The aim of this study was to compare the anatomical arrangements of the branches arising from the subclavian arteries in the domesticated rabbit and hare. The study was carried out on ten adult rabbits and ten adult European hares using the corrosion cast technique. After the euthanasia, the vascular network was perfused with saline. The arterial system of the entire body was injected by Batson’s corrosion casting kit No. 17. After polymerization of the medium, the maceration was carried out in KOH solution. The arrangement of the origins of the branches of the bilateral subclavian arteries were more variable in the hare. The number of branches arising from the subclavian artery were more regular in the rabbit on the right side and in the hare on the left side. In the rabbit, we found in two cases, the origins of the branches of the left subclavian artery from the aortic arch. The anatomical found between the rabbit and the hare may possibly be associated with their different ways of life.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Craigie, E. H., 1948: Bensley’s Practical Anatomy of the Rabbit. Blakiston Company, Philadelphia, 325-326.
2. Dugat, D., Rochat, M., Ritchey, J., Payton, M., 2011: Quantitative analysis of the intramedullary arterial supply of the feline tibia. Vet. Comp. Orthop. Traumatol., 24, 313-319.
3. Hossmann, K. A., 1998: Experimental models for the investigation of brain ischemia. Cardiovasc. Res., 39, 106-120.
4. Iwama, H., Akama, Y., Tase, C., 2000: Global brain ischemia produced by clamping left subclavian artery and bicarotid trunk in the rabbit. Am. J. Emerg. Med., 18, 31-35.
5. Mazensky, D., Danko, J., 2010: The importance of the origin of vertebral arteries in cerebral ischemia in rabbit. Anat. Sci. Int., 85, 102-104.
6. Nickel, R., Schummer, A., Seiferle, E., 1981: The Anatomy of the Domestic Mammals. The Circulatory System, the Skin, and the Cutaneous Organs of the Domestic Mammals. Verlag Paul Parey, Berlin, 72-77.
7. Popesko, P., Rajtova, V., Horak, J., 1990: Anatomic Atlas of Small Laboratory Animals I. 1st edn., Príroda, Bratislava, 67-78.
8. Popesko, P., Hajovska, B., Marvan, F., Komarek, V., Vrzgulova, M., 1992: Anatomy of Farm Animals. Príroda, Bratislava, 396-399.