Premature ejaculation (PE) is the most common sexual dysfunction in men, yet it is not well studied. Its frequency reaches 30% for men from 18 to 59 years of age in different countries. The aim of this article was to investigate the quality of sexual life in men with primary PE operated on with microsurgical penile denervation, using the Brief Male Sexual Functional Inventory (BMSFI). From September 2011 to March 2014, 22 patients were operated on with microsurgical penile denervation in the urology clinic of the University Hospital - Pleven and the Department of Urology at UMHAT Ruse AD. The mean result from the BMSFI in patients was 22 points preoperatively, indicating significant worsening of sexual function and quality of life in all five questionnaire domains. After surgery, the results increased to 28, 33 and 39 respectively, at 3, 6 and 12 months, respectively. Premature ejaculation not only leads to problems in controlling ejaculation but also worsens the overall sexual function and quality of life of patients.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Senol MG Sen B Karademir K Sen H Saraçoğlu M. The effect of male circumcision on pudendal evoked potentials and sexual satisfaction. Acta Neurol Belg. 2008;108(3):90-3.
2. Rosen RC. Sexual function assessment in the male: physiological and self-report measures. Int J Impot Res. 1998;10(2):59-63.
3. Alyaev YG Akhvlediani ND. [Comparing efficacy of selective penile denervation and circumcision for primary premature ejaculation]. Urologiia. 2016;(1 (supp)):60-4. Russian.
4. Dimitrov P Panchev P Simeonov P Vasilev V Georgiev M Yanev K. Prostate carcinoma – staging and possibilities for operative treatment. Medical science. 2008;2:51-5.
5. Kolev N Atanasov J Dunev V Stoykov B Kotsev R Vanov A et al. Open Retropubic and Robot-Assisted Radical Prostatectomy in Prostate Carcinoma: Advantages of Methods. Journal of Biomedical and Clinical Research. 2016;9(2):145-9.
6. David Prologo J Snyder LL Cherullo E Passalacqua M Pirasteh A Corn D. Percutaneous CT-guided cryoablation of the dorsal penile nerve for treatment of symptomatic premature ejaculation. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013;24(2):214-9.
7. Zhang GX Yu LP Bai WJ Wang XF. Selective resection of dorsal nerves of penis for premature ejaculation. Int J Androl. 2012;35(6):873-9.
8. Xin ZC Chung WS Choi YD Seong DH Choi YJ Choi HK. Penile sensitivity in patients with primary premature ejaculation. J Urol. 1996;156(3):979-81.
9. Bemelmans BL Hendrikx LB Koldewijn EL Lemmens WA Debruyne FM Meuleman EJ. Comparison of biothesiometry and neurourophysiological investigations for the clinical evaluation of patients with erectile dysfunction. J Urol. 1996;153(5):1483-6.
10. Vanden Broucke H Everaert K Peersman W Claes H Vanderschueren D Van Kampen M. Ejaculation latency times and their relationship to penile sensitivity in men with normal sexual function. J Urol. 2007 Jan;177(1):237-40.