This paper considers the problem of orthogonal polynomial approximation based balanced truncation for a lowpass filter. The proposed method combines the system properties of balanced truncation, the computational effectiveness of proper orthogonal decomposition and the approximation capability of the orthogonal polynomials approximation. Orthogonal polynomials series expansion of the reachability and observability gramians is used in order to avoid solving large-scale Lyapunov equations and thus, significantly reducing the computational effort for obtaining the balancing transformation. The proposed method is applied for model reduction of a lowpass analog filter. Different sets of orthonormal functions are obtained from Legendre, Laguerre and Chebyshev orthogonal polynomials and the corresponding reduced order models are compared. The approximation precision is measured by the relative mean square error between the outputs of the full order model and the obtained reduced order models.
1. Abramowitz, M., I. Stegun, Edts. Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs and Mathematical Tables. N.Y., Dover Publ., 1972.
2. Amghayrir, A., N. Tanguy, P. Brehonnet, P. Vilbe, L. Calvez. Laguerre-based reduced-order Modeling. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 50, 2005, No. 9, 1432-1435.
3. Antoulas, A. Approximation of Large-scale Dynamical Systems. Philadelphia, SIAM Publ., 2005.
4. Dahlquist, G., A. Bjoerck. Numerical Methods. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, 1974.
5. Dastjerdi, H., F. Ghaini. Numerical Solution of Volterra - Fredholm Integral Equations by Moving Least Squares Method and Chebyshev Polynomials. - Appl. Math. Model., 36, 2012, 3283-3288.
6. Eid, R., B. Lohmann. Moment Matching Model Order Reduction in Time Domain via Laguerre Series. Proceedings of the17th World Congress of IFAC, Seoul, 2008, 3198-3203.
7. Eid, R., B. Salimbahrami, B. Lohmann. Equivalence of Laguerre - Based Model Order Reduction and Moment Matching. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 52, 2007, No. 6, 1104-1108.
8. El-Kady, M., N. El-Sawy. Legendre Coefficients Method for Linear-Quadratic Optimal Control Problems by Using Genetic Algorthms. - Int. J. Appl. Math. Research, 2, 2013, No. 1, 140-150.
9. Li, L., S. Billings. Continuous-time System Identification Using Shifted Chebyshev Polynomials. - Internat. J. Systems Sci., 32, 2001, No. 3, 303-306.
10. Maleknejad, K., S. Sohrabi, Y. Rostami. Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Volterra Integral Equations of the Second Kind by Using Chebyshev Polynomials. - Appl. Math. Comput., 188, 2007, 123-128.
11. Moore, B. Principal Component Analysis in Linear Systems: Controllability, Observability and Model Reduction. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, AC-26, 1981, No. 1, 17-32.
12. Nagurka, M., S. Wang. A Chebyshev-based State Representation for Linear Quadratic Optimal Control. - J. Dyn. Syst. Meas. Control, 115, 1993, 1-6.
13. Paraskevopoulos, P. Legendre Series Approach to Identification and Analysis of Linear Systems. - IEEE Trans. Automat. Control, 30, 1985, No. 6, 585-589.
14. Paraskevopoulos, P. Chebyshev Series Approach to System Identification, Analysis and Optimal Control. - J. Franklin Inst., 316, 1983, 135-157.
15. Petkov, P., M. Konstantinov. Robust Control Systems. Analy- sis and Design with MATLAB, Sofia, ABC Technika, 2002 (in Bulgarian).
16. Schetzen, M. The Volterra and Wiener Theories of Nonlinear Systems. R. Krieger Publ. Corp., Malabar, 1989.
17. Shen, J. Efficient Spectral Galerkin Method I. Direct Solvers for the Second and Fourth Order Equations Using Legendre Polynomials. - SIAM J. Sci. Comput., 15, 1994, No. 6, 1489-1505.
18. Sirovitch, L. Turbulence and the Dynamics of Coherent Structures. Part I-II. - Quart. Appl. Math., 45, 1987, 561-590.
19. Slavov, T., N. Madjarov. Adaptive Multiple Model Algorithm for Control of Stochastic System with Orthogonal Models. - Inf. Techn. Control, 2006, No. 2, 22-32.
20. Zhou, Q., E. Davis. A Simplified Algorithm for Balanced Realization of Laguerre Network Models. Proceedings of the 39th Conference on Decision and Control, Sydney, 2000, 4636-4640.