Chiari-like malformation represents a congenital anomaly that affects the bony cranial base and the hindbrain, leading to fluid filled cavities formation in the spinal cord, condition named Syringomyelia. This paper aims to assess the variety of the clinical signs and to evaluate the magnetic resonance imaging findings in thirty- seven Cavalier King Charles Spaniel dogs. The study was performed over a four-year period, from 2013 to 2017, all cases underwent neurological examination, full diagnostic work-up, including magnetic resonance imaging scans of the brain, cervical and upper thoracic spinal cord. Thirty-seven dogs were included in this study, 23 females and 14 males, with a mean age of 3.6±2.1years. The commonest clinical findings encountered were neuropathic pain and vocalization, seen in all 37 cases, followed by scratching, facial rubbing, paw licking, air licking, tail chasing, seizures and unilateral facial paralysis. Different grades of cerebellar herniation and cervical syrinxes were noted in all cases, other magnetic resonance imaging findings encountered were medullary kinking, presyrinx and ventriculomegaly. In establishing the diagnosis of the Chiari-like malformation and Syringomyelia, the breed, clinical history and the symptomatology are very important, but only magnetic resonance imaging technique can provide quantitative assessment of the nervous system lesions.
If the inline PDF is not rendering correctly, you can download the PDF file here.
1. Rusbridge C. Chiari-like malformation and Syringomyelia in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. PhD thesis, 2007
2. Knowler SP, McFadyen AK, Rusbridge C. Effectiveness of breeding guidelines for reducing the prevalence of syringomyelia. The Veterinary record. 2011;169(26):681.
3. Lewis T, Rusbridge C, Knowler P, Blott S, Woolliams JA. Heritability of syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. VetJ. 2010;183(3):345-7.
4. Loughin CA. Chiari-like Malformation. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2016 Mar;46(2):231-42
5. Pomianowski A, Adamiak Z. Syringomyelia and Chiari Malformation in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels - Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Pharmacological and Surgical Treatment. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 2013; 57, 131-133.
6. British Veterinary Association. (2013). Chiari Malformation/Syringomyelia Scheme (CM/SM Scheme). Canine Health Schemes
http://www.bva.co.uk/canine_health_schemes/ChiariMalformationSyringomyeliaSchemeCMSMScheme.aspx: Assessed 2013 July 8.
7. Cerda-Gonzalez S, Olby NJ, McCullough S, Pease AP, Broadstone R, Osborne JA. Morphology of the Caudal Fossa in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Vet. Radiology & Ultrasound, Jan/Feb 2009;50(1):37-46.
8. Lu D, Lamb CR, Pfeiffer DU, Targett MR. Neurological signs and results of magnetic resonance imaging in 40 cavalier King Charles spaniels with Chiari type 1-like malformations. The Veterinary Record, 2003, 153, 260-263.
9. da Costa RC, Moore SA. Differential Diagnosis of Spinal Diseases, Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice, 2010. 40 (5), 755-763.
10. Thofner MS, Stougaard CL, Westrup U, Madry AA, Knudsen CS, Berg H, Jensen CSE, Handby RML, Gredal H, Fredholm M, Berendt M. Prevalence and Heritability of Symptomatic Syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Long‐term Outcome in Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Littermates. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Jan-Feb; 29(1): 243-250. doi:
10. Thofner MS, Stougaard CL, Westrup U, Madry AA, Knudsen CS, Berg H, Jensen CSE, Handby RML, Gredal H, Fredholm M, Berendt M. Prevalence and Heritability of Symptomatic Syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels and Long‐term Outcome in Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Littermates. J Vet Intern Med. 2015 Jan-Feb; 29(1): 243-250. doi: 10.1111/jvim.12475)| false
11. Hechler AC, Moore SA. Understanding and Treating Chiari-like Malformation and Syringomyelia in Dogs. Topics in Companion Animal Medicine 33, 2018, pag 1-11
12. Couturier J, Rault D, Cauzinille L. Chiari-like malformation and syringomyelia in normal cavalier King Charles spaniels: a multiple diagnostic imaging approach. Journal of Small Animal Practice, 2008. 49, 438-443.
13. Rusbridge C, Knowler SP, Pieterse L, Mcfadyen AK. Chiari-like malformation in the Griffon Bruxellois, Journal of Small Animal Practice. 2009, 50, 386-393.
14. Loderstedt S, Benigni L, Chandler K, Cardwell JM, Rusbridge C, Lamb CR, Volk HA. Distribution of syringomyelia along the entire spinal cord in clinically affected Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Vet J Dec 2011; 190:359-363.
15. Lewis T, Rusbridge C, Knowler P, Blott S, Woolliams JA. Heritability of syringomyelia in Cavalier King Charles spaniels. The Veterinary Journal 183, 2010. 345-347.