Argulus sp., commonly referred to as fish lice, are crustacean ectoparasites of fishes. The hematophagous parasites attach to and feed off the integument of their hosts. Outbreaks of epizootics have been reported worldwide, causing mass mortalities and having serious economic implications for fish farms and culture efforts. Argulus fish lice may also serve as vectors of infectious diseases and as intermediate hosts of other parasites. Two native European species, A. foliaceus and A. coregoni, as well as the invasive Japanese fish louse A. japonicus, have previously been recorded in Slovakia. This study investigated samples collected at fish farms and culture sites of Common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.), Pike-perch (Sander lucioperca L.) and Brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis M.) in Eastern Slovakia, as well as samples collected from live fish imported to the Slovak Republic. A quantitative description of the of Argulus sp. was recorded from each locality. Samples from Common carp were identified as the invasive A. japonicus, and samples from Pike-perch and Brook trout were identified as A. foliaceus. Evidence of a mixed infection of Pike-perch with both A. foliaceus and A. japonicus was found in samples from Zemplínska Šírava, which was substantiated by electron microscopic examination. Morphometric characteristics were measured and averages and ranges produced for each species and sex.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Bush A. O. 1997: Parasitology meets ecology on its own terms: Margolis et al. revisited. J. Parasitol. 83 575—583.
2. Bykhovskaya-Pavlovskaya I. E. et al. 1964:Key to Parasites of Freshwater Fishes of the USSR. Israeli Program for Scientific Translations Jerusalem 694 pp.
3. Frimeth J. P. 1987: A survey of the parasites of nonanadromous and anadromous brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in the Tabusintac River New Brunswick Canada. Canadian Journal of Zoology 65 1354—1362.
4. Jafri S. I. H. Ahmed S. S. 1994: Some observations on mortality in major carps due to fish lice and their chemical control. Pakistan Journal of Zoology 26 274—276.
5. Kearn G. C. 2007: The Common fish louse — Argulus. In Leeches Lice and Lampreys: A Natural History of Skin and Gill Parasites of Fishes. Dordrecht The Netherlands Springer 237—264.
6. Lester R. J. G. Hayward C. J. 2006: Phylum Arthropoda. In Fish Diseases and Disorders. Volume 1: Protozoan and meta-zoan infections 2nd edn. UK King’s Lynn 466—565.
7. Menezes J. 1990: Rainbow trout culture failure in a small lake as a result of massive parasitosis related to careless fish introductions. Aquaculture 89 123—126.
8. Mikheev V. N. Pasternak A. F. Valtonen E. T. Lankinen Y. 2001: Spatial distribution and hatching of overwintered eggs of a fish ectoparasite Argulus coregoni (Crustacea: Branchiura). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms 46 123—128.
9. Moravec F. 2001: Checklist of the Metazoan Parasites of Fishes of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic (1873—2000). Prague Academia 168 pp.
10. Møller O. S. 2012:Argulus foliaceus. In Fish Parasites: Pathobiology and Protection Oxfordshire UK CABI 337–346.
11. Noga E. J. 2010:Fish Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment. Singapore Willey-Blackwell 2nd edn. 536 pp.
12. Northcott S. J. Lyndon A. R. Campbell A. D. 1997: An outbreak of freshwater fish lice Argulus foliaceus L. seriously affecting a Scottish stillwater fishery. Fish. Manag. Ecol. 4 73—75.
13. Pasternak A. F. Mikheev V. N. Valtonen E. T. 2000: Life history characteristics of Argulus foliaceus L. (Crustacea: Branchiura) populations in Central Finland. Annales Zoologici Fennici 37 25—35.
14. Pazooki J. Masoumian M. Yahyazadeh M. Abbasi J. 2007: Metazoan parasites from freshwater fishes of northwest Iran. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology 9 25—33.
15. Poulin R. 1999: Parasitism and shoal size in juvenile Sticklebacks: Conflicting selection pressures from different ecto-parasites? Ethology 105 959—968.
16. Rahman M. 1996: Effects of a freshwater fish parasite Argulus foliaceus Linn. infection on common carp Cyprinus carpio Linn. Bangladesh Journal of Zoology 24 57–63.
17. Rohlenová K. Morand S. Hyršl P. Tolarová S. Flajšhans M. Šimková A. 2011: Are fish immune systems really affected by parasites? An immunoecological study of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Parasites and Vectors 4 120.
18. Rushton-Mellor S. K. 1992: Discovery of the fish louse Argulus japonicus Thiele (Crustacea: Branchiura) in Britain. Aquacult. Res. 23 269—271.
19. Rushton-Mellor S. K. Boxshall G. A. 1994: The development sequence of Argulus foliaceus (Crustacea: Branchiura). Journal of Natural History 28 763—785.
20. Sahoo P. Hemaprasanth K. Kar B. Garnayak S. K. Mohanty J. 2012: Mixed infection of Argulus japonicus and Argulus siamensis (Branchiura Argulidae) in carps (Pisces Cyprinidae): loss estimation and a comparative invasive pattern study. Crustaceana 85 1449—1462.
21. Schram T. A. Iversen L. 2005:Argulus sp. (Crustacea: Branchiura) on cod Gadus morhua from Finmark northern Norway. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 85 81—86.
22. Soes D. M. Walker P. D. Kruijt D. B. 2010: The Japanese fish louse Argulus japonicus new for The Netherlands. Lauterbornia 70 11—17.
23. Suárez-Morales E. 2015: Chapter 29 − Class Maxillopoda. In James H. Thorp D. Rogers Ch. (Eds.): Thorp and Covich’s Freshwater Invertebrates 4th edn. Boston Academic Press 709—755.
24. Sures B. 2005: Effects of pollution on parasites and use of parasites in pollution monitoring. In Marine Parasitology Oxon UK Csiro Publishing. Available at http://www.parasite-journal.org or http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/parasite/2008153434.
25. Sures B. Knopf K. 2004: Individual and combined effects of cadmium and 33’44’5-pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB 126) on the humoral immune response in European eel (Anguilla anguilla) experimentally infected with larvae of Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda). Parasitology 128 445—454.
26. Swanepoel J. H. Avenant-Oldewage A. 1992: Comments on the morphology of the pre-oral spine in Argulus (Crustacea: Branchiura). J. Morphol. 212 155—162.
27. Taylor N. G. H. Sommerville C. Wootten R. 2005: A review of Argulus sp. occurring in UK freshwaters. Bristol UK Environment Agency 30 pp.
28. Wadeh H. Yang J. W. Li G. Q. 2007: Ultrastructure of Argulus japonicus Thiele 1900 (Crustacea: Branchiura) collected from Guangdong China. Parasitol. Res. 102 765—770.
29. Walker P. D. Harris J. E. Van der Velde G. Bonga S. E. W. 2008: Differential host utilisation by different life history stages of the fish ectoparasite Argulus foliaceus (Crustacea: Branchiura). Folia Parasitol. 55 141—149.
30. Walker P. D. Russon I. J. Haond Ch. Bonga S. E. W. 2011: Feeding in adult Argulus Japonicus Thiele 1900 (maxillopoda Branchiura) an ectoparasite on fish. Crustaceana 84 307—318.
31. Walker P. D. Flik G. Bonga S. E. W. 2004: The biology of parasites from the genus Argulus and a review of the interactions with its host. In Host-Parasite Interactions. Hampshire UK Taylor and Francis 110—135.
32. Žiliukiene V. Žiliukas V. Stankus S. 2012: Infestation of Argulusfoliaceus L. on fish fry reared in illuminated cages. Vet. Med. Zoot. 57 83—88.