Giant cell tumor of bone is a histologically benign but locally aggressive osteolytic lesion, capable of spreading ‘benign’ metastases mainly to the lungs. Since its description as a separate entity, surgery has been the mainstay of treatment. Recently, target therapy has been introduced using denosumab – an inhibitor antibody for the receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa B ligand with dramatic eff ect on the natural course of the tumor. Herein, we report a rare case of an aggressive stage 3 giant cell tumor of bone of the proximal fibula that was successfully downstaged using neoadjuvant denosumab treatment and then treated by surgical excision followed by adjuvant target therapy. The clinical characteristics and treatment modalities of giant cell tumor of bone, the indications for target therapy, therapy response, and histological changes are also briefly discussed.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Georgiev GP Landzhov B Slavchev SA et al. Comparative electron microscopic and immunohistochemical study of stromal cells in giant cell tumor of bone. Scr Sci Medica 2013;45(1):19-22.
2. Van der Heijden L Dijkstra PDS van de Sande MAJ et al. The clinical approach toward giant cell tumor of bone. The Oncologist 2014;19(5):550-61.
3. Georgiev GP Slavchev S Dimitrova IN et al. Giant cell tumor of bone: current review of morphological clinical radiological and therapeutic characteristics. J Clin Exp Invest 2014;5(3):475-85.
4. Manfrini M. Giant cell tumor. In: Picci P Manfrini M Fabbri N Gambarotti M Vanel D eds. Atlas of musculoskeletal tumors and tumorlike lesions: The Rizzoli Case Archive. 1st ed. Cham Switzerland: Springer International Publishing; 2014:91-4.
5. Gaston CL Grimer RJ Parry M et al. Current status and unanswered questions on the use of denosumab in giant cell tumor of bone. Clin Sarcoma Res 2016;6(1):15.
6. Goldenberg MM. Pharmaceutical approval update. Pharm Ther 2013;38(8):443-5.
7. Georgiev GP. Clinico-morphological study of giant cell tumour of bone. [PhD thesis] Sofia Bulgaria Medical University of Sofia; 2014.
8. Dubory A Missenard G Domont J et al. Interest of denosumab for the treatment of giant-cells tumors and aneurysmal bone cysts of the spine. About nine cases. Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2016;41(11):E654-60.
9. Inoue A Ohnishi T Kohno S et al. Role of denosumab in endoscopic endonasal treatment for juvenile clival giant cell tumor: a case report and review of the literature. World Neurosurg 2016;91:674.e1-6.
10. Sanchez-Pareja A Larousserie F Boudabbous S et al. Giant cell tumor of bone with pseudosarcomatous changes leading to premature denosumab therapy interruption: a case report with review of the literature. Int J Surg Pathol 2016;24(4):366-72.