Purpose. The aim of the study was to determine differences in anteroposterior spine curvatures between futsal players, soccer players, and non-training students. The results may contribute to the development of present-day knowledge of posturometry, and its implementation in training can help reduce the risk of body posture disorders in athletes. Methods. The examined group consisted of 48 athletes and 38 non-training college students. Body posture parameters were measured with the use of Posturometr-S. The normality of distribution was checked with the Shapiro-Wilk test, and the differences between the groups were measured with ANOVA and the Bonferroni post-hoc test. The level of statistical significance was set at p < 0.05. Results. The analysis of angle values revealed the widest and most similar measurements in the group of futsal players and soccer players. The analysis of variance proved statistically significant differences between the soccer players and futsal players (p = 0.003). The difference between the soccer players and non-training students was statistically significant. The highest γ angular value was measured in non-training students, followed by futsal players and soccer players. The statistical analysis revealed significant differences between the non-training students and futsal players, as well as non-training students and soccer players (p < 0.001). Conclusions. A complex assessment of athletes’ body posture is crucial in injury prevention. Training overloads may often lead to disorders of the organ of locomotion and affect the correct body posture in athletes. This, in turn, may result in pains and injuries.
1. Duarte R, Batalha N, Folgado H, Sampaio J. Effects of exercise duration and number of players in heart rate responses and technical skills during futsal small-sided games. Op Sports Sci J. 2009;2(1):37-41; doi:
4. Wolański P, Muracki J, Goliński D, Nosal J, Bakońska- Pacoń E, Murawska-Ciałowicz E. The intensity and energy expenditure of exertions, restitution speed, and rate of perceived exertion after tournament matches in Polish futsal players. Hum Mov. 2017;18(1):58-66; doi:
9. Michalczyk M, Kłapcińska B, Poprzęcki S, Jagosz S, Sadowska-Krępa E, Kimas E, et al. Assessment of aerobic capacity and speed of sprint players of the 1st and 4th football leagues [in Polish]. Wych Fiz Sport. 2010;54(1):13-19. www.uefa.com.
10. Souza RP, Alves JMVM, Gorla JI, Novaes G, Cabral SIC, Neves EB, et al. Characterization of the intensity of effort of blind athletes from the Brazilian Football 5-ASide national team. J Health Biol Sci. 2016;4(4):218-226; doi:
19. Cole AJ, Herring S, Stratton SA. The lumbar spine and sports. In: Cole AJ, Hering S (eds.), The low back pain handbook: a practical guide for the primary care clinician. Philadelphia: Hanley & Belfus; 1997; 87-100.
20. Ribeiro CZP, Akashi PMH, Sacco ICN, Pedrinelli A. Relationship between postural changes and injuries of the locomotor system in indoor soccer athletes. Rev Bras Med Esporte. 2003;9(2):98-103, doi:
21. Kowalski IM, Protasiewicz-Fałdowska H. Trunk measurements in the standing and sitting posture according to Evidence Based Medicine (EBM). J Spine Surg. 2013; 5(1):66-79.
22. Richter P, Hebgen E. Trigger points and kinematic muscle chains in osteopathy [in Polish]. Łódź: Galaktyka; 2010.
23. Śliwa W. Diagnostic-measuring device Posturometr-S, orthopaedic-prosthetic engineering [in Polish]. In: I Symposium IOP’97, 23-25 June 1997. Białystok; 259-264.
24. Rienzi E, Drust B, Reilly T, Carter JE, Martin A. Investigation of anthropometric and work-rate profiles of elite South American international soccer players. J Sports Med Phys Fitness. 2000;40:162-169.
25. Galy O, Zongo P, Chamari K, Chaouachi A, Michalak E, Dellal A, et al. Anthropometric and physiological characteristics of Melanesian futsal players: a first approach to talent identification in Oceania. Biol Sport. 2015; 32(2):135-141; doi:
32. Zeyland-Malawka E. Effects of prolonged sport training on the sagittal shape of the spine. Biol Sport. 1989; 6(Suppl. 3):255-260.
33. Wodecki P, Guigui P, Hanotel MC, Cardinne L, Deburge A. Sagittal alignment of the spine: comparison between football players and subjects without sports activities [in French]. Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot. 2002;88(4):328-336; doi: