to constrictor agents: an in situ study on microcirculation. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 1988;246(3):859-65.
22. Berthon N Laurant P Fellmann D Berthelot A. Effect of magnesium on mRNA expression and production of endothelin-1 in DOCA-salt hypertensive rats. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol. 2003;42(1):24-31.
23. Dettmann ES Lüscher TF Flammer J Haefliger IO. Modulation of endothelin-1-induced contractions by magnesium/calcium in porcine ciliary arteries. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 1998;236(1):47-51.
24. Kemp PA Gardiner SM Bennett T Rubin PC. Magnesium sulphate reverses carotid vasoconstriction caused by endothelin-1 angiotensin II and neuropeptide-Y but not that caused by NG-nitro-L-arginine methyl ester in conscious rats. Clin Sci. 1993;85:175-81.
25. Laurant P Berthelot A. Influence of endothelium on Mg(2+)-induced relaxation in noradrenaline-contracted aorta from DOCA-salt hypertensive rat. Eur J Pharmacol. 1994;258(3):167-72.
26. Briel RC Lippert TH Zahradnik HP. [Changes in blood coagulation thrombocyte function and vascular prostacyclin synthesis caused by magnesium sulfate]. Geburtshilfe Frauenheilkd. 1987;47(5):332-6. German.
27. Resnick LM Militianu D Cunnings AJ Pipe JG Evelhoch JL Soulen RL. Direct magnetic resonance determination of aortic distensibility in essential hypertension: relation to age abdominal visceral fat and in situ intracellular free magnesium. Hypertension. 1997;30(3 Pt 2):654-9.
28. Yang ZW Gebrewold A Nowakowski M Altura BT Altura BM. Mg(2+)-induced endothelium-dependent relaxation of blood vessels and blood pressure lowering: role of NO. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2000;278(3):R628-39.
29. Vilskersts R Kuka J Liepinsh E Cirule H Gulbe A Kalvinsh I Dambrova M. Magnesium nitrate attenuates blood pressure rise in SHR rats. Magnes Res. 2014;27(1):16-24.
30. Touyz MR Milne FJ Reinach GS. Intracellular Mg2+ Ca2+ Na+ and K+ in platelets and erythrocytes of essential hypertension patients: relation to blood pressure. Clin Exp Hypertens A. 1992; 14(6):1189-209.
31. Laurant P Kantelip JP Berthelot A. Dietary magnesium supplementation modifies blood pressure and cardiovascular function in mineralocorticoid-salt hypertensive rats but not in normotensive rats. J Nutr. 1995;125(4):830-41.
32. Jin K Kim TH Kim YH Kim YW. Additional antihypertensive effect of magnesium supplementation with an angiotensin II receptor blocker in hypomagnesemic rats. Corean J Intern Med. 2013;28(2):197-205.
33. Makynen H Kahonen M Arvola P Wuorela H Vapaatalo H Porsti I. Dietary calcium and magnesium supplements in spontaneously hypertensive rats and isolated arterial reactivity. Br J Pharmacol. 1995;115(8):1455-62.
34. Katz A Rosenthal T Maoz C Peleg E Zeidenstein R Levi Y. Effect of a mineral salt diet on 24 hr blood pressure monitoring in elderly hypertensive patients. J Hum Hypertens. 1999;13(11):777-80.