The aim of the cross-sectional study was to estimate the absolute 10-year risk for fatal cardiovascular disease (CVD) in patients with hypertension by Systematic Coronary Risk Estimation (SCORE). The study was carried out in 2016 as part of Project No 4/2016. Ninety-one patients aged 40-89 years were included. The mean age of the sample was 66.0±11.0, and 44.0% were males. Information of the patients’ risk profile included about age, gender, blood pressure, smoking and total cholesterol. The patients with hypertension were stratified according to a 10-year absolute risk of CVD. Data were processed by Statistical Package for Social Science versions 19.0 (SPSS.v.19.0). Over two-thirds of the patients had 1 stage hypertension (31.9%) and 2 stage hypertension (37.4%). Median systolic blood pressure on admission to the clinics was 160 mg Hg, and median diastolic blood pressure was 90 mm Hg. Total serum cholesterol values exceeded 4.9 mmol/L in 64.0% of the patients. Smokers accounted for about one-fourth of the patients, most of them having smoked for 40 years. The mean number of risk factors for CVD was 3.0. Over 65% of the patients were found to be at a very high 10-year absolute risk of fatal CVD by SCORE. Cardiovascular risk assessment has important role in prevention of morbidity, premature death and disability of CVD.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. US Department of Health and Human Services National Institutes of Health National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Assessing Cardiovascular Risk – Systematic Evidence Review from the Risk Assessment Work Group. Bethesda; 2013. 139 p.
2. Reiner Z Catapano A Backer GD Gaham I Taskinen MR Wiclund O et al. ESC/EAS Guidelines for the managemet of dyslipidaemias. Eur Heart J. 2011;32:1769-818.
3. Lengelé JP Vinck WJ De Plaen JF Persu A. Cardiovascular risk assessment in hypertensive patients: major discrepancy according to ESH and SCORE strategies. J Hypertens. 2007;25(4):757-62.
4. Mancia G Fagard R Narkiewicz K Redón J Zanchetti A Böhm M et al. 2013 ESH/ESC Guidelines for the management of arterial hypertension: the Task Force for the management of arterial hypertension of the European Society of Hypertension (ESH) and of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). J Hypertens. 2013;31(7):1281-357.
5. Stoianov M. [Assessment of cardiovascular risk by SCORE]. Science Cardiology. 2010;3:142-7. Bulgarian.
6. Erhardt L Moller R Puig JG. Comprehensive cardiovascular risk management – what does it mean in practice? Vasc Health and Risk Manag. 2007;3(5):587-603.
7. Piepoli M Hoes A Agewall S Albus S Brotons C Catapano A et al. 2016 European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: The Sixth Joint Task Force of the European Society of Cardiology and Other Societies on Cardiovascular Disease Prevention in Clinical Practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts)Developed with the special contribution of the European Association for Cardiovascular Prevention & Rehabilitation (EACPR). Eur Heart J. 2016;37(29):2315-81.
8. Wilkins E Wilson L Wickramasinghe K Bhatnagar P Rayner M Townsend N. European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics. Brussels: European Heart Network; 2017. 192 p.
9. National Center of Public Health and Analysis. [National Program on prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases in Bulgaria (2014-2020)] [Internet]. Sofia; 2013 [cited 2017 Jun 6]. [about 46 p.]. Bulgarian. Available from: http://www.strategy.bg/StrategicDocuments/View.aspx?lang=bg-BG&Id=861.
10. Scottish Intercollegiate Guidelines Network. Risk estimation and the prevention of cardiovascular disease (A National clinical Guideline) [Internet]. Edinburgh; 2007 [cited 2017 Jun 14]. Available from: http://www.sign.ac.uk/assets/sign97.pdf
11. Manolova A Tsolova G Grigorova-Petrova K Gavrailova M Dimitrov P Petrova P. [Medical facts associated with physical activity – Project BG051PO001-5.3.3-0011C0001] [Internet]. 2011 [cited 2017 Jun 14]. Bulgarian. Available from: http://mpes.government.bg/Documents/PressCenter/News/nikoga_ne_kusno_22112011/Medical_facts.pdf
12. Ulusoy S. Assessment of cardiovascular risk in hypertensive patients: a comparasion of commonly used risk scoring programs. Kidney Int Suppl (2011). 2013;3(4):340-342.
13. National Vascular Disease Prevention Alliance. Guidelines for the Management of Absolute Cardiovascular Disease Risk. National Stroke Foundation; 2012. 124. p.
14. Paula EA Paula RB Costa DM Colugnati FA Paiva EP. Cardiovascular risk assessment in hypertensive patients. Rev Latino-Am Enfermagem. 2013;21(3):820-7.
15. Yotov Y. [Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk for developing Ischemic Heart Disease in Women] [dissertation]. Varna: Medical University - Varna; 2007. Bulgarian.
16. Hobbs FBR Jukema JW Da Silva PM McCormack T Catapano AL. Barriers to cardiovascular disease risk scoring and primary prevention in Europe. QJM. 2010;103(10):727-39.
17. Mortensen MB Falk E. Limitation of the SCORE-guided European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention. Eur Heart J. 2017;38:2259-63.