The aim of this paper was to compare the level of origin of the renal arteries in the rabbit and hare. The study was carried out on ten adult rabbits and ten adult European hares using the corrosion cast technique. After the euthanasia, the vascular network was perfused with saline. Batson’s corrosion casting kit No. 17 was used as a casting medium. After polymerization of the medium, the maceration was carried out in KOH solution. We found variable levels of the origin of renal arteries in the rabbit, in the hare and between both species. In the rabbit, the right renal artery originated at the level of the second lumbar vertebra in 70 % of the cases and at the level of the first lumbar vertebra in 30 % of the cases, and the left-sided renal artery originated in 60 % of the cases at the level of the second lumbar vertebra and at the level of the third lumbar vertebra in 40 % of the cases. In the hare, the bilateral renal arteries originated at the level of the second lumbar vertebra. According to the results, it can be concluded that the origin level of the renal arteries from the abdominal aorta is more variable in the domesticated rabbit in comparison with the hare.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Douglas, C. G., Hossler, F. E., 1995: Vascular anatomy of the rabbit ureter. Anat. Rec., 242, 47-56.
2. Evan, A. P., Connors, B. A., Lingeman, J. E., Blomgren, P., Willis, L. R., 1996: Branching patterns of the renal artery of the pig. Anat. Rec., 246, 217-223.
3. Fernandez, F., Fernandez, G., Loske, A. M., 2009: Treatment time reduction using tandem shockwaves for lithotripsy: an in vivo study. J. Endourol., 23, 1247-1253.
4. Fuller, P. M., Huelke, D. F., 1973: Kidney vascular supply in rat, cat and dog. Acta Anat., 84, 516-522.
5. Groman, R. P., Bah, A., Berridge, B. R., Lees, G. E., 2004: Effects of serial ultrasound-guided renal biopsies on kidneys of healthy adolescent dogs. Vet. Radiol. Ultrasound., 45, 62-69.
6. Jain, R. K., Dhingra, L. D., Kumar, S., Sharma, D. N., 1985: Vascularization of kidneys in dogs (Canis familiaris). Indian J. Anim. Sci., 55, 406-409.
7. Kaouk, J. H., Gill, I. S., Desai, M. M., Banks, K. L., Raja, S. S., Skacel, M. et al., 2003: Laparoscopic anatrophic nephrolithotomy: feasibility study in a chronic porcine model. J. Urol., 169, 691.
8. Krause, W., 1884: The Anatomy of Rabbits. Processed in Topographical and Surgical Consideration (In German). Verlag von Wilhelm Engelmann, Leipzig, 258-263.
9. Mierzwa, J., 1975: The arterial system of kidneys in the rabbit. Folia Morphol., 34, 407-417.
10. Nejedlý, K., 1965: Biology and Systematic anatomy of Laboratory Animals (In Czech). SPN, Prague, 460-474.
11. Nowicki, W., Brudnicki, W., Iwanczyk, M., Jablonski, R., Skoczylas, B., 2010: Variation in Branches of the Abdominal Aorta in European Rabbit. EJPAU, 13, 10. http://www.ejpau.media.pl/volume13/issue4/art-10.html Accessed September 28, 2010.
12. Pereira-Sampaio, M. A., Favorito, L. A., Sampaio, F. J., 2004: Pig kidney: anatomical relationships between the intrarenal arteries and the kidney collecting system. Applied study for urological research and surgical training. J. Urol., 172, 2077-2081.
13. Pereira-Sampaio, M. A., Favorito, L. A., Henry, R. W., Sampaio, F. J., 2007: Proportional analysis of the pig kidney arterial segments. J. Endourol., 21, 784-788.
14. Pereira-Sampaio, M. A., Marques-Sampaio, B. P. S., Henry, R. W., Favorito, L. A., Sampaio, F. J. B., 2009: The dog kidney as experimental model in endourology: anatomic contribution. J. Endourol., 23, 989-993.
15. Popesko, P., Rajtova, V., Horak, J., 1990: Anatomic atlas of small laboratory animals I., 1st edn., Priroda, Bratislava, 255 pp.
16. Ramesh Rao, T., 2011: Aberrant renal arteries and its clinical significance: a case report. Int. J. Anat. Var., 4, 37-39.
17. Shalgum, A., Marques-Sampaio, B. P. S., Dafalla, A., Pereira-Sampaio, M. A., 2011: Anatomical relationship between the collecting system and the intrarenal arteries in the rabbit: contribution as an experimental model. Anat. Histol. Embryol., 41, 130-138.
18. Styn, N. R., Wheat, J. C., Hall, T. L., Roberts, W. W., 2010: Histotripsy of VX- 2 tumor implanted in a renal rabbit model. J. Endourol., 24, 1145-1150.
19. Šulla, I. J., Lukáč, I., Šulla, I., Maršala, M., 2013: Experimental model of spinal cord compression injury in minipigs: A behavioral and MRI study. In Proceedings of the Annual Meeting: Evolution of Neurosurgery, San Francisco, USA, October 19-23, 80.