The contribution deals with the Slovak and the EU legal regulation of tobacco and tobacco products. Its primary purpose is to point out the Slovak and European legal acts which constitute the main regulatory instruments in this field using the method of analysis and synthesis. Rules of production, distribution and conditions of use of tobacco and products thereof are in the Slovak Republic contained mainly in two acts - the Act No 335/2011 Coll. on Tobacco Products and the Act No 377/2004 Coll. on the Protection of Non-smokers, as well as in special Decree No 212/2012 Coll., regulating tobacco products. Regulation of excise duty on tobacco products can be found in the Act with the same name - Act No 106/2004 Coll.. Another objective of the paper is also to draw attention to the amendment of Act on Protection of Non-smokers which entered into force on 1 July 2013. The European Union struggles with the negative consequences of smoking at the supranacional level and its institutions - the European Commission, the European Parliament and the Council of the EU - are already for several years adopting legal acts to facilitate uniformity and easier interpretation of European law also in the field of legal regulation of tobacco and tobacco products. The predominant part of the existing legislation deals with the approximation of laws in areas that are closely related to the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco products, but also to the collection of taxes from these products.
3. SIMAN, M. - SLAŠŤAN, M.: Pravo Europskej unie - inštitucionalny system a pravny poriadok Unie s judikaturou. 2012. EUROIURIS - Europske pravne centrum, o.z. Bratislava. ISBN 978-80-89406-12-8.
4. Mentolove cigarety budu zrejme minulosťou. [online]. Available at: [2013-06-24].
5. Zakonč. 106/2004 Z. z. o spotrebnej dani z tabakovych vyrobkov v zneni neskoršich predpisov.[online]. Available at: [2013-04-20].
7. Directive 2001/37/EC of the European parliament and of the Council of 5 June 2001 on the approximation of laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco products.[online]. Available at: [2013-04-23].
8. Commission regulation (EC) No 2182/2002 of 6 December 2002 laying down detailed rules for the application of Council Regulation (EEC) No 2075/92 with regard to the Community Tobacco Fund . [online]. Available at: [2013-03-23].
9. Council recommendation 2003/54/EC on the prevention of smoking and on intitiaves to improve tobacco control. [online]. Available at: [2013-04-19].
10. Commission decision 2003/641/EC of 5 September 2003 on the use of colour photographs or other illustrations as health warnings on tobacco packages.[online]. Available at: [2013-04-24].
11. Council directive 2011/64/EU of 21 June 2011 on the structure and rates of excise duty applied to manufactured tobacco. [online]. Available at: [2013-04-23].
12. Directive 2003/33/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 26 May 2003 on the approximation of the laws, regulations and administrative provisions of the Member States (26) Mentolove cigarety budu zrejme minulosťou. Available at: [2013-06-24] relating to the advertising and sponsorship of tobacco products. [online]. Available at: [2013-04-24].
13. Explanatory memorandum accompanying the Act on Protection of Non-smokers. Available at: [2013-05-30].
14. Prevention of smoking.[online]. Available at: [2013-04-24].
15. Community Tobacco Fund: information programmes.[online]. Available at: [2013-04-25].
16. Pripravuje sa v NR SR - Novela zakona o ochrane nefajčiarov. [online]. Available at: [2013-04-25].
17. Act on Protection of Non-smokers No 377/2004 Coll. Available at: [2013- 04-24].
18. Act on Tobacco Products No 355/2011 Coll. [online]. Available at: [2013-04-25].
19. Decree of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development No 212/2012 Coll. [online]. Available at: [2013-40-03].
20. Ban on smoking in public places. Available at: [2013-05-08].
21. Exposure to environmental tobacco smoke (Proposal). Available at: [2013-05-01].
22. Green Paper on promoting smoke-free areas in the European Union. Available at: [2013-04-25].
23. Writ No 2606/2004-100 of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Slovak republic and the Ministry of Health of the Slovak Republic, issuing the head of the Food Code of the Slovak Republic, regulating tobacco products. [online]. Available at: [2013-05-15].