The AIM of this study was to analyse the results of the surgery and compare the outcomes of unicondylar knee arthroplasty and high tibial osteotomy performed in isolated gonarthrosis. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Between 2007 and 2011, 65 patients were implanted a partial knee endo-prosthesis in the Clinic of Orthopedics and Traumatology. Men were 23 (35.4%) and women were 42 (64.6%). High tibial osteotomy was performed to manage the unicompartmental gonarthrosis in 92 patients (47 men and 45 women) for 13 years between 1975 and 1987. These two modalities were used only in cases in which one of the knee joint compartments was affected. Clinical, para-clinical, functional tests and radiographic examination were conducted of the affected knee joint. RESULTS: The results of the study were assessed by the rating system proposed by the Knee Society and modified by John Insall. At four-year follow-up study the outcomes of the partial prosthesis were assessed as excellent in 85.13%, good - in 13.11% and satisfactory in 1.77% of patients. After high tibial osteotomy the results were considered very good in 54.18% of patients, good - in 32.29%, satisfactory - in 6.25%, and poor - in 7.8%. CONCLUSIONS: Partial knee arthroplasty is a resurfacing procedure, while high tibial osteotomy is used only to slow the overall degenerative process with gradual progressive exacerbation of osteoarthritis with age. The results after prosthetic treatment had a better dynamics than that in high tibial osteotomy
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Reichenbach S Sterchi R Scherer M et al. Metaanalysis: chondroitin for osteoarthritis of the knee or hip. Ann Intern Med 2007;146:580-90.
2. Stavrev V. Osteoarthrosis of the knee (gonarthrosis) in orthopedics for medical students. Plovdiv: Inteldesign;2013:150-2.
3. Dettoni F Bonasia DE Castoldi F et al. High tibial osteotomy versus unicompartmental knee arthroplasty for medial compartment arthrosis of the knee: a review of the literature. Iowa Orthop J 2010;30:131-40.
4. Amendola A Bonasia DE. Results of high tibial osteotomy: review of the literature. Int Orthop 2010;34(2):155-60.
5. Stavrev V Dimov S Stavrev P et al. Late results after high tibial osteotomy for the treatment of varus gonarthrosis. 59th International Annual Meeting of the Hellenic Association of Orthopedic Surgery and traumatology. 15-19 October 2003;Athens: Greece. Abstract Book p. 60.
6. Jamali AA Scott RD Rubash HE et al. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: past present and future. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 2009;38(1):17-23.
7. Volpin G. Unicompartmental knee replacement for localized osteoarthritis of the medial or lateral compartment. Isr Med Assoc J 2009;11(5):308-10.
8. Grffi n T Rowden N Morgan D et al. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty for the treatment of unicompartmental osteoarthritis: a systematic study. ANZ J Surg 2007;77(4):214-21.
9. Borus T Thornhill T. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2008;16(1):9.
10. Berger RA Della Valle CJ. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty: indications techniques and results. Instr Course Lect 2010;59:47-56.
11. Karamitev S Stavrev B Chifi garov A. Unicondylar knee endoprostheses as an alternative to high tibial valgus osteotomy. Orthop Trauma 2010;3-4:120-3 (Bulgarian).
12. Karamitev S Stavrev B Chifi garov A. Partial unicondylar knee endoprosthesis - a method of choice in patients with unicompartmental osteoarthrosis of the knee joint. Orthop Trauma 2012;4:155-61 (Bulgarian).
13. Jacobs C Christensen Ch. Correlations between knee society function scores and functional force measures. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2009;467:2414-9.
14. Petersson I T. Boegard T Saxne T Silman A Svensson B. Radiographic osteoarthritis of the knee classifi ed by the Ahlbäck and Kellgren & Lawrence systems for the tibiofemoral joint in people aged 35-54 years with chronic knee pain. Ann Rheum Dis 1997;56(8):493-6.
15. Emerson RH Higgins LL. Unicompartmental knee arthroplasty with the Oxford prosthesis in patients with medial compartment arthritis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 2008;90:118-22.
16. Salvi AE Alia T. Von Langenbeck’s medial parapatellar approach for unicompartmental knee arthroplasty. Orthopedics 2009;32(7):470.
17. Zhang Q Liu ZH Cheng LM et al. Meta-analysis of unicompartmental knee arthroplasty versus high tibial osteotomy in the treatment of unicompartmental knee osteoarthritis. Zhonghua Yi Xue Za Zhi 2009;89(39):2768-72.
18. Koskinen E Paavolainen P Eskelinen A et al. Unicondylar knee replacement for primary osteoarthritis: a prospective follow-up study of 1819 patients from the Finnish Arthroplasty Register. Acta Orthop 2007;78(1):128-35.
19. Cartier P Khefacha A Sanouiller JL et al. Unicondylar knee arthroplasty in middle-aged patients: a minimum 5-year follow-up. Orthopedics 2007;30 (8 Suppl):62-5.