Background: Normal occlusal and articulation relations between the jaws ensure equal distribution of occlusal forces during mastication. A T-SCAN system allows these relations to be measured dynamically during the articulation cycle.
Aim: To evaluate the T-SCAN III system in measuring and assessing the forces of occlusal contacts and their digital presentation.
Patients and methods: Thirty students aged 19 - 22 years were examined. Of these only one matched the study criteria:
- intact dentition;
- without or with class I fillings in teeth 36 or 46;
- Angle’s class I jaw relation
We used a computerized occlusal analysis system T-SCAN in the study. It comes with a registering sensor for the occlusal contacts, a module for transmitting the signals to a computer, and conversion software to generate images on a computer screen.
Results: We evaluated the system’s capabilities in registering the occlusal contacts during mastication on an occlusion film and the occlusal forces using a digital display.
Conclusion: The T-SCAN system provides the only accurate way to determine and evaluate the time sequence and force of occlusal contacts by converting the qualitative data into quantitative and displaying them digitally.
1. Eliyas S, Martin N. The management of anterior tooth wear using gold palatal veneers in canine guidance. Br Dent J 2013;214(6):291-7.
2. Carey J, Craig M, Kerstein RB, et al. Determining a relationship between applied occlusal load and articulation paper mark area. The Open Dentistry Journal 2007;1:1-7.
3. Saad MN, Weiner, Ehrenberg D, et al. Effects of load and indicator type upon occlusal contact markings. J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater 2008;85(1):18-22.
4. Millstein P, Maya A. An evaluation of occlusal contact marking indicators. A descriptive quantitative method. J Am Dent Assoc 2001;132(9):1280-6.
5. Qadeer S, Kerstein R, Kim RJ, et al. Relationship between articulation paper mark size and percentage of force measured with computerized occlusal analysis. J Adv Prosthodont 2012;4(1):7-12.
6. Yamamura M, Takahashi A, Aoki H, et al. [A study on display and accuracy of occlusal contacts by means of T-Scan system.] Kanagawa Shigaku 1990;25(2):236-241 [Japanese].
7. Lyons MF, Sharkey SW, Lamey PJ. An evaluation of the T-Scan computerised occlusal analysis system. Int J Prosthodont 1992;5(2):166.
8. Kalachev Y. Occlusal pressure and strain in the periodontium - analysis and recommendations for clinical use [dissertation] Faculty of Dental Medicine, Medical University, Plovdiv; 2003 (Bulgarian).
9. Throckmorton GS, Rasmussen J, Caloss R. Calibration of T-Scan® sensors for recording bite forces in denture patients. J Oral Rehabil 2009;36(9):636-43.
10. Gözler S, Vanlioglu B, Evren B, Gözneli R, Yildiz C, Özkan YK. The effect of temporary hydrostatic splint on occlusion with computerized occlusal analysis system. Indian J Dent Res 2012;23(5):617-22.
11. Kerstein RB. Current applications of computerized occlusal analysis in dental medicine. Gen Dent 2001;49(5):521-30.
12. Afrashtehfar KI, Akanksha Srivastava BD, Esfandiari S. A Health Technology Assessment Report on the Utility of Digital Occlusal Analyzer System T-Scan® in Temporomandibular Disorders. 2013.
13. Kerstein RB, Thumati P, Padmaja S. Force Finishing and Centering to Balance a Removable Complete Denture Prosthesis Using the T-Scan III Computerized Occlusal Analysis System. J Indian Prosthodont Soc 2013;13(3):184-8.
14. Koos B, Godt A, Schille C, et al. Precision of an instrumentation-based method of analyzing occlusion and its resulting distribution of forces in the dental arch. J Orofac Orthop 2010;71(6):403-10.
15. Korioth TW. Number and location of occlusal contacts in intercuspal position. J Prosthet Dent 1990;64(2):206-10.
16. Koos B, Godt A, Schille C, et al. Precision of an instrumentation-based method of analyzing occlusion and its resulting distribution of forces in the dental arch. J Orofac Orthop 2010;71(6):403-10.
17. Kerstein RB, Radke J. Masseter and temporalis excursive hyperactivity decreased by measured anterior guidance development. Cranio 2012;30(4):243-54.
18. Mahony D. Refi ning occlusion with muscle balance to enhance long-term orthodontic stability. J Clin Pediatr Dent 2005;29(2):93-8.
19. Sidana V, Pasricha N, Makkar M, et al. Computerized Occlusal Analysis. Indian Journal of Dental Sciences 2013;5(2):141-4.