Argulus sp., commonly referred to as fish lice, are crustacean ectoparasites of fishes. The hematophagous parasites attach to and feed off the integument of their hosts. Outbreaks of epizootics have been reported worldwide, causing mass mortalities and having serious economic implications for fish farms and culture efforts. Argulus fish lice may also serve as vectors of infectious diseases and as intermediate hosts of other parasites. Two native European species, A. foliaceus and A. coregoni, as well as the invasive Japanese fish louse A. japonicus, have previously been recorded in Slovakia. This study investigated samples collected at fish farms and culture sites of Common carp (Cyprinus carpio L.), Pike-perch (Sander lucioperca L.) and Brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis M.) in Eastern Slovakia, as well as samples collected from live fish imported to the Slovak Republic. A quantitative description of the of Argulus sp. was recorded from each locality. Samples from Common carp were identified as the invasive A. japonicus, and samples from Pike-perch and Brook trout were identified as A. foliaceus. Evidence of a mixed infection of Pike-perch with both A. foliaceus and A. japonicus was found in samples from Zemplínska Šírava, which was substantiated by electron microscopic examination. Morphometric characteristics were measured and averages and ranges produced for each species and sex.
1. Bush, A. O., 1997: Parasitology meets ecology on its own terms: Margolis et al. revisited. J. Parasitol., 83, 575—583.
2. Bykhovskaya-Pavlovskaya, I. E. et al., 1964:Key to Parasites of Freshwater Fishes of the USSR. Israeli Program for Scientific Translations, Jerusalem, 694 pp.
3. Frimeth, J. P., 1987: A survey of the parasites of nonanadromous and anadromous brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis) in the Tabusintac River, New Brunswick, Canada. Canadian Journal of Zoology, 65, 1354—1362.
4. Jafri, S. I. H., Ahmed, S. S., 1994: Some observations on mortality in major carps due to fish lice and their chemical control. Pakistan Journal of Zoology, 26, 274—276.
5. Kearn, G. C., 2007: The Common fish louse — Argulus. In Leeches, Lice and Lampreys: A Natural History of Skin and Gill Parasites of Fishes. Dordrecht, The Netherlands, Springer, 237—264.
6. Lester, R. J. G., Hayward, C. J., 2006: Phylum Arthropoda. In Fish Diseases and Disorders. Volume 1: Protozoan and meta-zoan infections, 2nd edn., UK, King’s Lynn, 466—565.
7. Menezes, J., 1990: Rainbow trout culture failure in a small lake as a result of massive parasitosis related to careless fish introductions. Aquaculture, 89, 123—126.
8. Mikheev, V. N., Pasternak, A. F., Valtonen, E. T., Lankinen, Y., 2001: Spatial distribution and hatching of overwintered eggs of a fish ectoparasite, Argulus coregoni (Crustacea: Branchiura). Diseases of Aquatic Organisms, 46, 123—128.
9. Moravec, F., 2001: Checklist of the Metazoan Parasites of Fishes of the Czech Republic and the Slovak Republic (1873—2000). Prague, Academia, 168 pp.
10. Møller, O. S., 2012:Argulus foliaceus. In Fish Parasites: Pathobiology and Protection, Oxfordshire, UK, CABI, 337–346.
11. Noga, E. J., 2010:Fish Diseases: Diagnosis and Treatment. Singapore, Willey-Blackwell, 2nd edn., 536 pp.
12. Northcott, S. J., Lyndon, A. R., Campbell, A. D., 1997: An outbreak of freshwater fish lice, Argulus foliaceus L., seriously affecting a Scottish stillwater fishery. Fish. Manag. Ecol., 4, 73—75.
13. Pasternak, A. F., Mikheev, V. N., Valtonen, E. T., 2000: Life history characteristics of Argulus foliaceus L. (Crustacea: Branchiura) populations in Central Finland. Annales Zoologici Fennici, 37, 25—35.
14. Pazooki, J., Masoumian, M., Yahyazadeh, M., Abbasi, J., 2007: Metazoan parasites from freshwater fishes of northwest Iran. Journal of Agricultural Science and Technology, 9, 25—33.
15. Poulin, R., 1999: Parasitism and shoal size in juvenile Sticklebacks: Conflicting selection pressures from different ecto-parasites? Ethology, 105, 959—968.
16. Rahman, M., 1996: Effects of a freshwater fish parasite, Argulus foliaceus Linn. infection on common carp, Cyprinus carpio Linn. Bangladesh Journal of Zoology, 24, 57–63.
17. Rohlenová, K., Morand, S., Hyršl, P., Tolarová, S., Flajšhans, M., Šimková, A., 2011: Are fish immune systems really affected by parasites? An immunoecological study of common carp (Cyprinus carpio). Parasites and Vectors, 4, 120.
18. Rushton-Mellor, S. K., 1992: Discovery of the fish louse, Argulus japonicus Thiele (Crustacea: Branchiura), in Britain. Aquacult. Res., 23, 269—271.
19. Rushton-Mellor, S. K., Boxshall, G. A., 1994: The development sequence of Argulus foliaceus (Crustacea: Branchiura). Journal of Natural History, 28, 763—785.
20. Sahoo, P., Hemaprasanth, K., Kar, B., Garnayak, S. K., Mohanty, J., 2012: Mixed infection of Argulus japonicus and Argulus siamensis (Branchiura, Argulidae) in carps (Pisces, Cyprinidae): loss estimation and a comparative invasive pattern study. Crustaceana, 85, 1449—1462.
21. Schram, T. A., Iversen, L., 2005:Argulus sp. (Crustacea: Branchiura) on cod, Gadus morhua from Finmark, northern Norway. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK, 85, 81—86.
22. Soes, D. M., Walker, P. D., Kruijt, D. B., 2010: The Japanese fish louse Argulus japonicus new for The Netherlands. Lauterbornia, 70, 11—17.
23. Suárez-Morales, E., 2015: Chapter 29 − Class Maxillopoda. In James, H., Thorp, D., Rogers, Ch. (Eds.): Thorp and Covich’s Freshwater Invertebrates, 4th edn., Boston, Academic Press, 709—755.
25. Sures, B., Knopf, K., 2004: Individual and combined effects of cadmium and 3,3’,4,4’,5-pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB 126) on the humoral immune response in European eel (Anguilla anguilla) experimentally infected with larvae of Anguillicola crassus (Nematoda). Parasitology, 128, 445—454.
26. Swanepoel, J. H., Avenant-Oldewage, A., 1992: Comments on the morphology of the pre-oral spine in Argulus (Crustacea: Branchiura). J. Morphol., 212, 155—162.
27. Taylor, N. G. H., Sommerville, C., Wootten, R., 2005: A review of Argulus sp. occurring in UK freshwaters. Bristol, UK, Environment Agency, 30 pp.
28. Wadeh, H., Yang, J. W., Li, G. Q., 2007: Ultrastructure of Argulus japonicus Thiele, 1900 (Crustacea: Branchiura) collected from Guangdong, China. Parasitol. Res., 102, 765—770.
29. Walker, P. D., Harris, J. E., Van der Velde, G., Bonga, S. E. W., 2008: Differential host utilisation by different life history stages of the fish ectoparasite Argulus foliaceus (Crustacea: Branchiura). Folia Parasitol., 55, 141—149.
30. Walker, P. D., Russon, I. J., Haond, Ch., Bonga, S. E. W., 2011: Feeding in adult Argulus Japonicus Thiele, 1900 (maxillopoda, Branchiura), an ectoparasite on fish. Crustaceana, 84, 307—318.
31. Walker, P. D., Flik, G., Bonga, S. E. W., 2004: The biology of parasites from the genus Argulus and a review of the interactions with its host. In Host-Parasite Interactions. Hampshire, UK, Taylor and Francis, 110—135.
32. Žiliukiene, V., Žiliukas, V., Stankus, S., 2012: Infestation of Argulusfoliaceus L. on fish fry reared in illuminated cages. Vet. Med. Zoot., 57, 83—88.