Total extraperitoneal hernioplasty (TEP) has become increasingly used by surgeons. The TEP procedure is technically more challenging due to space constraints and has a higher learning curve. Chronic groin pain after inguinal hernia repair has become the dominant outcome investigated rather than recurrence. We aimed to evaluate the rate of chronic groin pain after TEP inguinal hernia repair performed at the Department of Surgical Oncology in G. Stranski University Hospital – Pleven. The procedures performed totaled 36. There was one conversion, and the patient was excluded from the study because the procedure performed was not laparoscopic. Distribution according to inguinal hernia type was: 41.7% - indirect hernia (15), 36.1% - direct hernia (13), 13.9% combined (5), and 8.3% femoral (3). Twenty-eight of the patients (80%) had preoperative pain. Two of the patients with chronic groin pain had had their meshes fixed with tacks (14.3% from the tack group with p=0.7). Our study showed that the TEP procedure is a safe, feasible operation with minimal risk for complications. Using tacks for mesh fixation is associated with higher rates of chronic groin pain, but it does not affect the recurrence rate, which correlates with the literature review data.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Jenkins JT O’Dwyer PJ. Inguinal hernias. BMJ (Clinical research ed.). 2008;336(7638):269–72.
2. Wei FX Zhang YC Wei H Zhang YL Shao Y Ni R. Transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) versus totally extraperitoneal (TEP) for laparoscopic hernia repair: a meta-analysis. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech. 2015;25(5):375–83
3. Belyansky I Tsirline VB Klima DA Walters AL Lincourt AE Heniford TB. Prospective comparative study of postoperative quality of life in TEP TAPP and modified Lichtenstein repairs. Ann Surg. 2011;254(5):709–15
4. Eker HH Langeveld HR Klitsie PJ van’t Riet M Stassen LP Weidema WF et al. Randomized clinical trial of total extraperitoneal inguinal hernioplasty vs lichtenstein repair: a long-term follow- up study. Arch Surg. 2012;147(3):256–60
5. Bansal VK Misra MC Babu D Victor J Kumar S Sagar R et al. A prospective randomized comparison of long-term outcomes: chronic groin pain and quality of life following totally extraperitoneal (TEP) and transabdominal preperitoneal (TAPP) laparoscopic inguinal hernia repair. Surg Endosc. 2013;27(7):2373–82
6. Techapongsatorn S Tansawet A Kasetsermwiriya W McEvoy M Attia J Wilasrusmee Ch et al. Mesh fixation technique in totally extraperitoneal inguinal hernia repair e A network meta- analysis. The Surgeon. 2018;17(4):215-24
7. Reynvoet E Berrevoet F. Pros and cons of tacking in laparoscopic hernia repair. Surg Technol Int. 2014;25:136–40