Current development of rural areas of Slovakia is not fully reflecting the measures taken at the level of the European Union. Contrary, the differences between the territories seem to be deepening. When analysing the critical factors, job creation together with unemployment seem to be among the most pressing ones. The academics believe that the local entrepreneurship and development of small and medium size enterprises (SME) in rural areas have significant impact on accelerating the development of these communities, yet, only limited measures are taken to support them. Therefore, the main objective of the paper is to analyze the institutional framework for support of local SME within implementation of the LEADER approach as a direct instrument of the rural development policy. The emphasis was put on the last programming period (2007 – 2013) and the conditions set for the current programming period (2014 – 2020).
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. ANSARI B. – MIRDAMADI S. M. – ZAND A. – ARFAEE M. 2013. Sustainable Entrepreneurship in Rural Areas. In Research Journal of Environmental and Earth Sciences vol. 5 no.1 pp. 26–31. ISSN: 2041–0484.
2. BAKOVÁ E. 2016. LEADER 2007 – 2013 [PowerPoint slides] Lecture presented at Case study 2016 in Nitra Slovakia on 2016 – 07 – 14.
3. BALCERZAK A. P. PIETRZAK M. B. 2016. Quality of Institutions for Knowledge–based Economy within New Institutional Economics Framework. Multiple Criteria Decision Analysis for European Countries in the Years 2000–2013. In Economics and Sociology vol. 9 no. 4 pp. 66–81. DOI: 10.14254/2071–789X.2016/9–4/4.
4. COMMISSION IMPLEMENTING REGULATION (EU) No 808/2014 of 17 July 2014 laying down rules for the application of Regulation (EU) No 1305/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD).
5. COUNCIL REGULATION (EC) No 1698/2005 of 20 September 2005 on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) – <http://eur–lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2005:277:0001:0040:EN:PDF>
6. DARGAN L. SHUCKSMITH M. 2008. LEADER and innovation. In Sociologia Ruralis vol. 48 no. 3 pp. 274–291.
7. EUROPEAN COMMISSION. 2012. Synthesis of Mid–Term Evaluations of Rural Development Programmes 2007–2013 – Final Report. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26] Available at: <https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/sites/agriculture/files/evaluation/rural–development–reports/2012/synthesis–mte–2007–2013/fulltext_en.pdf>.
8. EUROPEAN COMMISSION. 2013. Factsheet on 2014–2020 Rural Development Programme for Slovakia. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26] Available at: <https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/sites/agriculture/files/rural–development–2014–2020/country–files/sk/factsheet_en.pdf>.
9. EUROPEAN COMMISSION. 2014. Investment Support under Rural Development Policy – Final Report. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26] Available at: <https://ec.europa.eu/agriculture/sites/agriculture/files/evaluation/rural–development–reports/2014/investment–support–rdp/fulltext_en.pdf>.
10. EUROPEAN COMMISSION. 2015. Synthesis of Ex–Ante Evaluations of Rural Development Programmes 2014–2020. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26] Available at: <https://ec.europa.eu/agriculturesites/agriculture/files/evaluation/rural–development–reports/2015/ex_ante_rdp_synthesis_2014_2020/fulltext_en.pdf>.
11. EUROPEAN UNION. 2012. The Common Agricultural Policy – A Story to be Continued. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union. 20 p. doi:10.2762/35894.
12. FAGGIO G. SILVA O. 2014. Self–employment and entrepreneurship in urban and rural labour markets. In Journal of Urban Economics vol. 84 pp. 67–85. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jue.2014.09.001.
13. FOSS N.J. KLEIN P. 2012. Organizing Entrepreneurial Judgment: A New Approach to the Firm Cambridge University Press Cambridge.
14. GADDEFORS J. CRONSELL N. 2009. Returnees and local stakeholders co–producing the entrepreneurial region. In European Planning Studies vol. 17 no. 8 pp. 1191–1203.
15. GLÜCKLER J. LENZ R. 2016. How institutions moderate the effectiveness of regional policy: A framework and research agenda. In Investigaciones Regionales – Journal of Regional Research vol. 36 pp. 255–277.
16. HJALAGER A. NIELSEN N. Ch. SIMON C. 2013. Promoting and Empowering Small and Medium Sized Enterprises in Rural Areas. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26]. Available at: <http://www.vitalruralarea.eu/scientific–articles/237–promoting–and–empowering–small–and–medium–sized–enterprises–in–rural–areas>.
17. HUDSON R. 2010. Resilient regions in an uncertain world: wishful thinking or a practical reality? In Cambridge Journal of Regions Economy and Society vol. 3 no. 1 pp. 11–25.
19. JOHANNISSON B. — DAHLSTRAND A. L. 2009. Bridging the functional and territorial rationales: proposing an integrating framework for regional dynamics. In European Planning Studies vol. 17 no. 8 pp. 1117–1133.
20. KORSGAARD S. — MÜLLER S. — WITTORFF TANVIG H. 2015. Rural entrepreneurship or entrepreneurship in the rural – between place and space. In International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research vol. 21 no. 1 pp. 5–26. DOI 10.1108/IJEBR–11–2013–0205.
21. KUTSCHERAUER at al. 2010. Regional Disparities – Disparities in country regional development – concept theory identification and assessment. Ostrava: Technical University of Ostrava. 120 p.
22. MAIA L. 2002. Enhancing entrepreneurship in rural tourism for sustainable regional development: The Case of Soderslatt Region Sweden. The International Institute for Industrial Environmental Economics (IIIEE) International Miljo Institute Sweden.
23. MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE AND RURAL DEVELOPMENT SR. 2016. Systém riadenia CLLD (LEADER a komunitný rozvoj) pre programové obdobie 2014–2020 v znení dodatku č.1 a č.2. [online] [cit. 2017–10–26]. Available at: <http://www.mpsr.sk/sk/index.php?navID=81&id=10475>.
24. OECD. 2002. Geographic Concentrations and Territorial Disparity in OECD Countries. Paris: OECD Publications Service.
25. OECD. 2017. Understanding the Socio–Economic Divide in Europe. Paris: OECD Publications Service.
26. REGULATION (EU) No 1303/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 December 2013 laying down common provisions on the European Structural and Investment funds and repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 1083/2006.
27. REGULATION (EU) No 1305/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 december 2013 on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 1698/2005.
28. REGULATION (EU) No 1306/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 December 2013 on the financing management and monitoring of the common agricultural policy and repealing Council Regulations (EEC) No 352/78 (EC) No 165/94 (EC) No 2799/98 (EC) No 814/2000 (EC) No 1290/2005 and (EC) No 485/2008.
29. REGULATION (EU) No 1310/2013 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 17 December 2013 laying down certain transitional provisions on support for rural development by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) amending Regulation (EU) No. 1305/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council.
30. MINISTRY OF AGRICULTURE SR. 2007. Rural Development Programme of the Slovak Republic 2007 – 2013.
31. SOLIVA R. 2007. Landscape stories: using ideal type narratives as a heuristic device in rural studies. In Journal of Rural Studies vol. 23 no. 1 pp. 62–74.
32. THUESEN A. NIELSEN N.C. 2011. Merværdien af LEADER–metoden. Esbjerg: SDU. Center for Landdistriktsforskning.
33. VORAUER K. 1997. Europäische Regionalpolitik Regionale Disparitäten. Theoretische Fundierung empirische Befunde und politische Entwürfe. Passau: Münchener Geographische Hefte. ISBN 3–932820–01.
34. WISHLADE F. YOUILL D. 1997. Measuring Disparities for Area Designation Purposes: Issues for the European Union. In Regional and Industrial Policy Research Paper no. 24. Glasgow: University of Strathclyde.