Unfavorable environmental issues raise attention globally toward the concept of sustainability. Agriculture is not only a sector influenced greatly by environmental conditions, but at the same time, as the most important utilizer of land, a major shaper of the environmental conditions. When forming agricultural policies special attention should be paid to issues such as climate change, scarcity of fresh water, food shortage and biodiversity loss — just to name some of them. The new European general strategy for the upcoming 7 years period has brought new measures for the agricultural policy as well, environment and sustainability being among the top issues.
1. FAO (2008) Coping with water scarcity-An action framework for agriculture and food security, Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations, Rome 2012, pp 100.
2. Parson, E. A. - Haas P. M. and Levy M. A. (1992): A summary of major documents signed at the earth summit and the global forum. Environment 34 (4): 12-15, 34-36.
3. Randers, J.: What was the message of the Limits to Growth? -what did this little book from 1972 really say about the global future? Club of Rome, 2010. pp 12.
4. Rosegrant M. W. - Koo J. - Cenacchi N. - Ringler C. - Robertson R. - Fisher M. - Cox C. - Garrett K. - Perez N. D., Sabbagh P. (2014) : Food security in a world of natural resource scarcity - the role of agricultural technologies; International Food Policy Research Institute, Washington, USA
5. IPCC, 2013: Summary for Policymakers. In: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Stocker, T. F. - D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor - S. K. Allen - J. Boschung - A. Nauels - Y. Xia - V. Bex and P. M. Midgley (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
6. Lovas K. - Kis-Kovács G. (2011): A mezógazdaság üvegházhatású gáz kibocsátása. Országos Meteorológiai Szolgálat Üvegházgáz-nyilvántartási Osztály, 2011.
7. Matthews A. (2012) Greening the CAP: the way forward. Paper prepared for the 126th EAAE Seminar, Capri, Italy June 27-29, 2012. downloaded 2014.07.13.: https://docs.google.com/ file/d/0B6KoZ_bJBQHYSUZTOFZfWkhxeVU/edit
8. Meadows D. - Meadows D. H. - Randers J. - Behrens W. W.: The Limits to Grow - A report for the Club of Rome's project on the predicament of mankind (1972), Universe Books, New York, 1972.
9. United Nations, Human Development Report 2006, UNDP 2006.
10. Europe 2020, an European strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth - communicatrion from the Commission (2010), European Commission, Brussels 3.3.2010 COM (2010) 2020.
11. Regulation (EU) No 1307/2013 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 17 december 2013 - establishing the rules for direct payments to farmers under support schemes within the framework of the common agricultural policy and repealing Council Regulation (EC) No 637/2008 and Council Regulation (EC) No 73/2009 - donwloaded 2014. July 10 from website - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do? uri=OJ:L:2013:347:0608:0670:EN:PDF
12. Wildlife Trust webpage and discussion on the possible effect of the greening of the CAP . donwloaded 2014. July 9 from webpage http://www.wildlifetrusts.org/CAP