Food allergy is an immunoglobulin E-meditated reaction, to which the organism’s immune system reacts to a food allergen, recognizing it as harmful. The study aimed to establish at what age cow’s milk protein allergy is manifested and determine the values of immunoglobulin E (IgE) and hemoglobin(Hb) in children with CMPA in Pleven region, Bulgaria. The study included 94 infants presenting with clinical manifestations of food allergy (age range 0 to 12 months) from Pleven and Pleven region, consulted in 2017 by a pediatrician at the University Hospital Consulting Center in Pleven. Venous blood was collected to determine the IgE and Hb values. Chronic iron-deficiency anemia could be the only clinical manifestation in children with CMPA. Out of all the children with CMPA, 17% had a pronounced anemic syndrome. The rest had normal Hb values. Anemic syndrome could have severe consequences for a growing child. Elevated IgE values were found in 73% of the children tested. CMPA is frequently seen in infants. Early diagnosis of clinical manifestations and diet could prevent severe complications of allergy such as chronic diarrhea, chronic urticaria, and asthma.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Caffarelli C, Baldi F, Bendandi B, Calzone L, Marani M, Pasquneli P. Cow’s milk protein allergy in children: a practical guide. Ital J Pediatr. 2010 Jan;36:5.
2. Morita H, Nomura I, Matsuda A, Saito H, Matsumoto K. Gastrointestinal food allergy in infants. Allergol Int. 2013;62(3):297-307.
3. Werfel T, Breuer K. Role of food allergy in atopic dermatitis. Curr Opin Allergy Clin Immunol. 2004;4(5):379-85.
4. Wood RA. The natural history of food allergy. Pediatrics. 2003;111(3):1631-7.
5. Longo G, Berti I, Burks AW, Krauss B, Barbi E. IgE-mediated food allergy in children. Lancet. 2013;382(9905):1656-64.
6. Nowak-Wegrzyn A, Sampson HA, Wood RA, Sicherer SH. Food protein induced enterocolitis syndrome caused by solid food proteins. Pediatrics. 2003;111(4):829-35.
7. Ravelli AM, Tobanelli P, Volpi S, Ugazio AG. Vomiting and gastric motility in infants with cow’s milk allergy. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2001;32(1):59-64.
8. Lifschitz C, Szajewska H. Cow’s milk allergy: evidence-based diagnosis and management for the practitioner. Eur J Pediatr. 2015;174(2):141-50.
9. Zeiger RS. Food allergen avoidance in the prevention of food allergy in infants and children. Pediatrics. 2003;111(3):1662-71.
10. Vandenplas Y, Alarcon P, Alliet P, De Greef E, De Ronne N, Hoffman I, et al. Algorithms for managing infant constipation, colic, regurgitation and cow’s milk allergy in formula-fed infants. Acta Pediatr. 2015;104(5):449-57.
11. Nocerino R, Granata V, Di Costanzo M, Pezzella V, Leone L, Passariello, A et al. Atopy patch tests are useful to predict oral tolerance in children with gastrointestinal symptoms related to non-IgE-mediated cows milk allergy. Allergy. 2013;68(2):246-8.
12. Caubet JC, Szajewska H, Shamir R, Wegrzyn A. Non-IgE-mediated gastrointestinal food allergies in children. Pediatr Allergy Immunol. 2017;28(1):6-17.
13. Sicherer SH. Clinical aspects of gastrointestinal food allergy in childhood. Pediatrics. 2003;111(3):1609-16.
14. Koletzko S, Niggemann B, Arato A, Dias JA, Heuschkel R, Husby S, et al. Diagnostic approach and management of cow’s milk protein allergy in infants and children: ESPGHAN GI Committee practical guidelines. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012;55(2):221-9.
15. Vandenplas Y, Bhatia J, Shamir R, Agostoni C, Turck D, Staiano A, et al. Hydrolyzed formulas for allergy prevention. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2014;58(5):549-52.
16. Høst A. Frequency of cow’s milk allergy in childhood. Ann Allerg Asthma Immunol. 2002;89(6 Suppl 1):S33-7.
17. Niggemann B, Beyer K. Diagnosis of food allergy in children: toward a standardization of food challenge. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007;45(4):399-404.
18. Sampson HA, Anderson JA. Summary and recommendations: classification of gastrointestinal manifestations due to immunologic reactions to foods in infant and young children. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2000;30(Suppl):S87-94.