Lung cancer is still the leading cancer-related cause of death with a high incidence rate in the whole world. Treatment options – surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy, depending on the stage of the disease. During the last decade, many molecular alterations were discovered that led to impressive changes in treatment. Personalized approaches, including target therapies with specific inhibitor drugs, became a part of the standard therapies. This article reviews current molecular biomarkers used in clinical practice to treat lung cancer patients.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Compressed mortality file 1999-2011 [CD- ROM]. Atlanta: National Center for Health Statistics; 2014.
2. National Oncological Hospital Bulgarian National Cancer Resistry. Cancer Incidence in Bulgaria. Sofia: Paradigma; 2014 170 p.
3. Chilingirova N Balabanski L Toncheva D Kurteva G Damyanov D Chilingirov P. Identifying the genetic landscape of squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and adenosquamous carcinoma (ASC) of the lung using next- generation sequencing (NGS). Ann Oncol. 2015;26 Suppl: i1- i5.
4. Chilingirova N Balabanski L Kurteva G Toncheva D Damyanov D Chilingirov P. Detection of driver mutation heterogeneity in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) using next generation sequencing (NGS). EJC. 2015;51 Suppl 3:S612-S613.
5. Chilingirova N Balabanski L Ivanov S Vazharova R Toncheva D Kurteva G. Detection of extensive driver mutation heterogeneity in 5 Bulgarian patients with adenosquamous carcinoma of the lung. Eur J Hum Genet. 2015;23(1).
6. Chilingirova N. [Non-small cell lung cancer in the era of precision medicine]. INSPIRO. 2017;2(40):13-7. Bulgarian.
7. Chilingirova N. [Role of tumor markers]. Rheumatology. 2013;21(1). Bulgarian.
8. Chilingirova N Kurteva G Toncheva D. [Lung Cancer and genetics]. Oncology. 2015; 4:40. Bulgarian.
9. Chilingirova N. [Lung Cancer - an overview]. Zdraven Navigator. 2017;3:2-4. Bulgarian.
10. Rousseau B Jacquot C Le Palabe J Malleter M Tomasoni C Boutard T et al. TP53 transcription factor for the NEDD9/HEF1/Cas-L gene: potential targets in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer treatment. Sci Rep. 2015 May 26;5:10356.
11. Malumbres M Barbacid M. RAS oncogenes: the first 30 years. Nat Rev Cancer. 2003;3(6):459- 65.
12. Cardarella S Ogino A Nishino M Butaney M Shen J Lydon C et al. Clinical pathologic and biologic features associated with BRAF mutations in non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19(16):4532-40.
13. Marchetti A Felicioni L Malatesta S Grazia Sciarrotta M Guetti L Chella A et al. Clinical features and outcome of patients with non-small- cell lung cancer harboring BRAF mutations. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(26):3574-9.
14. Hynes NE Lane HA. ERBB receptors and cancer: the complexity of targeted inhibitors. Nat Rev Cancer. 2005;5(5):341-4.
15. Popovska S Chilingirova N Dineva T Kamburova Z. Prevalence of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) gene mutations in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) in Bulgarian population J Thorac Oncol. 2016;11(4);Suppl:S128-S129.
16. Lampaki S Lazaridis G Zarogoulidis K Kioumis I Papaiwannou A Tsirgogianni K et al. Defining the role of tyrosine kinase inhibitors in early stage non-small cell lung cancer. J Cancer. 2015;6(6):568-74.
17. Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center. Molecular Profiling of Lung Cancer [Internet]. Nashville; c2016. [cited 2018 Febr 18]. Available from: https://www.mycancergenome.org/content/disease/lung-cancer/.
18. Huang L Fu L. Mechanisms of resistance to EGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Acta Pharm Sin B. 2015;5(5):390-401.
19. Yu HA Arcila ME Rekhtman N Sima CS Zakowski MF Pao W et al. Analysis of tumor specimens at the time of acquired resistance to EGFR-TKI therapy in 155 patients with EGFR-mutant lung cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2013;19(8):2240-7.
20. Sandler A Gray R Perry MC Brahmer J Schiller JH Dowlati A et al. Paclitaxel– Carboplatin Alone or with Bevacizumab for Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. N Engl J Med. 2006;355(24):2542-50.
21. Reck M von Pawel J Zatloukal P Ramlau R Gorbounova V Hirsh V et al. Overall survival with cisplatin-gemcitabine and bevacizumab or placebo as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: results from a randomised phase III trial (AVAiL). Ann Oncol. 2010;21(9):1804-9.
22. Reck M von Pawel J Zatloukal P Ramlau R Gorbounova V Hirsh V et al. Phase III trial of cisplatin plus gemcitabine with either placebo or bevacizumab as first-line therapy for nonsquamous non-small-cell lung cancer: AVAil. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(8):1227-34.
23. Scagliotti G Hanna N Fossella F Sugarman K Blatter J Peterson P et al. The differential efficacy of pemetrexed according to NSCLC histology: a review of two Phase III studies. Oncologist. 2009;14(3):253-63.
24. Chilingirova N Hammoudeh Z Balabanski L Ivanov S Vazharova R Nikolova D et al. TruSight Cancer Sequencing Panel reveals pharmacogenetic variants associated with sensitivity to chemotherapy in lung cancer. memo-Magazine of European Medical Oncology. 2016; 9(1):30-8.
25. Chilingirova N Kurteva G Toncheva D. TruSight Cancer Sequencing Panel for detecting of driver mutation heterogeneity and pharmacogenetic variants associated with sensitivity to chemotherapy in patients with non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Proceedings of the 8th National Conference for Rare Diseases and Orphan Drugs & 12th Balkan Congress of Human Genetics; 2017 Sept 8-10; Plovdiv Bulgaria: Abstract book p.67.
26. Chilingirova N Hammoudeh Z Balabanski L Ivanov S Vazharova R Nesheva D et al. Pharmacogenomic study of non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Hum Genet. 2015;23(1).
27. Chilingirova N Chilingirov N. [Pharmacogenetics and drug resistance in oncology]. Rheumatology. 2017 Dec: 35. Bulgarian.
28. Tibaldi C Giovannetti E Vasile E Mey V Laan AC Nannizzi S et al. Correlation of CDA ERCC1 and XPD polymorphisms with response and survival in gemcitabine/cisplatin- treated advanced non-small cell lung cancer patients. Clin Cancer Res. 2008;14(6):1797-3.
29. Chilingirova N Chilingirov N. [Therapy related side effects in the treatment of lung cancer]. Rheumatology. 2017 Dec; 1:47. Bulgarian.
30. Chilingirova N. [Mucositis]. In: [Kurteva G Trifonova I editors. Treatment related side effects]. Sofia; 2017. p. 149-163. Bulgarian.
31. Hrstka R Coates PJ VoJtesek B. Polymorphisms in p53 and the p53 pathway: roles in cancer susceptibility and response to treatment. J Cell Mol Med. 2009;13(3):440-53.
32. Dumont P Leu JI Della Pietra AC 3rd George DL Murphy M. The codon 72 polymorphic variants of p53 have markedly different apoptotic potential. Nat Genet. 2003;33(3):357- 65.
33. Liu L Wu C Wang Y Zhong R Duan S Wei S et al. Combined effect of genetic polymorphisms in P53 P73 and MDM2 on non-small cell lung cancer survival. J Thorac Oncol. 2011;6(11):1793-800.