Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) in the Arab World are still in their infancy. Many Arab countries are now starting to launch their MOOC platforms; however, there are only a few who have actually implemented such systems. This paper will explore online learning, in particular the rise of MOOCs around the world and their impact on the Arab World.
The purpose of this paper is to give a true picture of the development of the first MOOC platforms in the Arab World. It will analyse in detail the concept, definitions, background, and types of MOOCs (xMOOCs and cMOOCs), as well as the main MOOCs platform in the Western and Arab worlds, and a timeline of the development of MOOCs. It will then observe the status of MOOCs in the developed world, opportunities in the Middle East, and the influence of Western MOOCs on the Arab world, from many perspectives, e.g. educational, religious, cultural and social.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Alexander, S. (2001). E-learning developments and experiences. In Education & Training, 43, (pp. 240-248).
2. An-Najah National University (2014). Press conference: launching the first free English language online course, ‘Discover Palestine’. Available: http://www.najah.edu/node/33505 [Accessed 10-10-2014].
15. Eisenberg, M. and Fischer, G. (2014). MOOCs: A perspective from the learning sciences. Presented at the Learning and Becoming in Practice: 11th International Conference of the Learning Sciences (ICLS).
16. Epelboin, Y. (2013). MOOC in Europe. UPMC-Sorbonne Université.
36. Siemens, G. and Baker, R.S.J.D. (2012). Learning analytics and educational data mining: towards communication and collaboration. In the Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on learning analytics and knowledge, 2012, (pp. 252-254). ACM.
37. Subbian, V. (2013). Role of MOOCs in integrated STEM education: A learning perspective. In the proceedings of Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), 2013 IEEE, 9 March 2013, (pp. 1-4).
38. Taneja, S., and A. Goel. (2014). MOOC providers and their strategies. In International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing, 3(5), (pp. 222-228).