Subject and purpose of work: Integrated fare to date is essential for the efficient functioning of city transport services and for the involvement of citizens to shift from private to public transport. Implementation of this kind is a necessary component of the future development of the city in the direction of smart mobility.
Materials and methods: The research focuses on evaluating the barriers and challenges towards the implementation of an integrated fare in Ukraine, mainly using the city of Kyiv as a case study.
Results: The article analyzes early attempts to introduce an integrated fare, problems in the way of implementation and, basically, the experience of the EU cities, which may later be adopted. Next, it outlines some critical aspects in the relationship between government policy, city authorities, transport operators and city residents in the context of the introduction of an integrated fare.
Conclusions: The study highlights such priority challenges as legal, organizational, technical and social.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Windecker, A. (2002). Defining the Gross Cost and Net Cost Options for New Delhi Public Transport. Transport. Journal of Public Transportation, 5(1), 87-104. https://doi.org/10.5038/2375-0901.5.1.5
2. Checked out for yourself: How did we use the Kyiv Smart Card electronic ticket for a month. Download from: https://bzh. life/ua/gorod/provereno-na-sebe-kak-my-mesyats-polzovalis-elektronnym-biletom-kyiv-smart-card?utm_source=face-book&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=article&fbclid=IwAR3SnZZrYXbwbwaeQj3uvuGjR8fL9nqYVbH77WMKArB-Wp5lDxztP6cNfBy4 (date of access: 10.08.2019).
6. Decision of the Kyiv City Council dated December 21, 2006 N 516/573 On Approval of the Program for the Construction of an Automated Payment System for Urban Passenger Transport, taking into account the Civil Benefit Categories “Social Transport Card”. Downloaded from: https://ips.ligazakon.net/document/view/MR060967?an=2 (date of access: 18.08.2019).
10. Cascetta, E., Carteni, A. (2014). A Quality-Based Approach to Public Transportation Planning: Theory and a Case Study. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 8(1), 84-106. https://doi.org/10.1080/15568318.2012.758532
11. Bianchi, F. (2012). Integrated Fare Systems for Local Public Transport: A Regional Prospective, 52nd Congress of the European Regional Science Association: “Regions in Motion - Breaking the Path”, 21-25 August 2012, Bratislava, Slovakia, European Regional Science Association (ERSA), Louvain-la-Neuve. Downloaded from: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/120627 (date of access: 11.08.2019).
12. Canitez, F., Alpkokin, P., Black, J.A. (2019). Agency costs in public transport systems: Net-cost contracting between the transport authority and private operators - impact on passengers. Cities, 86, 154-166. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cities.2018.09.010
17. Jiménez Serpa, J.C., Rojas Sánchez,A.E., Salas Rondón, S.R. (2015). Tariff Integration for Public Transportation in the Metropolitan Area of Bucaramanga, INGE CUC, 11(1), 25-33. https://doi.org/10.17981/ingecuc.11.1.2015.02
28. Komelina, O., Dubishchev, V., Lysenko, M., Panasenko, N. (2018). Ukraine unified transport system potential and its development management effectiveness integral assessment. International Journal of Engineering and Technology, 7(4.3), 633-638. https://doi.org/10.14419/ijet.v7i4.3.19972
30. Turner, P., Smith, B. (2001). Proceedings of 8th World Congress on Intelligent Transport Systems. Integrated Electronic Fare Collection – Field of Dreams? Sydney, Australia.
31. Chowdhury, S., Ceder, A. (2013). Definition of Planned and Unplanned Transfer of Public Transport Service and User Decisions to Use Routes with Transfers. Journal of Public Transportation, 16(2), 1-20. http://doi.org/10.5038/2375-0901.16.2.1
32. James, S. (2001). Put the Passenger First in Integrated Transport. Rapid Transit Review, 77-71.
34. The Law of Ukraine (2017). On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine regarding the introduction of an automated payment system for the payment of fares in urban public transport. Download from: https://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/1812-19?lang=en (date of access: 20.09.2019).