Laparoscopic resections of the pancreas have gained in popularity in the last few years. Those preserving the integrity of the spleen are performed very rarely and are a challenge for every surgeon. We hereby report a case of laparoscopic resection of the pancreatic tail with preservation of the spleen and the integrity and the blood supply to the spleen in a 26 year-old patient with a large pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas. Postoperative recovery was quick and without complications. The functional and aesthetic result was satisfactory. Laparoscopic resection of the pancreas is a safe and effective therapeutic procedure in selected patients
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Uchida H, Goto C, Kishimoto H, Kawashima H, Sato K, Yoshida M, Takazawa S. Laparoscopic spleen-preserving distal pancreatectomy for solid pseudopapillary tumor with conservation of splenic vessels in a child. J Pediatr Surg 2010;45(7):1525-9.
2. Madjov R, Gaidarski R, et al. Solid-pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas. Tumor of Gruber-Frantz. Hirurgia 2010;1:59-62 (in Bulgarian).
3. Uranues S, Alimoglu O, Todoric B, et al. Laparoscopic resection of the pancreatic tail with splenic preservation. Am J Surg 2006;192(2):257-61.
4. Sokolov YY, Stonogin SV, Donskoy DV, Povarnin OY, Vilesov AV. Laparoscopic pancreatic resections for solid pseudopapillary tumor in children. Eur J Pediatr Surg 2009;19(6):399-401.
5. Kooby DA, Hawkins WG, Schmidt CM, et al. A multicenter analysis of distal pancreatectomy for adenocarcinoma: is laparoscopic resection appropriate? J Am Coll Surg 2010;210(5):779-85.
6. Vladov N. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy. 17th National Conference of Surgery;2012 Oct 11-14; Varna, Bulgaria, p. 26.
7. Frantz VK. Tumors of the pancreas. In: Blumberg CW, editor. Atlas of tumor pathology. Washington, DC: Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; 1959:p. 32-3.
8. Kloppel G, Solcia E, Longnecker DS, Capella C, Sobin LH. World Health Organization: Institutional histological classifi cation of tumors-histological typing of tumors of the exocrine pancreas, 2nd ed. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1996.
9. Peng C, Chen D, Zhou G, et al. The solid-pseudopapillary tumor of pancreas: the clinical characteristics and surgical treatment. J Surg Res 2006;131(2):276-82.
10. Lakhtakia R, Al-Wahaibi K, Zahid KF, Malik KA, Burney IA. Solid pseudopapillary neoplasm of the pancreas: a case report with review of the diagnostic dilemmas and tumor behavior. Oman Med J 2013;28(6):441-4.
11. Warshaw AL. Conservation of the spleen with distal pancreatectomy. Arch Surg 1988;123:550-3.
12. Fernandez-Cruz L, Martinez I, Gilabert R, et al. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy combined with preservation of the spleen for cystic neoplasms of the pancreas. J Gastrointest Surg 2004;8:493-501.
13. Melotti G, Butturini G, Piccoli M, et al. Laparoscopic distal pancreatectomy: results on a consecutive series of 58 patients. Ann Surg 2007;246:77-82.
14. Baker MS, Bentrem DJ, Ujik MB, et all. A prospective single institution comparison of peri-operative outcomes for laparoscopic and open distal pancreatectomy. Surgery 2009;146(4):635-45.