The paper reviews the achievements to date in legal approximation in the sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) field in Ukraine. Effective regulatory approximation in the SPS field was critical to anchoring the reform process in Ukraine and to fostering further progress in EU’s relations with this Eastern Partnership (EaP) country. This paper highlights three major problems in Ukraine that were hindering reform in the SPS field: inconsistency between Ukrainian and EU food safety legislation, lack of uniformity between animal health law regimes, absence of a single SPS regulator. Legal implementation of approximated legislation still remains as key challenge. The paper offers recommendations to improve the Ukraine’s approach so that the Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA) is part of the Association Agreement (AA) between the EU and the Republic of Ukraine could fulfill its potential.
1. Agreement between the European Community and the Swiss Confederation on trade in agricultural products - Final Act -Joint Declarations - Information relating to the entry into force of the seven Agreements with the Swiss Confederation in the sectors free movement of persons, air and land transport, public procurement, scientific and technological cooperation, mutual recognition in relation to conformity assessment, and trade in agricultural products OJ L 114, 30.4.2002, p. 132-368 (ES, DA, DE, EL, EN, FR, IT, NL, PT, FI, SV).
2. Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures, 1867 U.N.T,S. 493.
3. Association Agreement between the European Union and its Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, of the other part OJ L 161, 29.5.2014, p. 3-2137 (BG, ES, CS, DA, DE, ET, EL, EN, FR, HR, IT, LV, LT, HU, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SK, SL, FI, SV).
4. Decision of the Council and of the Commission concerning the scientific and technological cooperation Agreement of 4 April 2002 relating to the conclusion of seven agreements with the Swiss Confederation; OJ L114 of 30/04/2002, p.1.
5. EMERSON, M., 2014: Trade policy issues in the Wider Europe-that led to war and not yet to peace. In CEPS Working Documents, no. 398. ISBN 978-94-6138-408.
6. Final Act between the European Union and the European Atomic Energy Community and their Member States, of the one part, and Ukraine, of the other part, as regards the Association Agreement OJ L 278, 20.9.2014, p. 4-5 (BG, ES, CS, DA, DE, ET, EL, EN, FR, HR, IT, LV, LT, HU, MT, NL, PL, PT, RO, SK, SL, FI, SV).
7. LANGBEIN, J., 2014: European Union Governance towards the Eastern Neighborhood: Transcending or Redrawing Europe's East-West Divide? In JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies, vol. 52, no. 1, pp. 157-174.
8. MOVCHAN, V. et al., 2014: Russia's Punitive Trade Policy Measures towards Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia. In CEPS Working Documents, no. 400. ISBN 978-94-6138-414-0.
9. RAU, M.-L., 2014: Conquering the EU market with new comprehensive trade agreements - Simulating DCFTAs between the EU and neighbour countries. In EAAE 2014 Congress Agri-Food and Rural Innovations for Healthier Societies. Ljubljana: Biotechnical faculty of University of Ljubljana and Slovene Association of Agricultural Economists, pp. [Retrieved 201410-19]. Cited from: https://www.conftool.pro/eaae2014/index. php?page=browseSessions&print=head&abstracts=show&fo rm_session=42
10. Règlement (CE) n° 854/2004 du Parlement européen et du Conseil du 29 avril 2004 fixant les règles spécifiques d'organisation des contrôles officiels concernant les produits d'origine animale destinés à la consommation humaine. OJ L 139, 30.4.2004, p. 206-320 (ES, DA, DE, EN, IT, PT, FI, SV) OJ L 139, 30.4.2004, p. 206-321 (EL) OJ L 139, 30.4.2004, p. 206-319 (FR) OJ L 139, 30.4.2004, p. 206-318 (NL)
11. RUSETSKA, U., 2014: How could agricultural trade between Ukraine and the EU benefit from institutional harmonization? - A Regression Discontinuity Approach. Uppsala: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Economics. Thesis No 863. ISSN 1401-4084. Cited from http://stud.epsilon. slu.se/7000/1/Rusetska_U_140710.pdf
12. WOLCZUK, K., 2014: Ukraine and the EU: Turning the Association Agreement into a Success Story. In European Policy Centre