The rising incidence of bronchial asthma and obesity in children raises the question of whether there is a link between them. Chronic low-grade systemic inflammation could be one of the linking mechanisms. We aimed to determine the serum concentrations of high-sensitive C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), interleukin 6 (IL-6) and tumour necrosis factor a (TNF-a) in children with asthma and obesity and to seek a relationship between these inflammatory markers and asthma control. We investigated 88 children aged 6 to 17 years - 25 asthmatic obese children (AsOb), 25 asthmatic non-obese children (AsNOb), 19 obese non-asthmatic children (ObNAs), and 19 non-obese non-asthmatic children as controls. Serum levels of IL-6 and hs-CRP were significantly increased in asthmatic obese and ObNAs compared to AsNOb and the control group. Serum TNF-a concentration was similar in the four studied groups. There were no statistically significant differences in serum levels of these inflammatory markers between controlled and partially controlled/uncontrolled asthmatics (obese and non-obese). Knowing the possible mechanisms of interaction between bronchial asthma and obesity would contribute to a more effective therapeutic approach in these patients.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Dixon AE Holguin F Sood A Salome CM Pratley RE Beuther DA et al. An official American Thoracic Society Workshop report: obesity and asthma. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2010;7(5):325-35.
2. Mancuso P. Obesity and lung inflammation. J Appl Physiol. 2010;108(3):722-8.
3. Ali Z Ulrik CS. Obesity and asthma: a coincidenceoracausalrelationship?Asystematic review. Respir Med. 2013;107(9):1287-300.
4. Rincon M Irvin CG. Role of IL-6 in asthma and other inflammatory pulmonary diseases. Int J Biol Sci. 2012;8(9):1281-90.
5. Mukhopadhyay S Hoidal JR Mukherjee TK. Role of TNFalpha in pulmonary pathophysiology. Respir Res. 2006;7:125.
6. Chandrashekara S. C-reactive protein: An inflammatory marker with specific role in physiology pathology and diagnosis. IJRCI. 2014;2(S1):SR3.
7. Deraz TE Kamel TB El-Kerdany TA El-Ghazoly HM. High-sensitivity C reactive protein as a biomarker for grading of childhood asthma in relation to clinical classification induced sputum cellularity and spirometry. Pediatr Pulmonol. 2012;47(3):220-5.
8. Cole T Bellizi MC Flegal KM Dietz WH. Establishing a standard definition for child overweight and obesity worldwide: international survey. BMJ Clinical Research. 2000;320(7244):1240-3.
9. Galcheva SV Iotova VM Yotov YT Grozdeva KP Stratev VK Tzaneva VI. Waist circumference percentile curves for Bulgarian children and adolescents aged 6-18 years. Int J Pediatr Obes. 2009;4(4):381-8.
10. Global Initiative for Asthma. Global strategies for asthma management and prevention 2018 [Internet] 2018 [cited 2018 Dec 19]. Available from: https://ginasthma.org/2018-gina-report-global-strategy-for-asthma-management-and-prevention/
11. Vlahova D Stefanova E Kazakova K Iliev D. [High-sensitive CRP level in obese children and adolescents]. Pediatria 20104 (2):29-31. Bulgarian.
12. Lateva M Iotova V Popova R Galcheva S Georgieva M Chervenkov T et al. [Adiponectin some markers of metabolic risk and abdominal obesity in preschool age]. Varna Medical Forum. 2015;4(2):36-46. Bulgarian.
13. Galcheva SV Iotova VM Yotov YT Bernasconi S Street ME. Circulating proinflammatory peptides related to abdominal adiposity and cardiometabolic risk factors in healthy prepubertal children. Eur J Endocrinol. 2011;164(4):553-8.
14. Magrone T Simone M Altamura M Munno I. Characterization of the immune inflammatory profileinobeseasthmaticchildren. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets. 2014;14(3):187-95.
15. Zedan M Abdel-Hafeez H Hashem M Hemeda M Alsayyad M Abbas R et al. Cytokine profile of obese asthma phenotype. Egypt J Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2015;13(1):21-8.
16. Canoz M Erdenen F Uzun H Muderrisoglu C Aydin S. The relationship of inflammatory cytokines with asthma and obesity. Clin Invest Med.2008;31(6):E373-9.
17. Jensen ME Gibson PG Collins CE Wood LG. Airway and systemic inflammation in obese children with asthma. Eur Respir J. 2013;42(4):1012-9.
18. Galez D Dodig S Raos M Nogalo B. C-reactive protein in children with asthma and allergic rhinitis. Biochemia Medica. 2006;16(2):163-9.
19. Karthikeyan R Krishnamoorthy S Maamidi S Kaza AM Balasubramanian N. Effect of inhaled corticosteroids on systemic inflammation in asthma. Perspect Clin Res. 2014;5(2):75-9.
20. Hoshino M Ohtawa J Akitsu K. Increased C-reactive protein is associated with airway wall thickness in steroid-naive asthma. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014;113(1):37-41.
21. Takemura M Matsumoto H Niimi A Ueda T Matsuoka H Yamaguchi M et al. High sensitivity C-reactive protein in asthma. Eur Respir J. 2006;27(5):908-12.
22. Olafsdottir I Gislason T Thjodleifsson B Olafsson I Gislason D JoEgi R et al. C reactive protein levels are increased in non-allergic but not allergic asthma: a multicentre epidemiological study. Thorax. 2005;60(6):451-4.
23. Wood LG Baines KJ Fu J Scott HA Gibson PG. The neutrophilic inflammatory phenotype is associated with systemic inflammation in asthma. Chest. 2012;142(1):86-93.
24. Sigari N Ghasri H. Correlations between hs-CRP and Asthma Control Indices. Tanaffos. 2013;12(3):44-8.
25. Ramakrishnan N Sivathanu S Sampath S David S Mohan T. To study the correlation of high sensitivity C reactive protein levels with asthma control in children. Int J Contemp Pediatr. 2017;4(1):145-7.
26. Chen XJ Zhang YH Wang DH Liu YL. [Effects of body mass index and serum inflammatory cytokines on asthma control in children with asthma]. Zhongguo Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi. 2015;17(7):698-701.Chinese.
27. Navratil M Plavec D Dodig S Jelcic Z Nogalo B Erceg D et al. Markers of systemic and lung inflammation in childhood asthma. J Asthma. 2009;46(8):822-8.